Holy Rule for June 22

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2007

      The Chinese government is threatening to dynamite a popular Catholic shrine to Our Lady of Mount Carmel before the annual pilgrimage date, July 16. As many as 40,000 brave souls have gone there in past years, braving the government and persecution. Prayers that their treasured shrine- over 100 years old- may be spared.

      Prayers, please, for P. breast cancer, brain lesion, and for all her family. Prayers for David and Jane and their son, who was accepted into the University desired, but now the scramble to find the money. May God richly provide!

      Prayers for Jim, 82, no longer taking anything by mouth and probably will die by the weekend, also for Bea, his wife, Deb, his niece and all their family. Prayers for his happy death and eternal rest.

      Prayers again for Scott, terrible back pain, unable to work, our prayers have helped him in the past and he is most grateful. Doctor is trying different pain treatments to see if he can get some relief. Bill, our fellow with mesothelioma, is seeing his oncologist soon. Prayers for him and that his bowel obstruction doesn't recur, as he has lost a lot of weight and is trying to regain some. Prayers for C., beginning a new job, new adventure and new life in another State, starting Sunday! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Let this verse be said:
      "Incline unto my aid, O God;
      O Lord, make haste to help me,"
      and the "Glory be to the Father"
      then the hymn proper to each Hour.

      Then at Prime on Sunday
      four sections of Psalm 118 are to be said;
      and at each of the remaining Hours,
      that is Terce, Sext and None,
      three sections of the same Psalm 118.

      At Prime on Monday let three Psalms be said,
      namely Psalms 1, 2 and 6.
      And so each day at Prime until Sunday
      let three Psalms be said in numerical order, to Psalm 19,
      but with Psalms 9 and 17 each divided into two parts.
      Thus it comes about that the Night Office on Sunday
      always begins with Psalm 20.

      REFLECTION

      Since Prime was to be said before work, its Psalms could vary. The
      Tuesday through Saturday repetition of the same 9 Psalms for minor
      hours excludes Prime, which was probably said in Church or Chapter
      room, or partially in both. Since Prime was celebrated where books
      were available, it could use different Psalms every day and did.
      There was no need for the memorization which would allow farmer monks
      to celebrate None in the midst of a hayfield.

      I was glad to hear from some who especially loved the prayers of
      Prime. So do I! Here, however, is yet another offering from the
      Office of Prime: its hymn. Being metrical, it is easily memorized. A
      nurse friend of mine told me years ago she used to sing this hymn
      every morning at an Episcopalian summer camp for kids. Not a bad idea at
      all! Enjoy!

      Petersham, MA 01366

      HYMN

      Now that the daylight fills the sky
      We lift our hearts to God on high,
      That He, in all we do or say,
      Would keep us free from harm today:

      Would guard our hearts and tongues from strife;
      From anger's din would hide our life;
      From evil sights would turn our eyes;
      Would close our ears to vanities.

      So we, when this new day is gone
      and night in turn is drawing on,
      With conscience by the world unstained
      Shall praise His name for vict'ry gained.

      To God the Father and the Son
      And Holy Spirit, three in one,
      Be endless glory as before
      The world began, so evermore. Amen.