Holy Rule for July 20

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 19, 2007

      Prayers, please, for the success of our Oblate Day on Saturday, July 21. May all of us be filled with God's graces. There will be a first this time: all the monks and nuns and oblates will eat together in the monks' refectory. Quite an exceptional event!

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Margaret, nearing the end of her struggle with cancer, and for all her family and all who will mourn her.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their families and those who treat or care for them:

      Kevin, medications failed to correct his heart condition, a controversial procedure will be tried now. He is a young husband and father, so special prayers for his wife, Hilda, and their children, 2 and 7 years old.

      Amy, recurrent osteosarcoma.

      Lynn, on-going cardiac testing after some disturbing results.

      Chapter 41: At What Hours the Meals Should Be Taken

      From holy Easter until Pentecost
      let the brothers take dinner at the sixth hour
      and supper in the evening.

      From Pentecost throughout the summer,
      unless the monks have work in the fields
      let them fast on Wednesdays and Fridays until the ninth hour;
      on the other days let them dine at the sixth hour.
      This dinner at the sixth hour shall be the daily schedule
      if they have work in the fields
      or the heat of summer is extreme;
      the Abbot's foresight shall decide on this.

      Thus it is that he should adapt and arrange everything
      in such a way that souls may be saved
      and that the brethren may do their work
      without just cause for murmuring.

      From the Ides of September until the beginning of Lent
      let them always take their dinner at the ninth hour.

      In Lent until Easter let them dine in the evening.
      But this evening hour shall be so determined
      that they will not need the light of a lamp while eating,
      Indeed at all seasons
      let the hour, whether for supper or for dinner, be so arranged
      that everything will be done by daylight.

      REFLECTION

      Something like one third of the United States population is said to
      be medically overweight. We don't notice it so much, because we are
      used to it, but go to another country and you will see far less
      obesity than at home. No doubt our affluence and unhealthy diet is
      largely to blame here. Think of the last news clip you saw from
      Japan: most of the people are of average weight for their height.

      It's a fair guess that this attitude to food in the US has influenced
      our attitude to fasting negatively. Now we look on the least thing as
      a dreadful privation, when those of us Roman Catholics over fifty can
      clearly recall meatless Fridays every week, all year and fasting from
      midnight for Communion, even if you were only 7 years old!!

      When the US Bishops addressed the issue of Friday abstinence, they
      did not abolish it. They merely said some other form of penance might
      be substituted. Whoops! That got lost in a big hurry. How many of us-
      me included- do something extra on Friday because we do not abstain
      from meat? Might be time to take a really hard look at that.

      As always, Oblates in the world must find ways that they can fast or
      abstain without imposing monastic ways on their non-monastic
      families. However, it is worthy of note that Friday abstinence is of
      the Church, not the Holy Rule and might be safely re-instituted, with
      careful explanation as to WHY we do it, for whole families.

      The meatless idea might be easiest for many, but what if something
      else was done to really set Friday apart? Skip one, just one half-
      hour TV show and you have a slot for a devotional family practice
      like the Scripture sharing or the Rosary. Could we imagine just 30
      minutes once a week of TV gone? What if (horrors!) you chose to skip
      a show you like, but the kids don't? Find something that works for
      you and then be faithful to it.

      Our spirits are like our bodies in many respects. If we get soft, we
      get weak, if we get lazy, our energy actually diminishes while our
      total lives suffer from that inactivity. That's why Christian life
      itself, not just monastic life, is a life requiring a fair amount of
      discipline, of pushing oneself, of self-denial. Those values still
      exist in the secular world, but are usually only invoked for profit,
      power, athletics or sex. See what I mean? We need badly to get our
      acts together in affluent, developed nations.