Holy Rule for Aug. 2

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for:

      John, our young father of four, his ultrasound came out fine and no malignancy suspected.

      Ann, discernment prayers answered!

      Dave, very, very grateful for some time with his son and grandson. God is good!

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their families and those who treat or care for them:

      Ed, multiple sclerosis.

      Anne, serious back problem, perhaps inoperable.

      Jeanette, whom we have prayed for in the past, lung problems worsening and other threatening medical issues, and for her husband. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      April 2, August 2, December 2
      Chapter 51: On Brethren Who Go Not Very Far Away

      A Brother who is sent out on some business
      and is expected to return to the monastery that same day
      shall not presume to eat while he is out,
      even if he is urgently requested to do so
      by any person whomsoever,
      unless he has permission from his Abbot.
      And if he acts otherwise, let him be excommunicated.

      REFLECTION

      Remember that cloistered paradise of the heart I have written about
      before? All Benedictines, monks, nuns and oblates, must cultivate
      that monastic heart. Today's chapter is an excellent example.

      Like our Christianity itself, our Benedictinism must become part of
      us, rooted in our hearts, carried with us everywhere because it is
      inseparable from us. While the issue in this chapter is keeping the
      monastic who goes outside vigilant, mindful and observant, there is a
      particular application to oblates here. This concept of carrying the
      monastery with us becomes a principal means of evangelization, of
      being leaven in the dough of the world, of being a catalyst for peace.

      Remember that the Holy Rule teaches us that the observance of some
      things becomes easier with time. Happy the day when one wakes to find
      that even the smallest part of one's Benedictine struggle has become
      one's very self, an integral part of who one is. This realization
      will likely sneak up on one and catch us quite unawares, surprised by
      joy, as it were, to steal C. S. Lewis' phrase.

      With God's mercy and grace, those areas will increase over time. More
      and more we actually become the monastic we have been striving to be.
      That, beloveds, is an awesome feeling of joy, to say nothing of
      considerable relief!! Truly, m'dears, we shall one day, with God's help,
      "run in the way of His commandments with hearts enlarged."

      What St. Benedict is doing is pointing out that monasticism is not
      merely a job, a burden one doffs and dons. Monastic life is a
      becoming, not a set of standards one only follows when one is closely
      watched. The goal of monastic discipline is to make the disciple a
      monastic more or less by nature.

      In this respect, it closely resembles any training: nursing school is
      designed to make people nurses, law school to make attorneys,
      and so forth. The difference is that monasticism is not a set number of
      hours per week, it's all the week, all the life. Just as any nurse in a
      disaster instantly can shift into nursing mode, whether on duty or not,
      the spiritually trained monastic is operative everywhere, not just in
      the cloister.

      This is a fine and consoling point for Oblates who must live abroad.
      Lovely though our monasteries may be, they are not what makes us
      monastics. That is something deep within, a cloister of our hearts
      that we must learn to carry with us everywhere. Lots of people who
      must live in crowded and noisy cities actually do a better job of
      this than many monastics who live in rural peace. Take heart! It is
      not all about place. It is about heart, always heart. Train and fix
      your heart and you will always be fine!

      Petersham ,MA

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2016
        +PAX

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Sue's son, who died 13 years ago, aged 27,
        on August 3rd; also for her other son with whom they have a difficult
        relationship and who's coming over today, and her daughter who's joining
        them tomorrow. May their son know the love his family has for him and may
        God's grace heal them all.

        Prayers for Patrick, on his 28th birthday, graces galore and many more, ad
        multos annos! Prayers, too, for his parents.

        Prayers for Daniel, important meeting at work.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Joe C., and for all his family and all who
        mourn him. Not sure if he received the Sacraments or not.

        Prayers for Marion and Bob, personal and family issues.

        Catholics, please remember that Aug. 2 is the Portiuncula indulgence.
        Plenary indulgence under the usual conditions of Confession, Communion
        within 8
        days, freedom from all attachment to sin and prayers for the Holy Father's
        intentions, including an Apostles' Creed, according to one source, plus
        making a
        visit to the Blessed Sacrament in any parish Church on Aug. 2. The
        indulgence is
        applicable, of course, to the Holy Souls, too.

        Lord, help us all as You know