Holy Rule for June 5

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2007

      When I asked prayers for Brian and his family, I didn't know for sure the age of his two daughters. They are only 8 and 9 and both adored him. Continued prayers for them and all the Magrath family. I was lucky to be able to see them this afternoon and told them of your prayers, for which they are most grateful.

      Prayers, please, for Chaldean Catholic Father Ragheed and Subdeacons Basman, Ghasan and Wadid, pulled from their car after Sunday Mass and murdered by militants in Mosul, Iraq, also for their families and all who mourn them. Prayers, too for the murderers and all those of any faith who are tragically misled to do violence in the name of God.

      Deo gratias, for T., the diabetic for whom we prayed after her parents arrest. To the great relief of all, she is beginning to take care of herself much better. Prayers for Jackie, an Oblate who has gone to God, for a happy death and eternal rest and for all the family. Prayers, too, for Carm, another Oblate,
      complications from heart surgery.

      Prayers, please, for Bill and for his wife, Peggy. He has been diagnosed with mesothelioma and both are deeply concerned. The stress is working havoc on Peggy's ulcers, so prayers for them both. Prayers, too, for Marianne, possible Parkinson's, but afraid to go to the doctor, and for her worried sister. Deo gratias and thanksgiving for Vic, his lymphoma is presently in remission.

      Prayers for Terry, just diagnosed with bone cancer, and for Doris, who asked for her. May God fill them both with grace and peace. Deo gratias, Kevin, for whom we prayed a while back, is doing much better though on heavy meds and tiring easily. This is quite hard on his toddler son, Declan, and on his exhausted wife, Hilda, so continued prayers for all. Prayers for Gordie, very near death from Parkinson's, and for all his family, prayers for his happy death and eternal rest. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      The seventh degree of humility
      is that he consider himself lower and of less account
      than anyone else,
      and this not only in verbal protestation
      but also with the most heartfelt inner conviction,
      humbling himself and saying with the Prophet,
      "But I am a worm and no man,
      the scorn of men and the outcast of the people" (Ps. 21:7).
      "After being exalted, I have been humbled
      and covered with confusion" (Ps. 87:16).
      And again,
      "It is good for me that You have humbled me,
      that I may learn Your commandments" (Ps. 118:71).

      REFLECTION

      So many people get blown away arguing against the line: "I am a worm
      and no man..." that they completely miss a crucially important fact.
      Very ancient interpretation of this Psalm has the Suffering Servant,
      Jesus, as its focus. Jesus Himself quoted its opening line from the
      Cross: "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" There are numerous
      allusions to the crucifixion in this Psalm, casting lots for
      garments, piercing hands and feet and the derision of the crowd, to
      name a few.

      OK, so if we dare to put these wormy terms in the mouth of Christ,
      how come we get upset about saying the same of ourselves? Good
      question! If HE can say it, even metaphorically, we surely should
      have no problem!

      But many seem to have a big problem there, so let's look at the
      matter from a different angle. We absolutely cannot know that others
      are worse than us. It's not possible, because we cannot see into
      their hearts, we cannot know every factor in their guilt or lack
      thereof. We cannot know that they are not better than us.

      God alone can know all those things. Even the individual involved
      knows less about her complicity and culpability in a given action
      than God does. That knowledge is always and everywhere partially
      withheld from human consciousness. No one will ever know it all until
      they die, when everything that was hidden will be made evident.

      OK, one argues, so if we can't know anyone is worse, we sure can't
      know if they're better, either. Quite right! Our God-given natural
      assessment abilities allow us to be sure of no one's wickedness or
      goodness, not even our own state of grace. But we have more facility
      in self-judgement than we have in regard to others. We have more
      parts of the puzzle there, even though we still don't have them all,
      we have windows into our own hearts and minds that we have in no
      other case.

      So, with all this ironclad uncertainty, why would Scripture and the
      Holy Rule ask us to think ourselves less than anyone else? For two
      very important reasons. First, it is the safest position to take.
      Even without full knowledge of ourselves, we have more information
      there than we have anywhere else. Secondly, it is the most profitable
      position for learning and spiritual growth.

      If we think someone is less than ourselves, there is little chance we
      will learn anything from her: we're so busy with patronizing
      condescension that only now and then will the woman's REAL words come
      through to us. On the other hand, if we think everyone has something
      to teach us, knowledge and growth start popping up all over the
      place, in some very unlikely locations! This attitude is part of
      listening, really listening.

      And after all, "Listen" is where our Rule begins!