Holy Rule for July 22

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 21, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers fo thanks and Deo gratias for a very wonderful Oblate Day held here today!

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, and for all their families and all who mourn them:

      Kate, and that her family may give her firends a way to memorialize her.

      William, 52, who died of cancer, and especially for his wife and 17 year old son.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, and for all their families and those who treat or care for them:

      Infant Rebecca, suffering from seizures, cause unknown.

      Jim, having cataract surgery this Tuesday. Lord, help us allm as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      At the hour for the Divine Office,
      as soon as the signal is heard,
      let them abandon whatever they may have in hand
      and hasten with the greatest speed,
      yet with seriousness, so that there is no excuse for levity.
      Let nothing, therefore, be put before the Work of God.

      If at the Night Office
      anyone arrives after the "Glory be to the Father" of Psalm 94 --
      which Psalm for this reason we wish to be said
      very slowly and protractedly --
      let him not stand in his usual place in the choir;
      but let him stand last of all,
      or in a place set aside by the Abbot for such negligent ones
      in order that they may be seen by him and by all.
      He shall remain there until the Work of God has been completed,
      and then do penance by a public satisfaction.
      the reason why we have judged it fitting
      for them so stand in the last place or in a place apart
      is that,
      being seen by all,
      they may amend for very shame.
      For if they remain outside of the oratory,
      there will perhaps be someone who will go back to bed and sleep
      or at least seat himself outside and indulge in idle talk,
      and thus an occasion will be provided for the evil one.
      But let them go inside,
      that they many not lose the whole Office,
      and may amend for the future.

      At the day Hours
      anyone who does not arrive at the Work of God
      until after the verse
      and the "Glory be to the Father" for the first Psalm following it
      shall stand in the last place,
      according to our ruling above.
      Nor shall he presume to join the choir in their chanting
      until he has made satisfaction,
      unless the Abbot should pardon him and give him permission;
      but even then the offender must make satisfaction for his fault.

      REFLECTION

      First, an aside. The signal to get moving, whatever it may be, is
      usually a bell or something like it. Our modern age looks at any
      request or command we don't like as a time to start negotiations, not
      to obey. We may euphemize this with terms like "dialogue" but the
      bottom line is finding a graceful way to say either "Heck, NO!" or
      considerably less than "Yes!" or "OK, fine!" Bells, however, are
      inexorable and there is no point in arguing with them. Their stoic
      silence will win every time! It is worth remembering that, in the old
      days, the bell was known as the "vox Dei," the voice of God.

      As usual, there is a gem buried here that gets lost in the wash of
      being late or being on time or kneeling out or not. That treasure
      is: "Let nothing, therefore, be put before the Work of God." (Older
      translations had: "let nothing be preferred to the Work of God." This
      has usually been cited, quite rightly, a a basis for the centrality
      of liturgy in Benedictine life, but that is an incomplete view, one
      which leaves riches beyond telling unmined. The full sense of this
      goes well beyond liturgy. And FAR beyond musical fussiness about
      chant!

      For the monastic, EVERYTHING is in some way the work of God. ALL of
      God's will for us becomes a priority. That's what our commitment
      means. Monastic struggle sacralizes every jot and tittle. In one
      sense, there is no small stuff anymore. (That can be a trap for the
      scrupulous if over-applied, so watch out, folks!) The distinction
      between sacred and profane is all but obliterated. Our life is of a
      whole, and that holistic life is most often informed of God's wishes
      for us by obedience.

      That can require tremendous faith and trust in God, but God does
      reward such trust richly beyond our dreams. It is often best if one
      starts out as a novice with a real goofus for a novicemaster. This is
      helpful in several ways. For one thing, if you start out with a great
      novicemaster and encounter your first loser in charge in mid-life, it can be a
      terrible crisis. For another, when one looks back, one can see
      clearly (as hindsight so often does!) that ALL our treasure comes in
      earthen vessels, that even a far less than optimal individual can often
      be a pipeline through which God's will flows unimpeded. I am living proof
      of that!

      Contemporary attempts by some to reduce all Benedictine obedience to
      a process of dialogue or negotiation, or to make it a communal
      affair or a consensual one are terribly false and far off the mark. The textual
      evidence of the Holy Rule, as well as historical and traditional
      evidence simply do not support such claims.

      The Rule speaks of dialogue only when one is commanded to do the impossible,
      and even then, if the superior insists, one must trust and obey. Tough saying,
      but obedience works best when it isn't a lot of fun... Consider the "merit"
      gained when I smile over an open carton of ice cream, heaping it into a bowl and say: "My doctor absolutely INSISTS that these meds be taken with food!"

      But back to priorities. Surely the Office comes first before lesser
      obediences. Being late because one finished something that could wait
      is a poor excuse, because it shows what is valued most- one's own
      will.

      On the other hand, when I was a teenager, my life was hell. I
      LOVED the Catholic high school I went to with deep gratitude, but
      there were many, many days when my emotional energy was so completely
      expended on just hanging on that there was nothing else I COULD put
      first. Showing up at all took all my energy, never mind early or
      late.

      It surely wasn't that I DIDN'T care, it was that I couldn't, I
      honestly had nothing left to care with. At times like this, it takes
      a careful and loving eye to perceptively see what's really going on
      before dumping punishment on one.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 21, 2016
        +PAX

        Prayers, please for Fr. John C. and his ministry, may God fill him with His
        grace.

        Prayers for KT, for a good lawyer and financial needs.

        Deo gratias, Daniel's doctor was not alarmed at the lump on his wrist,
        continued prayers that it does not grow.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Ed, killed in a car accident, and for the
        eternal rest of Cathy, his widow, and for all their family and all who mourn
        them.

[...]

        usually a bell. Our modern age looks at any
        request or command we don't like as a time to start negotiations, not
        to obey. Bells, however, are
        inexorable and there is no point in arguing with them. It is worth
        remembering
        that, in the old days, the bell was known as the "vox Dei," the voice of
        God.

        As usual, there is a gem buried here that gets lost in the wash of
        being late or being on time or kneeling out or not. That treasure
        is: "Let nothing, therefore, be put before the Work of God." Older
        translations had: "let nothing be preferred to the Work of God." This
        has usually been cited, quite rightly, a basis for the centrality
        of liturgy in Benedictine life, but that is an incomplete view, one
        which leaves riches beyond telling unmined. The full sense of this
        goes well beyond liturgy.

        For the monastic, everything but sin is in some way the work of God. ALL of
        God's will for us becomes a priority. That's what our commitment
        means. Monastic struggle sacralizes every jot and tittle. In one
        sense, there is no small stuff anymore. (That can be a trap for the
        scrupulous if over-applied, so watch out, folks!) The distinction
        between sacred and profane is all but obliterated. Our life is of a
        whole, and that holistic life is most often informed of God's wishes
        for us by obedience.

        That can require tremendous faith and trust in God, but God does
        reward such trust richly beyond our dreams. Much of our treasure comes in
        earthen vessels, so that even a far less than optimal individual can often
        be a pipeline through which God's will flows unimpeded.

        Contemporary attempts by some to reduce all Benedictine obedience to
        a process of dialogue or negotiation, or to make it a communal
        affair or a consensual one are terribly false and far off the mark. The
        textual
        evidence of the Holy Rule and the historical and traditional

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 21

          +PAX

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Thomas Droppers, and for his wife and family and all who mourn him.

          Prayers for those threatened by a terrible storm and flooding on the South Island of New Zealand. Landslides and other natural disasters, some areas have declared states of emergency. Prayers for the safety of all, may God spare them. Prayers that people don’t have to be evacuated.

          Prayers for C., a very terrible spiritual crisis, complicated by mental health issues. Many ardent prayers needed here, please.

          Prayers for Roe W., breast cancer surgery scheduled for August 7, prayers for a successful surgery and a speedy and complete recovery.

          Prayers for Dorothy’s two nieces, both have  breast cancer, one where the cancer cells have spread to the brain and bones. The other just started chemo treatments on Tuesday.

          Prayers for urgent special intentions for Frs. Brendan and Basil.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Ed, killed in a car accident, and for the eternal rest of Cathy, his widow, now also deceased, and for all their family and all who mourn them. They were not married in the Church, so many extra prayers, please.

[...]

          usually a bell. Our modern age looks at any request or command

          we don't like as a time to start negotiations, not to obey. Bells, however,