Holy Rule for July 3

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers for Vince, Marian and Dave, and all their family for a special intention. Prayers for all the flood victims who lost everything in Coffeyville, Kansas. An oil refinery released crude oil during the flood and everything in many homes is polluted beyond saving.

      Deo gratias and thanksgiving for Bill, mesothelioma, now improved enough to start his chemo. Continued prayers for him in this treatment regimen.

      Chapter 26: On Those Who Without an Order Associate with the
      Excommunicated

      If any sister presumes
      without an order from the Abbess
      to associate in any way with an excommunicated sister,
      or to speak with her,
      or to send her a message,
      let her incur a similar punishment of excommunication.

      REFLECTION

      When punishment is necessary, the community should support it, at
      least passively. This united front should be far different from the
      human tendency we often see to abandon those in trouble. Quite the
      reverse, like everything in the Holy Rule, this must be fueled by the
      concern born of great love.

      Common life can often leave one with a slew of relationships which
      are polite and civil, even cordial, but frankly no deeper than a lot
      of people at work have with each other. That's sad, but it does
      happen. Times of crisis like this should awaken us to the necessary
      depth of love for all.

      Hard though it may sometimes be, we may not rejoice at the downfall
      of another. We must participate in common punishments because they
      are for the good of all, but also because they are primarily for the
      good of the offender, whom we must love. Admittedly, sometimes the
      only way one can express that concern is prayer, but we must pray!

      Sometimes, both superiors and communities can have an inordinate fear
      of giving punishment. What if she leaves? Yeah, what if....? Maybe
      she is supposed to leave, maybe this is God's way of telling her
      something about herself that she cannot see. Some people who really,
      truly do NOT belong in monastic life cannot be convinced of this.
      Some people who are terrible at a given job will not wake up to that
      fact in any other way. Toxic spouses must sometimes be told
      explicitly that, if they insist on continuing to harm themselves,
      they'll have to do it elsewhere, without destroying the rest of the
      family any longer.

      Some find the Rule harsh in this respect, but there is a great love
      and mercy here. The Holy Rule forbids what most people in groups will
      do: passive aggression. We cannot just wordlessly force the person
      out without a clue as to why. Punishment must be named and specific,
      the offender must know and those around her must care. It may in fact
      force a monk out, but he will know why when he leaves. This is vastly
      different from the ordinary human means of exclusion and expulsion.
      It include grace. It includes love.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2016
        +PAX

        Prayers for Brother Thomas of Pluscarden on his feastday, graces galore and
        many more. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of Fr. Thomas McCarthy of St.
        Leo, who died some years ago, and prayers for the return to the Faith of two
        other Thomases, one an agnostic, the other an atheist. May God bring them
        home to Himself. Prayers for TomKay of Monastic Life list. Prayers for all
        our Thomases on their feastday.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of the 26 hostages and terrorists killed in
        Bangladesh, and for the families of all and for all who mourn them. Prayers
        for any who may have been wounded. Prayers for the conversion and repentance
        of the attackers, too.

        Prayers for the happy death of Teresa, nearing the end of her battle with
        cancer, and for her husband, children and all her family and all who will
        mourn her.

        Prayers for Cheri, on her birthday, graces galore and many more! Ad multos
        annos!

        Prayers for Gregory, father of grace, the baby for whom we prayed, he is
        having exploratory surgery to better diagnose what is wrong with his hand,
        while he is still dealing with the aftermath of his baby daughter's surgery.

        This week many are celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the
        Somme, in World War I, prayers for all who fell there or were wounded.
        Prayers for all who were lost in all wars, for their families, for the
        eternal rest of the dead and healing of those who survived, wounded in mind
        or heart or body.

        Prayers for a gathering of Oblates being held next week.

        grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. BJL

        March 3, July 3, November 2
        Chapter 26: On Those Who Without an Order Associate with the
        Excommunicated

        If any sister presumes without an order from the Abbess to
        associate in any way with an excommunicated sister, or to speak
        with her, or to send her a message, let her incur a similar
        punishment of excommunication.

        REFLECTION

        When punishment is necessary, the community should support it, at
        least passively. This united front should be far different from the
        human tendency we often see to abandon those in trouble. Quite the
        reverse, like everything in the Holy Rule, this must be fueled by
        the concern born of love. Times of crisis like this should awaken us to the
        necessary depth of love for all.

        Hard though it may sometimes be, we may not rejoice at the downfall
        of another. We must participate in common punishments because they
        are for the good of all, but also because they are primarily for
        the good of the offender, whom we must love. Admittedly, sometimes
        the only way one can express that concern is prayer, but we must
        pray!

        Sometimes, both superiors and communities can have an inordinate
        fear of giving punishment. What if she leaves? Yeah, what if....?
        Maybe she is supposed to leave, maybe this is God's way of telling
        her something about herself that she cannot see. Some people who
        really, truly do NOT belong in monastic life cannot be convinced of
        this.

        Some find the Rule harsh in this respect, but there is a great love
        and mercy here. The Holy Rule forbids what many people in groups
        will do: passive aggression. We cannot just wordlessly force the
        person out without a clue as to why.

        Punishment must be named and specific, the offender must know and
        those around her must care. It may in fact force a monk out, but he
        will know why when he leaves. This is vastly different from the
        ordinary human means of exclusion and expulsion. It includes grace.
        It includes love. Lots of love! And its justice is always somehow
        wrapped in mercy.