Holy Rule for July 9

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2007

      Deo gratias for:

      Donald, able to go home today for three weeks, doing well with no side effects, continued prayers for his cancer treatment and for the movement of grace in his soul.

      The worried Mom we prayed for had a visit with her grown child that went very well. She thanks all for their prayers and says she could feel the prayers. Prayers for Rafi, he had his bank papers and ID stolen and they have not been retrieved, also for Ethel, his sister.

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following and for their families and all who mourn them:

      Debbie, murdered last week, a violent end to a life that was often difficult. Prayers, too, for her murderer's conversion.

      Molly, terminal cancer, very hopeful of being able to die at home, but there are some obstacles to be overcome for that to be possible.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for their families and all who treat or care for them:

      Launetta, 96, possible broken hip and for her son, Fr. Paul.

      Marialyce, epidural on Tuesday, hopefully longer pain relief from this one.

      Donna, vascular surgery coming up.

      Dianne, second round of chemotherapy.

      Barbara, surgery this week, and for Mary, her daughter, very worried for her Mom.

      Another Barbara, recurrent esophageal problems require a second surgery.

      Chapter 31: What Kind of Man the Cellarer of the Monastery Should Be

      Above all things let him have humility; and if he has nothing else to
      give let him give a good word in answer for it is written, "A good word
      is above the best gift" (Eccles. 18:17).

      Let him have under his care all that the Abbot has assigned to him,
      but not presume to deal with what he has forbidden him.

      Let him give the brethren their appointed allowance of food without any
      arrogance or delay, that they may not be scandalized,
      mindful of the Word of God as to what he deserves "who shall scandalize
      one of the little ones" (Matt 18:6).

      If the community is a large one, let helpers be given him,
      that by their assistance he may fulfill with a quiet mind the office
      committed to him. The proper times should be observed in giving the
      things that have to be given and asking for the things that have to be
      asked for, that no one may be troubled or vexed in the house of God.

      REFLECTION

      Many would shrug at a chapter like this saying: "I'm not cellarer.
      What has that to do with me?" Everything, everything. This chapter, like
      those on the Abbot, is a masterful view of Benedictine authority and
      stewardship in any capacity. We should never presume to usurp roles that
      are not our own, but in covering those roles, the Holy Rule again and
      again gives models to ALL.

      I am guestmaster, not cellarer, but this chapter reminds me that no job
      is an empire, a turf, a personal fiefdom that one administers
      temperamentally and without love. Jobs, for Benedictines in world or
      monastery, are stewardships, not power trips. (At least that ought to be
      true. God save us, it is often otherwise...) If people have to become so
      careful of a given official, wearing kid gloves at every possible turn,
      something is very, very wrong. Now the community is reduced to serving
      the official, when it is supposed to be the other way around!

      Of course, the needs of those who come to us at work or at home can be
      overwhelming, even oppressive at times, but we are told not to react to
      those buttons pushed, but to react with love and humility. Whatever your
      job is, the reality is that if there were none with needs, you would
      likely be unemployed. Always remember that. We serve, we do not rule.
      Our call is to forget ourselves in service, not to present our
      intransigent selves to be served.

      Our motto is Peace, because St. Benedict knew how completely
      essential to a fruitful monastic life inner peace was and is. That's
      why he gives this really rather astounding principle: "...no one may
      be troubled or vexed in the house of God." It's God's house, not
      ours. Wake up, folks, if the maid is giving orders tyrannically,
      something's wrong at the manor! It's not her house. It's His.

      A certain amount of vexation is inevitable, and part of the monastic
      struggle and very useful. A chronic, ulcerating source of repeated
      vexation is not. If that comes through an official, something must be
      done. If one is unwilling to remove the official, then that's what the
      penal code chapters are all about.

      Cancers, real, malignant tumors on our peace ought to be removed. If they are retained by an authority figure's blindness, the one in charge can become as harmful as the growth itself.

      We may have to endure that, circumstances being what they may,
      but it is helpful to at least know its dysfunctionality. Even that
      dysfunction can be used by God to bring good. God and God alone can
      bring good out of ANYTHING, even you and me! We are not in the hands of
      bad situations, we are in the hands of God, loving hands that never
      fail, if only we trust Him!