Holy Rule for July 27

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, and for all their families:

      AJ addiction issues.

      Stephen, post-op hip surgery, also cancer and alcoholism.

      Gilda, stroke.

      Madelyn, cancer.

      Michael, pains of unknown origin in his shoulder and elsewhere.

      Dot, for whom we have prayed about her mastectomy, her oncologist was surprised; he expected her cancer to be more advanced than it was, lymph involvement, etc., but it is not. Dot credits prayers and I think rightly so! Deo gratias and continued prayers, as she is on a strong drug to prevent recurrence.

      Chapter 47: On Giving the Signal for the Time of the Work of God

      The indicating of the hour for the Work of God by day and by night
      shall devolve upon the Abbot either to give the signal himself
      or to assign this duty to such a careful brother that everything will
      take place at the proper hours. Let the Psalms and the antiphons be
      intoned by those who are appointed for it, in their order after the
      Abbot. And no one shall presume to sing or read unless he can fulfill
      that office in such a way as to edify the hearers.
      Let this function be performed with humility, gravity and reverence, and
      by him whom the Abbot has appointed.

      REFLECTION

      Our families are varied, both in monasteries and in the world. Not
      everyone has the gift of song or of reading aloud. Of those who do,
      not everyone has the gifts of love and humility and these, too, must
      be taken into account. The Solesmes Congregation is the world
      authority in Gregorian chant, but even they must live by the Holy
      Rule. I love the story of an Abbot of one their abbeys who used to
      take the choir master down a peg or two when he thought he was being too
      dominant, singing too loud, or too much of a soloist. He would tell the
      offender to sing sotto voce for a given amount of time as a reality
      check. Now there's a smart Abbot!

      In Benedictine families, those who can are forbidden to look down on
      those who cannot. Those who can are also forbidden to "star" in their
      own productions. We have a place and function for everyone and that
      place is firmly guarded by love, humility and equality. We do care that
      word and chant be proclaimed edifyingly, even nobly, but the minute we
      get sucked into the idiocy of performance or divahood of either gender,
      the whole thing is flushed. As so often, the Holy Rule's clear message
      is: "Get a life! Get real!"

      We have vocations, not careers. If any job becomes our life, it is
      time to change because, to us, any job is work, nothing more. It may be
      prayerful work, but it is just work. In and of itself, it has no more
      (or less!) relation to our monastic calling than cleaning
      toilets or taking out the garbage. The manner and attitude we give to
      any task whatsoever can either advance us on the monastic path,
      stymie us, or pull us back. A superior who knows this and assigns
      offices accordingly can be a very, very great blessing to all. One
      who does not should be envied by none.

      Father Gregory, our newest priest, has not the gift of song. He knows
      that and we know that. It has never been easy for him when his turn came
      up to be hebdomad in choir. We wondered what would happen when
      ordination turned him, perforce, into a celebrant. We shouldn't have.

      I think some of Father's problem may be a genuine inability, one he
      could have allowed to make him throw up his hands and quit, one he
      could have let overcome him. He didn't do that. He tried and still
      tries so admirably that it truly edifies me every time he sings.

      He sings with tremendous concentration and humility, and all of us know
      that these are born of a deep love and obedience in him. I have often
      told Father that his voice pleases God more than any in our choir and I
      mean that. He has, with practice, improved a great deal, but that is not
      at all the focus: his efforts are, his determination and love and
      obedience are. Father Gregory gives the best possible example of how a
      Benedictine ought to sing. Would to God that we all had his grace.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26, 2016

        +PAX

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Jacques Hamel, 86,  killed in a terror attack while saying Mass, and for the hostages, one of whom was wounded seriously, and for the conversion and repentance of the attacker.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of the 19 killed in the mass murder in  Japan, and for the 25 wounded and their recovery. Prayers for the families of all and the repentance and conversion of the attacker.

        Prayers for Peter, having an exam for his driver’s license.

        Prayers for Robert W., rushed to the hospital with pneumonia, and for his wife, Vivienne.

        Prayers for Ron C., having a hip replacement next week, for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

        Prayers for Ryan, special intention.

        Prayers for Jenny, troubles at Church are making her resolve to stop attending. Ardent prayers that she doesn’t stop receiving the Sacraments.

        Prayers for Tim and Lorraine, 29th wedding anniversary yesterday. Ad multos annos, many more!

        Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Erma and for all her family and all who mourn her.

        Prayers for Tim, discerning his vocation.

        Lord, help us all as You know and
        Him! Thanks so much. JL

        March 27, July 27, November 26
        Chapter 47: On Giving the Signal for the Time of the Work of God

        The indicating of the hour for the Work of God
        by day and by night
        shall devolve upon the Abbot
        either to give the signal himself
        or to assign this duty to such a careful brother
        that everything will take place at the proper hours.

        Let the Psalms and the antiphons be intoned
        by those who are appointed for it,
        in their order after the Abbot.
        And no one shall presume to sing or read
        unless he can fulfill that office
        in such a way as to edify the hearers.
        Let this function be performed
        with humility, gravity and reverence,
        and by him whom the Abbot has appointed.

        REFLECTION

        A quickie here that applies to all, in monastery or out. It sometimes
        happens that we desire a job we ought not to have. It sometimes
        happens that we get a job that is too much for us and realize that in
        the midst of things. These are times for the great truthfulness of
        humility, to either stop seeking the task in question or to frankly
        admit that we cannot do it as it should be done.

        Such honesty is hard, to be sure. Our hearts get in the way. We are
        attached to things which are in themselves good, but which would not
        be good for us. Not everyone would make a great parent, but there are
        plenty of people who want to be badly, whether in fact they would be
        good at it or not! Whoops! Tough on the kid there! There are also
        people who would be superb parents who cannot be, yet another
        thing to be accepted truthfully.

        Anyone who has ever seen karaoke or open mike night or a piano bar
        knows that MANY who would love to be cabaret singers are far from
        that! What our hearts call us to is not always true, alas! Perhaps
        most of us have also known people who would have been fantastic
        spouses who are quite inexplicably alone.

        A big part of discerning here is careful, frank self-examination and
        self-knowledge. Another huge piece of the puzzle is looking at where
        we REALLY are and where God has presumably placed us. Not everything
        is open to every age, place or time. Were I to decide that I
        absolutely HAD to become a flamingo farmer in central New England,
        the flamingoes would be MOST unhappy by next December or so, and most
        likely all dead well before February! See what I mean?

        Because our hearts are involved, there is pain when the thing desired
        is not for us. That is hard, beloveds, but pain need not be futile or
        useless. Unite your pains to those of Christ and His Mystical Body,
        to those of His Passion that all of us help bear throughout the rest
        of time. Then the Father will see only His beloved Son when He looks
        at us. Then the world will be somehow better and helped by our
        suffering, mute and unknown. Nothing is wasted with God and His
        Divine Mercy. Nothing! Nothing at all!

        Love and prayers and don't waste suffering, y'all!