A Peruvian chill and her family in need

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2007

      When I promised, some time ago, that I would never send out another appeal to the lists, a lot of very loving and kind people wrote back urging me NOT to promise that, to ask when I knew someone who needed help. I think they were right and I was wrong, so I send you this information on a Peruvian family in need. A friend of mine in Tampa works with CardioStart, the medical charity that discovered this child and her needs. Hence, this is no urban legend, it is totally legit and I urge any who feel called to help as they can. Please note that donations should be made directly to the bank listed below, not to me or the monastery here.

      Luz Estephanie Machiavello, 5, lost her arm in a moped accident in January. After a 300 mile trip from her jungle village to Lima, doctors were able to re-attach her arm, but three months of infection followed and gangrene set in. They had to re-amputate.

      American Airlines donated a flight for Luz and her Dad to come to Tampa, FL, where Shriners' Children's Hospital will fit her with a prosthetic arm free of charge. They will also cover further prostheses as she grows, up to age 18. CardioStart has provided lodging for Luz and her Dad in Tampa while she is being treated.

      The problem is that her Dad is a farmer and his family of 6 in Peru will be without income while he is in the U.S. with Luz for 8 weeks. CardioStart has set up a fund in her name at the bank below. A link to the newspaper story follows the bank fund address. Donations can be sent to:

      CardioStart Fund for Luz Estephanie Machiavello
      Royal Bank Centura
      821 E Bloomingdale Ave
      Brandon, FL 33511
      Phone: (813) 653 9904

      Here is a link to the St. Petersburg, FL Times article verifying her story:

      http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/1294853371.html?dids=1294853371:1294853371&FMT=FT&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=Jun+26%2C+2007&author=BRIAN+CASSELLA&pub=St.+Petersburg+Times&edition=&startpage=1.B&desc=A+STOP+IN+A+BRAVE+JOURNEY