Br. Jerome: Reflection on the Holy Rule. Aug 15

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2007

      +++ A great and wondrous sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed
      with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve
      stars on her head. +++

      Please continue your prayers for the Utah miners. We desperately
      need a miracle there.

      Please pray for the safe return of the Space Shuttle and all aboard.

      Please pray for the people of Hawaii. Although Hurricane Flossie was
      downgraded to a Category 2 hurricane Tuesday it stayed on course to
      brush the Big Island of Hawaii, after a 5.3 magnitude earthquake
      jolted Hawaii during the night.

      Loud DEO GRATIAS here! Sherri, whom we prayed for some time ago, has
      been declared cured of cancer! Please continue to pray for Bruce,
      struggling with chemo, and for Linda and Elizabeth struggling with
      radiation and chemo respectively.

      Please pray for three young ladies in the same parish who are being
      treated for cancer. Tiffany (Lockovich) Ford, Stephanie Hall, and
      Melissa Blauch. The
      first two are mothers each of a young son.

      Another loud Deo Gratias! Nadeem's wife for whom we have prayed had
      been diagnosed with Hepatitis. She has been tested again and is
      apparently free of any sign of Hepatitis.

      Prayers please for Catrina who is undergoing abdominal
      investigations for a long standing, but as yet unidentified,
      worrying problem.

      Please pray for all those whose prayer requests are not able to be
      posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time and our prayers
      are never, ever late. Lord, help us
      as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have
      taken their own lives.+

      Until the return of our good Brother Jerome please bless me with
      your prayer requests
      at: michael_oblate@...

      April 15, August 15, December 15
      Chapter 61: How Pilgrim Monks Are To Be Received

      If a pilgrim monastic coming from a distant region wants to live as
      a guest of the monastery,
      let her be received for as long a time as she desires, provided she
      is content with the customs of the place as she finds them and does
      not disturb the monastery by superfluous demands, but is simply
      content with what she finds. If, however, she censures or points out
      anything reasonably and with the humility of charity, let the Abbess
      consider prudently
      whether perhaps it was for that very purpose that the Lord sent her.

      If afterwards she should want to bind herself to stability, her wish
      should not be denied her,
      especially since there has been opportunity during her stay as a
      guest to discover her character.

      REFLECTION

      One of the Desert Fathers (forgive me for not recalling which one,)
      said that there is nothing so careful as a monk not living in his
      native land. That's very true for most of us, though part two of
      this chapter makes it clear that it's not true for everyone. When we
      visit, we want people to think the best of the home, the family, the
      land from which we came. It is this nobility of striving, this
      mindful courtesy that the Desert Father wished to praise. In fact, if
      I read it correctly, the implication was that it might even be
      better to be a monastic AWAY from one's native land for just those
      reasons.

      There is something striking here. Remember how badly the gyrovagues
      and Sarabaites were painted in the types of monks? Well, these were
      the wandering ones, and St. Benedict knew very well that a pilgrim
      monk at the door could be one of these sorts. He doesn't even
      mention it. He wants them to have a chance to do better, to be
      healed by community. If they blow it, fine, he's not going to lose a
      lot of sleep over it, but he does insist they be given a chance to
      improve. Given what the monastic world thought of gyrovagues and the
      like,
      that says a LOT for St. Benedict's tolerance and clemency.

      Not all of us are in cloisters, but all of us have doors. The people
      who come to those doors may be gyrovagues and Sarabaites, but they
      may not, too. We have to give them a chance to prove or reveal
      themselves. This is true of anyone we encounter. Snap judgments are
      not just unwise, they are forbidden. They can cheat us out of many
      gifts.

      Being too much or too little on the side of caution are both traps.
      Tread the middle way, always the middle way. Moderation in all
      things!

      This doesn't mean we have to dupe ourselves into perpetual
      vulnerability, but it does mean we have to be open, mindful and
      listening, really listening to all comers. Listen first, sift later.
      Do both, always both.