Holy Rule for July 10

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2007

      Prayers for the perfect will of God for Elaine, in-law troubles. May she see what He wants and do it. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for newborn baby Bella, her proud parents, Stacy and Christian, and for the proud grandparents, celebrating their 24th anniversary on Bella's birth date! Prayers for a father estranged from his non-communicating child, and for all parents suffering estrangement from their children. Prayers for Gail, grieving for her husband and especially missing him on this day, his birthday. May God grant him eternal rest and may they be reunited one day in Heaven.

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Rita, just entering hospice, but not taking any nourishment, in great pain and labored breathing. And for all her family and all who will mourn her.

      Prayers for Aaron and Aliki, due to be married soon and Aaron is being tested for leukemia, scary for them both. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 10, July 10, November 9
      Chapter 32: On the Tools and Property of the Monastery

      For the care of the monastery's property
      in tools, clothing and other articles
      let the Abbess appoint sisters
      on whose manner of life and character she can rely;
      and let her, as she shall judge to be expedient,
      consign the various articles to them,
      to be looked after and to be collected again.
      The Abbess shall keep a list of these articles,
      so that as the sisters succeed one another in their assignments
      she may know what she gives and what she receives back.

      If anyone treats the monastery's property in a slovenly or careless
      way, let her be corrected. If she fails to amend, let her undergo the
      discipline of the Rule.

      REFLECTION

      Americans in particular can equate lack of waste with stinginess.
      It's a terrible view of things, but deeply rooted. Consumerist
      society encourages waste because it fuels profits for the few at the
      top. Sad that many below cannot be made to see that when we waste, we
      are harming ourselves, in more ways than one: ecologically, economically
      AND spiritually. Waste is a lack of mindfulness for others, a lack of
      awareness that we must share God's goods which He created for all.

      The reasons we have been subtly taught to live with criminal waste as if
      it were nothing are false, totally false. They are not luxury, they deny
      others. Why live a lie? We do not live on a planet of infinite
      resources.

      Monasteries and homes are microcosms of the universe. We must never look
      at conservation as if our actions alone will advance the rise or prevent
      the fall. They may very well do neither. What our actions CAN do is
      limit our complicity. That is the only safe rationale for undertaking
      them.

      Every drop of fresh water makes the ocean less salty, though its a
      fair bet that the Atlantic will remain quite salty, indeed, in spite of
      our efforts! That's not the point. All God will ever ask us is what
      we added to the problems around us.

      All He asks is that we try to build a better world, that we do our part
      to make His Kingdom visible. It already exists, we do not "build" it,
      we simply unveil it bit by bit, for all to see! That's what He meant when He
      said: "The Kingdom of God is within you."

      He knows we cannot change things single-handedly. No private citizen
      could have stopped the Holocaust in Nazi Germany, but some chose not to
      be in any way part of it, often at the cost of their lives. See what I
      mean? A wealth of opportunity in choice awaits all of us.