Br. Jerome: Reflection on the Holy Rule. Aug 14

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2007

      PLEASE PRAY FOR THE REPOSE OF THE SOUL OF SGT. CHRISTOPHER REYKA, A
      POLICE OFFICER, KILLED IN THE LINE OF DUTY DURING A ROUTINE TRAFFIC
      STOP IN BROWARD COUNTY, FLORIDA. PRAY FOR HIS WIDOW, KIMBERLY,
      THEIR 4 CHILDREN AND THEIR EXTENDED FAMILY. FR. DAVID AT ST LEO
      ABBEY IS KIMBERLY'S COUSIN.

      Please continue to pray the miners who are still trapped in Utah.
      Remember also the rescue teams and the family and friends of all
      involved.

      Please pray for the happy death and eternal rest of Dan, our
      wonderful neighbor of 47 years.

      Please pray for the 3 killed in the takeover of a church in Neosho,
      Missouri, their families, those injured, the perpetrator and EMS who
      responded

      Please pray for all those whose prayer requests were not able to be
      posted for whatever reason. God is outside of time and our prayers
      are never, ever late. Lord, help us as
      You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have
      taken their own lives.+

      Untill the return of our good Brother Jerome please bless me by with
      your prayer requests at: michael_oblate@...

      April 14, August 14, December 14
      Chapter 60: On Priests Who May Wish to Live in the Monastery

      If any ordained priest should ask to be received into the monastery,
      permission shall not be granted too readily. But if he is quite
      persistent in his request, let him know that he will have to observe
      the whole discipline of the Rule and that nothing will be relaxed in
      his favor,
      that it may be as it is written: "Friend, for what have you come
      (Matt. 26:50)?"

      It shall be granted him, however, to stand next after the Abbot and
      to give blessings and to celebrate Mass, but only by order of the
      Abbot. Without such order let him not make any exceptions for
      himself, knowing that he is subject to the discipline of the Rule;
      but rather let him give an example of humility to all.

      If there happens to be question of an appointment or of some
      business in the monastery,
      let him expect the rank due him according to the date of his
      entrance into the monastery,
      and not the place granted him out of reverence for the priesthood.

      If any clerics, moved by the same desire, should wish to join the
      monastery, let them be placed in a middle rank. But they too are to
      be admitted only if they promise observance of the Rule and
      stability.

      REFLECTION

      The quintessential question of the Holy Rule is that of
      Jesus: "Friend, for what have you come?" This question is not just
      for priests, but for each of us, for all Christians and all
      monastics. The only acceptable answer to the question is: "To seek
      God." That might be rephrased in any of a number of ways, but that's
      the main event, the only game in town, the end all and be all of
      Benedictine monastic life.

      It is very necessary, in stating that we seek God, to admit that we
      haven't altogether found Him yet, nor will we ever do so before
      death. Even in the beatific vision of heaven itself, we creatures
      will never, ever get to the root of our Creator, to the "ground
      zero" of God. Ain't gonna happen.

      Another way of saying this is that we need to come to the Holy Rule
      and to the Gospel and to Christ admitting how frighteningly little
      we DO know. If we think holy orders or an MDiv or an MD or a BS have
      corrected that problem, even slightly, well, maybe the sacrament or
      that degree is just about all we've gotten from the experience.

      For heaven's sake, after spending so many years of my life trying to
      become clever, or thinking I was, what a tremendous relief it is to
      be dumb: pluperfectly, fallibly, humanly, screamingly, shriekingly
      DUMB! Boy, I love it! Ignorance truly *IS* bliss, just like they told
      ya! Truly, with Socrates, we ought to know enough to know that we
      know nothing! Realizing that the very best of us has nothing but the
      barest tip of the iceberg is a great and tender mercy, indeed!

      In one sense, I heartily recommend it. It is the only position from
      which one may learn anything at all. Get too smart (or think you
      have!) and you will never listen, failing yet another Benedictine
      hallmark. You won't learn because all your energy will go into
      composing your rejoinder or response. Such people do not learn. They
      merely joust. Life is more than that, much more. Tons more.