Holy Rule for July 12

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007
      +PAX

      Brenna asks prayers of thanks and Deo gratias, Pete, her assistance dog, is doing much better! She also asks prayers for a job she has applied for, if God wills, let it be!

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, and for all their families and those who treat or care for them:

      Edward, 85, brain tumor removed, but still growing, needing chemo. His prognosis is for about 18 months of life. Special prayers for his family, for whom this is very hard.

      Brian, in a severe manic phase, perhaps off his meds and possibility of violence, and for his worried Mom.

      Maria's son, Jeff, for whom we prayed after his heart attack, now require bypass surgery next week, so continued prayers and Maria thanks all for their prayers.

      Chapter 34: Whether All Should Receive in Equal Measure What Is
      Necessary

      Let us follow the Scripture,
      "Distribution was made to each
      according as anyone had need" (Acts 4:35).
      By this we do not mean that there should be respecting of persons
      (which God forbid),
      but consideration for infirmities.
      She who needs less should thank God and not be discontented;
      but she who needs more
      should be humbled by the thought of her infirmity
      rather than feeling important
      on account of the kindness shown her.
      Thus all the members will be at peace.

      Above all, let not the evil of murmuring appear
      for any reason whatsoever
      in the least word or sign.
      If anyone is caught at it,
      let her be placed under very severe discipline.

      REFLECTION

      One reason murmuring is so strongly proscribed here is that its
      origin in this case is likely to be from jealousy. Jealousy is a
      terrible thing in any human being, but even more treacherous when the
      people involved have to live and work together in community. Jealousy
      is a sure sign that one has not arrived. Perfect monastics simply
      don't care about such stuff! (If they did at all, it would only be to
      rejoice for the other!)

      Yet many of us- myself roundly included- can still find jealousy
      rearing its ugly head from time to time. It is part of our fallen
      human nature, it is also part of us that has not grown up yet: an
      inner child that is still screaming "Mom ALWAYS liked you best!"
      Sigh... Jealousy cannot live without ignorance or falsehood, so
      reality checks may be helpful, shaking ourselves awake to what is
      true and real, reminding ourselves what we do NOT know and cannot
      know about another's situation compared to our own.

      Did we but know the gift of God! Ah, but we most surely do NOT know
      it! If we did, we should be far, far more grateful for the different
      ways He deals with people. We should be relieved that we have not the
      gifts of others, since we have not their peculiar circumstances or
      vocations or personalities to deal with those gifts. We should also
      be able to more clearly see how richly- and utterly appropriately- we
      ourselves have been blessed. God is no wretched giver, and we are ALL
      swathed in His unfathomable mercy.

      [Two asides on the gifts of God. St. John Vianney, the Cure d'Ars, said that "If
      the priest could understand himself, he would surely die." But he ALSO said that
      if anyone could understand the gift of the Eucharist, they would die- of love!]

      http://www.stamrysmonastery.org

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2016

        +PAX

        Prayers for all Vallambrosan Congregation Benedictines, on the feast of St. John Gualbert, their founder.

        Prayers for Eileen, anniversary of her Oblation was yesterday.

        Elena, for whom we prayed, had left the Catholic Church many years ago and converted to another faith. She died without the Sacraments, and had not been practicing religion for some years, apparently. Ardent prayers for her eternal rest, for her family and for all who mourn her.

        Prayers for Vincent, a seminarian in Africa taking an exam.

        Prayers for D. and his wife, things are very bad between them.

        Please pray for the repose of the soul of Rev. Mark Payne, OSB who passed into eternal life on July 10, and for the monks of Newark Abbey who are mourning the 2nd passing of a monk in just over a month. Prayers, too, for his family and all who mourn him.

        Since St. Benedict's solemnity falls in July, why not make the rest of July a month of prayers for all Benedictines. We could all use the prayers and we will
        be praying for each other, too.

        grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much JL

        March 12, July 12, November 11
[...]

        Yet many of us- may God forgive us all- can still find jealousy

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11

          +PAX

          Prayers for all Vallambrosan Congregation Benedictines, on the feast of St. John Gualbert, their founder.

          Prayers for a grandfather and his granddaughter, 18, urgent need, no details available.

          Ardent prayers for Connie, open heart surgery complicated by a broken rib. Her condition appears to have occurred suddenly.

          Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Eileen, Oblate of Pluscarden, on her 20th anniversary of Oblation. Graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

          Prayers for  Leah, who was stricken suddenly and is gravely ill, possibly dying. She is the mother of 2 children, 16 & 12. She is on life support and too ill to move to a larger city hospital just now. Hoping to stabilize her so she can be moved, high risk of cardiac arrest.  Prayers that God’s perfect will be done. Prayers for her healing, or for her happy death, should God wish to take her now. Family is praying for a miracle.

          Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias, Jack passed his Driving Instructor Certification exam with high marks: 94!

          Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias, Anne's op was cancelled today but this meant that she was able to get her eyes checked out at her usual eye clinic in the hospital. As it is an intermittent problem they think it is dry eyes and drops were prescribed.