Holy Rule for June 4

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2007
      +PAX

      Thanks to all who prayed for me on my birthday.

      Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Brian Magrath, 53, who died suddenly in his sleep, and for all his family and those who mourn him. Special prayers for his wife and their two small adopted children. They are very dear friends of mine from my days in East Boston as a pastoral associate, very much my adopted family. Prayers, please, for them all.

      Prayers of Deo gratias for Al and C.: his interview went very well and things are continuing to unfold. May God's perfect will be done! Prayers for T. and her siblings, their parents were arrested on a serious charge three weeks ago and they have been caught in a dreadful whirl of police and confusion. T is diabetic and had a serious health crisis last semester and is in danger now from all the stress. Prayers for her, her parents and her siblings. Prayers for Aaron, 96, for his happy death and eternal rest, and for his grandson, Ari, and all his family, all who mourn him, also for the happy death and eternal rest of Aaron's wife who died two months before him.

      I mistakenly thought the taxi driver we prayed for a day or so ago had only light injuries when his cab was struck during a police chase. Walid, 45, has died from his injuries and leaves a wife and a four year old son. Prayers for them and all who mourn him, and for his happy death and eternal rest. Prayers for MA, some new hope on the horizon for her back pain treatment. May God guide her doctors and all those who care for all our prayer folks. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      The sixth degree of humility
      is that a monk be content
      with the poorest and worst of everything,
      and that in every occupation assigned him
      he consider himself a bad and worthless workman,
      saying with the Prophet,
      "I am brought to nothing and I am without understanding;
      I have become as a beast of burden before You,
      and I am always with You" (Ps:22-23).

      REFLECTION

      OK, first warning. Some people who truly do have low self-esteem have
      to be very, very careful to remember that humility is truth, that ANY false
      and distorted self-image spells trouble. Increasing closeness to God, Who
      is Truth, must bring us to increasing truthfulness about ourselves. That can
      mean adjustments up OR down in our attitude.

      While it may be true that some people have self-esteems
      which are far too low, I think that many people, from my generation onward,
      have "worked through all that" with more than enough success. Relax,
      I think that often we have compensated for any imbalance and then some! With
      ears attuned to such 21st century self-affirmation, it is hard for us to hear
      lines like "worthless workman", "brought to nothing" and "a beast of
      burden before You."

      Understandably, we may listen through our filtered ears and wonder
      how on earth the Psalmist could say such things. Mechanisms to
      explain them away and denial defenses spring right up: " Must have
      been his primitive society, must have been some neurotic notion of
      religion in those days! Boy, that David REALLY needed to work on his
      self-image, so sad in a King, too!"

      I don't think any of those things are true in more than the most
      minimal sense, if that. David COULD say those things with honesty,
      because he was a mystic. Let me hasten to console all concerned with
      that news that he was a very human mystic. Face it, he had a lusty eye
      for Uriah's wife and conveniently arranged Uriah's death in battle
      to "legitimate" things. Nathan the prophet confronted David with the facts
      and the child born of his dalliance with Bathsheba died. Hardly the type
      of thing one would read about St. Therese, the Little Flower!

      Because this terribly human David, in a mystical sense, had "seen"
      God, at least with the eyes of his soul, he could easily make
      truthful remarks like these about himself! Once we see even a bit of
      God, scales begin to fall from our eyes and we can easily see how the Prophet
      could say such things: they are true!

      I am no mystic, but I sure know I am nothing, nothing at ALL compared
      to God. If I have done a good job here and there, make no mistake
      that I can tell you from an inside perspective that successes were
      just that: here and there. Not one of them would (or could!) have ever
      happened without God's grace. Nada. Zilch! The total workman profile
      has a LOT of gaps and stuff undone, deliberately and otherwise. The merit
      review will probably NOT recommend a raise at this time!

      We need the truth of humility because we take ourselves- and the
      falsehoods about ourselves for good or ill- far, far too seriously. Yes, we
      sometimes need to know we really did "OK", but we also need to often
      remind ourselves that we are not so hot as we thought!

      "Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to Your Name give the glory!" Yet another of
      David's pithy assessments of self-worth. We are, of ourselves, less than carbon.
      It is only because of Christ that we carbon kids can truly become the "immortal
      diamond" of which Hopkins wrote!

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2016

        +PAX

        Thanks for all who sent me prayers and birthday greetings. Facebook, for some reason, would not let folks post on my timeline, so they resorted to private messages. I had a LOT of them and I tried to answer them all. Hope I didn’t miss anyone, forgive me if I did, please. My grateful prayers for all of you and for your dear ones.

        Special prayers for Mary, grieving the loss of Fr. Vern, for whom we prayed. He was her spiritual director and this loss is very hard for her.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Boniface Treanor, OSB, of Newark Abbey, and for all his family and his Community and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for Del, discerning a vocation with the Carthusians.

        Prayers for the recovery of James v. R.’s brother, after his recent surgery.

        Prayers for a  19 year old girl, pregnant and having trouble with the 18 year old father. For peace and a safe place for her, may she have her baby in a place free of such stress, a safe home for her.

        Prayers for Alice, severe back pain.

        Prayers for Maan, on her  SAT test subjects this Saturday.

        Prayers for little Sophia Rafael.,  for recovery from her surgery on June 3.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Anna Maria, who died after a long bout with cancer for Larry, her husband, and for all their family and all who mourn her.

[...]

        because he was saintly.Let me hasten to console all concerned with
        that news that he was also very human. Face it, he had a lusty eye
        for Uriah's wife and conveniently arranged Uriah's death in battle
        to "legitimate" things. Nathan the prophet confronted David with the facts
        and the child born of his dalliance with Bathsheba died.

        Because this terribly human David, in a sense, had "seen"
        God, at least with the eyes of his soul, he could easily make
        truthful remarks like these about himself! Once we see even a bit of
        God, scales begin to fall from our eyes and we can easily see how the Prophet
        could say such things: they are true!

        I sure know I am nothing, nothing at ALL without
        God. If I have done a good job here and there, make no mistake
        that I can tell you from an inside perspective that successes were
        just that: here and there. Not one of them would (or could!) have ever
        happened without God's grace. Nada. Zilch! The total workman profile
        has a LOT of gaps and stuff undone, deliberately and otherwise. The merit
        review will probably NOT recommend a raise at this time!

        We need the truth of humility because we take ourselves- and the
        falsehoods about ourselves - far, far too seriously. Yes, we
        sometimes need to know we really did "OK", but we also need to often
        remind ourselves that we are not so hot as we thought!

        "Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to Your Name give the glory!" Yet another of
        David's pithy assessments of self-worth. We are, of ourselves, less than
        nothing. It is only because of Christ that we can truly become the "immortal
        diamond" of which Hopkins wrote!

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2016

          +PAX

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Ian Robertson, Fr. Dunstan’s Dad, and for Fr. Dunstan and his brother and sister, Jasper and Georgiana, and all their family. Special prayers for them cleaning out and straightening up affairs in the house where their parents lived for around 60 years. There is much to be done. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of their Mum, Honor, who died only a few months ago. Their parents were married 65 years.

          Continued prayers for Christina, that she not have cancer, and for Carla, her Mom, who is very grateful for our prayers.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Drew, 26, a veteran with PTSD who took his own life on Memorial Day. He had sought help and been denied, a very tragic death. Many prayers for him and his family and those who mourn him. I think he had two children, too, prayers especially for them.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Muhammad Ali, 74, former boxing champ, and for all his family and all who mourn him.

          The seventh degree of humility
          is that he consider himself lower and of less account
          than anyone else,
          and this not only in verbal protestation
          but also with the most heartfelt inner conviction,
          humbling himself and saying with the Prophet,
          "But I am a worm and no man,
          the scorn of men and the outcast of the people" (Ps. 21:7).
          "After being exalted, I have been humbled
          and covered with confusion" (Ps. 87:16).
          And again,
          "It is good for me that You have humbled me,
          that I may learn Your commandments" (Ps. 118:71).

          REFLECTION

          So many people get blown away arguing against the line: "I am a worm
          and no man..." that they completely miss a crucially important fact.
          This Psalm has the Suffering Servant,
          Jesus, as its focus. Jesus Himself quoted its opening line from the
          Cross: "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" There are numerous
          allusions to the crucifixion in this Psalm, casting lots for
          garments, piercing hands and feet and the derision of the crowd, to
          name a few.

          OK, so if we dare to put these wormy terms in the mouth of Christ,
          how come we get upset about saying the same of ourselves? Good
          question! If HE can say it, even metaphorically, we surely should
          have no problem!

          But many seem to have a big problem there, so let's look at the
          matter from a different angle. We absolutely cannot know that others
          are worse than us. It's not possible, because we cannot see into
          their hearts, we cannot know every factor in their guilt or lack
          thereof. We cannot know that they are not better than us.
          God alone can know all those things.

          So, with all this ironclad uncertainty, why would Scripture and the
          Holy Rule ask us to think ourselves less than anyone else? For two
          very important reasons. First, it is the safest position to take.
          Even without full knowledge of ourselves, we have more information
          there than we have anywhere else. Secondly, it is the most profitable
          position for learning and spiritual growth.

          If we think someone is less than ourselves, there is little chance we
          will learn anything from her: we're so busy with patronizing
          condescension that only now and then will the woman's REAL words come
          through to us. On the other hand, if we think everyone has something
          to teach us, knowledge and growth start popping up all over the
          place, in some very unlikely locations! This attitude is part of
          listening, really listening.

          And after all, "Listen" is where our Rule begins!

          _

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3

            +PAX

            Thanks to all who sent me birthday greetings and prayers. I tried to answer or like all the messages on Facebook and elsewhere. If I missed anyone, please forgive me. I had more than a hundred messages to answer. I feel very blessed! You and your families are all in my prayers.

            If I missed any prayer intentions in my overflowing mailbox, please forgive me and resend them.

            Prayers for John B.’s older sister, struggling to live God’s will for her troubled times for her, may she be strengthened to do that with many graces.

            Prayers  for Ann, her breast cancer has returned and metastasized .  She now has been diagnosed with stage 4 bone cancer.

            Prayers for the happy death of Jimmy, who has been removed from life support, and for his family and all who will mourn him.

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Archbishop Emeritus Daniel Kucera, OSB, 94, and for his family Community and all who mourn him. He was formerly Abbot of St. Procopius Abbey, Lisle, Illinois.

            Prayers for J., special intention and computer woes.

            Please pray that M. will consent to Assisted Living or 24/7 in-home care.

            Payers for Vickie and Roger, who are working as missionaries in Guatemala. The government likes to interfere with their missions.