Holy Rule for July 20

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 19 7:44 PM
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the success of our Oblate Day on Saturday, July 21. May all of us be filled with God's graces. There will be a first this time: all the monks and nuns and oblates will eat together in the monks' refectory. Quite an exceptional event!

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Margaret, nearing the end of her struggle with cancer, and for all her family and all who will mourn her.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their families and those who treat or care for them:

      Kevin, medications failed to correct his heart condition, a controversial procedure will be tried now. He is a young husband and father, so special prayers for his wife, Hilda, and their children, 2 and 7 years old.

      Amy, recurrent osteosarcoma.

      Lynn, on-going cardiac testing after some disturbing results.

      Chapter 41: At What Hours the Meals Should Be Taken

      From holy Easter until Pentecost
      let the brothers take dinner at the sixth hour
      and supper in the evening.

      From Pentecost throughout the summer,
      unless the monks have work in the fields
      let them fast on Wednesdays and Fridays until the ninth hour;
      on the other days let them dine at the sixth hour.
      This dinner at the sixth hour shall be the daily schedule
      if they have work in the fields
      or the heat of summer is extreme;
      the Abbot's foresight shall decide on this.

      Thus it is that he should adapt and arrange everything
      in such a way that souls may be saved
      and that the brethren may do their work
      without just cause for murmuring.

      From the Ides of September until the beginning of Lent
      let them always take their dinner at the ninth hour.

      In Lent until Easter let them dine in the evening.
      But this evening hour shall be so determined
      that they will not need the light of a lamp while eating,
      Indeed at all seasons
      let the hour, whether for supper or for dinner, be so arranged
      that everything will be done by daylight.

      REFLECTION

      Something like one third of the United States population is said to
      be medically overweight. We don't notice it so much, because we are
      used to it, but go to another country and you will see far less
      obesity than at home. No doubt our affluence and unhealthy diet is
      largely to blame here. Think of the last news clip you saw from
      Japan: most of the people are of average weight for their height.

      It's a fair guess that this attitude to food in the US has influenced
      our attitude to fasting negatively. Now we look on the least thing as
      a dreadful privation, when those of us Roman Catholics over fifty can
      clearly recall meatless Fridays every week, all year and fasting from
      midnight for Communion, even if you were only 7 years old!!

      When the US Bishops addressed the issue of Friday abstinence, they
      did not abolish it. They merely said some other form of penance might
      be substituted. Whoops! That got lost in a big hurry. How many of us-
      me included- do something extra on Friday because we do not abstain
      from meat? Might be time to take a really hard look at that.

      As always, Oblates in the world must find ways that they can fast or
      abstain without imposing monastic ways on their non-monastic
      families. However, it is worthy of note that Friday abstinence is of
      the Church, not the Holy Rule and might be safely re-instituted, with
      careful explanation as to WHY we do it, for whole families.

      The meatless idea might be easiest for many, but what if something
      else was done to really set Friday apart? Skip one, just one half-
      hour TV show and you have a slot for a devotional family practice
      like the Scripture sharing or the Rosary. Could we imagine just 30
      minutes once a week of TV gone? What if (horrors!) you chose to skip
      a show you like, but the kids don't? Find something that works for
      you and then be faithful to it.

      Our spirits are like our bodies in many respects. If we get soft, we
      get weak, if we get lazy, our energy actually diminishes while our
      total lives suffer from that inactivity. That's why Christian life
      itself, not just monastic life, is a life requiring a fair amount of
      discipline, of pushing oneself, of self-denial. Those values still
      exist in the secular world, but are usually only invoked for profit,
      power, athletics or sex. See what I mean? We need badly to get our
      acts together in affluent, developed nations.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 19 3:04 PM
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Lucille, on her birthday, and for
        her son, Allen, her nephew, and all her family and all who mourn her.

        Prayers for a speedy recovery from surgery for Sharon and that her biopsy is
        benign.

        Prayers for Raven's baby, due in January, a spot has been found on her
        heart. Prayers for the health and safety of both mother and baby, and for a
        safe delivery.

        Prayers for Fr. Constantine, OSB, of St. Vincent's Archabbey, having
        cataract surgery.

        Prayers for Tim H., entering probation to be an Oblate in the UK.

        Prayers for Fr. Michael Peterson, OSB, and for the students he is leading on
        a pilgrimage to World Youth Day in Poland, for safe travels and a holy trip
        of many blessings for all.

        Prayers for Jimmy, on death row in Pennsylvania since 1992. Awaiting
        judgment after his latest appeal. He is innocent, so he gets very depressed
        at times.

        Prayers for Liz, aged 94, who may be entering a new phase of her dementia.
        Prayers too for all her excellent Care Home staff and for her son, Kevan and
        all her family.

        Prayers or Paul, that he continues to improve, and for his loving and faith
        filled Parents.

        Prayers for Stuart, in hospital with pneumonia and heart failure. He and
        Diana his Wife were on a well earned holiday after Stuart's retirement. The
        hospital is in Wales and at some point, he will be transferred to Norwich.
        That God's Holy Angels will guard and guide this.

        Prayers for independence for K., and for a job or means of support that God
        wills.

        Prayers for John, in a difficult position at work. He's fixing the mistakes
        of others and working from about 5 am until 7 pm each day, and feeling
        pretty exhausted. Prayers that God aids him however He sees fit.

        Prayers for Natalie, preparing for big exams in September which she has to
        pass in order to go on to the next stage of her PhD.

        grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much, BJL

        March 20, July 20, November 19
        Chapter 41: At What Hours the Meals Should Be Taken

        From holy Easter until Pentecost
        let the brothers take dinner at the sixth hour
        and supper in the evening.

        From Pentecost throughout the summer,
        unless the monks have work in the fields
        let them fast on Wednesdays and Fridays until the ninth hour;
        on the other days let them dine at the sixth hour.
        This dinner at the sixth hour shall be the daily schedule
        if they have work in the fields
        or the heat of summer is extreme;
        the Abbot's foresight shall decide on this.

        Thus it is that he should adapt and arrange everything
        in such a way that souls may be saved
        and that the brethren may do their work
        without just cause for murmuring.

        From the Ides of September until the beginning of Lent
        let them always take their dinner at the ninth hour.

        In Lent until Easter let them dine in the evening.
        But this evening hour shall be so determined
        that they will not need the light of a lamp while eating,
        Indeed at all seasons
        let the hour, whether for supper or for dinner, be so arranged
        that everything will be done by daylight.

        REFLECTION

        It's a fair guess that our attitude to food in the US has influenced
[...]

        a show you like? Find something that works for

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19 3:28 PM

          +PAX

          Prayers for the release of two priests, Fr. Charles and Fr. Jean-Pierre,  abducted in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and prayers for three other priests abducted in 2012 and not seen since. Prayers for all who have died  in the violence there and for their families and all who mourn them. Prayers for the conversion of those responsible for the killings and violence.

          Prayers for George H., 54, in the hospital in critical condition with colon cancer. Prayers for his healing or, if God chooses to call him now, for his happy death. Prayers, too, for his father, Dennis, and all their family.

          Prayers for Clare’s husband’s two brothers, both have cancer and one, Charlie, is not doing well.

          Prayers for Anne, having her second cataract operation today. Please pray that it will be successful and that her other eye will focus properly again. Prayers for John, her husband, too.

          The sisters we have been praying for are doing well. Leah is due to be taken off the ventilator Thursday, but is still in ICU. Rebecca is much better, just on oxygen now. Continued prayers for both, and for their mother and families.

          Prayers that some deleted Catholic pages on social media may be restored.

          grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much, BJL

          March 20, July 20, November 19
          Chapter 41: At What Hours the Meals Should Be Taken

          From holy Easter until Pentecost
          let the brothers take dinner at the sixth hour
          and supper in the evening.

          From Pentecost throughout the summer,
          unless the monks have work in the fields
          let them fast on Wednesdays and Fridays until the ninth hour;
          on the other days let them dine at the sixth hour.
          This dinner at the sixth hour shall be the daily schedule
          if they have work in the fields
          or the heat of summer is extreme;
          the Abbot's foresight shall decide on this.

          Thus it is that he should adapt and arrange everything
          in such a way that souls may be saved
          and that the brethren may do their work
          without just cause for murmuring.

          From the Ides of September until the beginning of Lent