Holy Rule for June 18

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 17, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, Phyllis, as she begins her treatment tomorrow for a very aggressive type of brain tumor. An update on Sherry, the young Mom for whom we prayed, she had to have her spleen removed and all ribs on one side are broken, but she is off the critical list, Deo gratias. Prayers, please for Geoffrey, job interview. Prayers for a ranking clergyperson in emotional and spiritual distress.

      Chapter 14: How the Night Office Is to Be Said on the Feasts of the
      Saints

      On the feasts of Saints and on all festivals
      let the Office be performed
      as we have prescribed for Sundays,
      except that the Psalms, the antiphons and the lessons
      belonging to that particular day are to be said.
      Their number, however, shall remain as we have specified above.

      REFLECTION

      Every love life needs a bit of variety now and then, even the
      monogamous ones, even the celibate ones, and, let us face it, our
      prayer is (or ought to be!) a love life. Without marking certain days
      as special, our Office would quickly become a bland and tedious bore.
      On the other hand, mark too much as special and people soon get worn
      out. Variety itself becomes boring and a chore. What sane married
      couple would insist on spending every night in a different motel? One
      or both would quickly tire of that and it would destroy the very
      unity it was aiming to protect.

      Having lived in a monastery for part of the 1960's and 70's where the
      liturgy became the sad equivalent of a revolving door, changing often
      and not often well, I can speak from experience. It became dreadful
      to wonder what would happen next. It pulled out the necessary
      underpinnings of a certain stability (gasp!) and changelessness that
      a Benedictine life of prayer requires.

      Ah, but in the quest for simplicity carried to unfortunate extremes,
      it did, at times, become UTTERLY changeless. Same old same old, every
      single day with nothing different but the prayer at the end, if that.
      ("Oh boy, it must be Tuesday again....!") No antiphons, just psalms
      and canticles. No music other than the hymn, same seven each week for
      each hour, a few good, many bad.... No Glory be between Psalms, just
      one at the end. It was dull and gave even more of an impression
      of "let's just get this over with" than the old Office did at its
      very worst. One often wondered why we still bothered to go to choir.

      A balance between variety and stability is where the virtue truly
      lies. I have never heard anyone complain about singing or saying the
      same unchanging parts of the Mass every day, because they are set in
      the midst of elements that DO change every day. The same must be true
      of the Office to a certain extent. When SO much changes at feasts, as
      it did in former days of many octaves and tons of commemorations,
      that one longs and pines for a weekday with one book and NOTHING
      special, that balance has been missed. On the other hand, the
      changeless mundane misses the balance as well. One should never have
      to come out of a "simple" Office and think quietly: "Wow, that was
      dumb...." (But I often have.)

      St. Benedict built the necessary change right into his Office for
      monasteries. Ignore his bottom line or extend it unduly and you get
      into trouble. In this instance, as in so many, he was far wiser than
      we are, than people of any age are.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 17, 2016
        +PAX

        Prayers for the eternal rest of British MP Jo Cox, who was assassinated, and
        for her family and all who mourn her. Prayers, too, for the conversion and
        repentance of her killer.

        Prayers for Encarnacion Marissa, having a biopsy done, that the results will
        be normal.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Stana, for whom we prayed, and prayers for
        her husband, Robert, son John and his wife, Jackie, and all Stana's family
        and for all who mourn her.

        Prayers for a woman who has been widowed twice, is a cancer survivor over 20
        years ago and now is fighting lung cancer. May God be merciful and healing
        and give her and her family strength.

        Prayers for Fr. Brendan, on his birthday. Graces galore and many more. Ad
        multos annos, many years.

[...]

        the midst of elements that DO change. The same must be true
        of the Office to a certain extent. When SO much changes at feasts, as
        it did in former days of many octaves and tons of commemorations,
        that one longs and pines for a weekday with one book and NOTHING
        special, that balance has been missed. On the other hand, the
        changeless mundane misses the balance as well. One should never have
        to come out of a "simple" Office and think quietly: "Wow, that was
        dumb...." (But I'm afraid I have.)

        www.stmarysmonastery.org

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 17

          +PAX

          It is Father’s Day in the US, prayers for all our Fathers, biological, spiritual and adopted. May they be filled with graces and blessings.

          Prayers for Gerry L., having serious cancer surgery on June 23, may she have a successful operation and a full recovery. Prayers, too, for her family and her dear friends, Richard and Virginia.

          Prayers for Mackenzie M., niece of Michelle, she had been in remission but now her cancer is reactivated. Prayers for all her family.

          Prayers for Charlie, brother of Joe A., he has been diagnosed with bladder cancer and may have prostate cancer , as well. Surgery this week, prayers for a successful operation and full recovery.

          Prayers for Susan, a single mother of 2, who lost her job because the company is going under. Employees could not even cash the checks issued them. Now she and her children are without health insurance.

          Prayers for Erin, granddaughter of Joe and Clare, she is a substitute teacher who is hoping for a permanent position.

          Continued prayers for a safe and happy delivery in September of baby Declan Jerome, and for his parents, David and Neesha. They have waited over 11 years for a child, please surround all three with prayers.