Holy Rule for July 28

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following and for all their loved ones and those who treat them:

      Daniel, depression, also a crisis in faith.

      Catherine, hospitalized due to pot-op infections.

      Jual, on chemo while pregnant, but she and baby seem to be doing well, Deo gratias. Baby Harmon will be delivered by C-section on Aug. 6, then Jual will have radical mastectomies on both breast on the 8th, so continued prayers, please!

      Launetta, 95, in hospice now, for her happy death when God calls her and for her son, Fr. Paul.

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Bill, who has gone to God, and for all his family, especially his niece, Sr. Mary Joseph.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL:

      March 28, July 28, November 27
      Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor

      Idleness is the enemy of the soul.
      Therefore the sisters should be occupied
      at certain times in manual labor,
      and again at fixed hours in sacred reading.
      To that end
      we think that the times for each may be prescribed as follows.

      From Easter until the Calends of October,
      when they come out from Prime in the morning
      let them labor at whatever is necessary
      until about the fourth hour,
      and from the fourth hour until about the sixth
      let them apply themselves to reading.
      After the sixth hour,
      having left the table,
      let them rest on their beds in perfect silence;
      or if anyone may perhaps want to read,
      let her read to herself
      in such a way as not to disturb anyone else.
      Let None be said rather early,
      at the middle of the eighth hour,
      and let them again do what work has to be done until Vespers.

      And if the circumstances of the place or their poverty
      should require that they themselves
      do the work of gathering the harvest,
      let them not be discontented;
      for then are they truly monastics
      when they live by the labor of their hands,
      as did our Fathers and the Apostles.
      Let all things be done with moderation, however,
      for the sake of the faint-hearted.

      REFLECTION

      I offer this as further proof of St. Benedict's tenderness and
      gentleness: take a nap. OK, say the siesta is Italian and cultural.
      Fine, but there were plenty of cultural elements he didn't let
      through the monastery gate. It was a LOT hotter in Egypt and one
      doesn't hear the Fathers telling people to lie down and rest, much
      less saying that those who cannot sleep dare not wake those who can
      with their noisiness! This is a gentle Father we have!

      Surely moderation is one of the key elements woven throughout the
      Holy Rule, but isn't it at least worthy of note that it is stressed
      here, in the chapter on work? St. Benedict may not have had all the
      handy psychobabble terms that we use today to name things, but he had
      a piercingly clear perception of human nature.

      He knew that some people were workaholics and that their contemplative
      focus would be shattered by that. He knew some people were obsessive
      about trivia that didn't matter. He knew that some people were very
      loving caregivers who would turn into flaming doormats, abused by their own
      kindness and inability to say "No," politely, by their doubt that
      anything is ever enough. All these things can harm, not only prayer, but
      even our primary vocations themselves, marriage, parenthood, family or
      cloister!!

      So, he counters all that by saying: "Take a nap!" Hey, what a great
      reality check! Wake up, y'all, the world has an axis already and
      there is no need for you to duplicate services: it ain't spinning around
      you or your hyper-efforts! Take a nap! God will manage fine without
      you for an hour or so!

      St. Benedict certainly knows that many things are important, even
      essential and he is not at all shy about pointing them out. In the midst
      of all that, he says: "Take a nap!" If you can't nap, he doesn't even say "pray,"
      he tells the insomniac to read quietly and not to wake the nappers!!

      Look, we are known for our motto of pray and work, ora et labora. One
      might well assume that if you couldn't be working, you ought to at
      least be praying. Not so. Take a nap. Balance it out. Try pulling
      your arm out of a bucket of water and see what happens. Water closes
      right in, no problem. Much depends on us, but usually much less than
      we are prone to pridefully think! Take a nap!

      Our world around us will gladly and readily tell us that we are worth
      nothing other than our productivity, our work, our profitability. St.
      Benedict wants to be sure that when we come to his monastery, we see
      those distorted values of human dignity for the falsehoods they
      really are. He wants us to work, yes, but to see work in the deep
      humility of truth. A consumerist society has taught us the exact
      opposite of that and we all need to patiently spend lots of time
      peeling those scales from our eyes with the help of God and St.
      Benedict.

      Take a nap!

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 27, 2016
        +PAX

        Prayers for Joe, recovering from spinal surgery and now readmitted with a
        clot on his lung and a bowel obstruction. Prayers for his healing and for
        the spiritual welfare of both Joe and Peggy, his wife. Prayers, too, for
        Judy and all his siblings and family, for the health and spiritual welfare
        of them all.

        Prayers for Corey, stage five kidney failure, his kidneys are barely
        functioning, and for all his family.

        Prayers for Father Jim. Surgery was performed today, with removal of some of
        the clot by catheter. Still too much blood on the brain for a Cat Scan. He
        is currently intubated. Please pray for the fulfillment God's Perfect Will
        for him.

        Prayers for Raymond, a very sad case of combined bipolar disease, alcohol
        and drug addiction. Prayers for his spiritual and physical health and
        healing.

        Prayers for Bobbie, getting a dual chamber pacemaker implanted, and for her
        worried husband, Michael, and all their family.

        Prayers for Kevin, terminally ill and trying to prepare for a happy death,
        may he get all the grace he needs and all the Sacraments at the proper time.

        Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor

        Idleness is the enemy of the soul.
        Therefore the sisters should be occupied
        at certain times in manual labor,
        and again at fixed hours in sacred reading.
        To that end
        we think that the times for each may be prescribed as follows.

        From Easter until the Calends of October,
[...]

        about trivia that didn't matter. He knew that some people would be abused by

        http://www.stmarysmonastery.org <http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/>

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 27

          +PAX

          Prayers for Abbot Daniel Malony, OSB, newly elected Abbot of Assumption Abbey, Richardton, North Dakota, and for all his Community,

          Deo gratias and prayers of thanks for the two sisters we have been praying for. Leah has been moved out of ICU to a respiratory acute care unit and is slowly progressing, though she has a long way to go. Rebekah is at home and also making progress. Remember that when we began to pray, Leah was very nearly dying. God is good! Continued prayers for the complete recovery of both.

          Prayers for the gift of faith for Tara.

          Prayers for Joe P. his and family, he has stage 3 prostate cancer. His treatment has an 85% probability of success, so his prognosis is good, but he's had cancer previously, so prayers that all goes well.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Kaydence, 14, who lost her battle with bone cancer, and for all her family and all who mourn her.

          Prayers for Kevin, terminally ill and trying to prepare for a happy death,
          may he get all the grace he needs and all the Sacraments at the proper time.

          Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor

          Idleness is the enemy of the soul.
          Therefore the sisters should be occupied
          at certain times in manual labor,
          and again at fixed hours in sacred reading.
          To that end
          we think that the times for each may be prescribed as follows.

          From Easter until the Calends of October,