Holy Rule for June 3

    Message 1 of 104 , Jun 2, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers that Andrew, 63, may find his vocation in just the place that God
      wants him!

      Prayers of thanks to God, without Him, I would never be able to offer you
      anything at all, and prayers for my parents, Louise and Jerry, and all my ancestors.
      Without that divinely fine-tuned chain of folks I would not be here today to
      celebrate my 58th with you. Prayers, too, for my "birthday twin," Sr. Rita Marie, ASCJ,
      same day but not as old! May God see fit to use us both now and then in yet
      another year. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is

      The fifth degree of humility
      is that he hide from his Abbot none of the evil thoughts
      that enter his heart
      or the sins committed in secret,
      but that he humbly confess them.
      The Scripture urges us to this when it says,
      "Reveal your way to the Lord and hope in Him" (Ps. 36:5)
      and again,
      "Confess to the Lord, for He is good,
      for His mercy endures forever" (Ps. 105:1).
      And the Prophet likewise says,
      "My offense I have made known to You,
      and my iniquities I have not covered up.
      I said: 'I will declare against myself my iniquities to the Lord;'
      and 'You forgave the wickedness of my heart'" (Ps. 31:5).

      REFLECTION

      A caution here: the Holy Rule uses the Septuagint version's numbering
      of the Psalms, not the Hebrew. Since most Bibles today use the latter
      system, even many Catholic editions, you might find that the Psalm
      referred to in this passage, which I strongly recommend you read
      through, is 32, not 31.

      Psalm 31 (32) is a wonderful exposition of sin and forgiveness. It
      begins by recounting the joy of one whose sin has been forgiven, then
      proceeds to unfold how concealing sin affects one and confessing sin
      heals one. In vv. 3-4, immediately prior to the 5th verse which St.
      Benedict quotes, we find the following: "I kept it secret and my
      frame was wasted. I groaned all the day long for night and day Your
      hand was heavy upon me. Indeed, my strength was dried up as by the
      summer's heat."

      How do we know- or think we know- when a person is hiding something?
      There are all kinds of human, natural signs, verbal and nonverbal
      messages, body language, the whole lot! This is far afield of
      theology. We're talking crime novels here! There is something rooted
      in our human nature that makes guilty concealment affect both our
      behavior and others' perceptions.

      Guilty secrets control us, they rob us of our freedom, they destroy
      our peace. Long before one's frame is wasted (though that, too will
      eventually happen,) one's mind and spirit are trashed, laid low by
      the relentless fear of discovery. It's very true that one can run,
      but not hide. It is also true that, without the peace such shameful
      hiding steals from us, we shall have a MUCH harder time with our spiritual
      life.

      What the guilty one is fleeing is within herself, and
      travels right along with her. Ever see a news clip about a fugitive
      who successfully hid for decades and then was caught? I wonder what
      kind of life they had in the meantime, a life never free, a life that
      always had to fear. This garbage is not what Jesus called us to.

      We cannot be Benedictines without serenity and peace. It will not
      happen. The tracks of our lives have a reasonable number of railway
      switches that must be set correctly, or we will wind up stalled on a
      siding. This confession is one of those switches.

      [And, by the way, "stalled on a siding" is the opposite of stability.
      Stability is great growth and moving forward in a fixed spot or vocation!]

      One may not belong to a tradition which practices sacramental
      confession, but all of us need the abscesses of our secret guilt
      lanced and drained somehow. AA, a spiritual program which can fit
      itself to any religion or no religion, insists that without confession to at
      least one other trustworthy person, our faults are likely to rule us forever.
      Don't spill your beans to just anyone, but don't hold them festering
      within, either! [A heavy PS, too: if you DO belong to a Church that
      has sacramental Confession, GO!! Too many put that off at great
      risk and harm to themselves.]

      What keeps us chained to our dirty secrets is lack of faith, lack of
      trust: no one will love me if they know this, not God, not anyone.
      Well, the ending verses of Psalm 31(32) deal quite neatly with this
      falsehood:

      "Many sorrows have the wicked, but those who trust in the Lord,
      loving mercy surrounds them. Rejoice, rejoice in the Lord, exult, you
      just! O come, ring out your joy, all you upright of heart!" (Ps.
      31:10-11)

      Not only does God forgive, but the guilty one now freed is accounted
      as among the just and the upright of heart, without any further ado.
      Now THAT is divine mercy! No heart is more full of such infinite
      mercy than the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Trust Him!

      Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in You. Jesus, meek and
      humble of Heart, make our hearts like unto Yours.

      Message 104 of 104 , Jun 2

        +PAX

        Prayers for the two young men with us this weekend at St. Mary’s Monastery for a Monastic Experience Weekend, may God speak to their hearts and may we all do His will.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Amaro, 64, and for all his family and all who mourn him. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of Tania, his sister, who predeceased him.

        Prayers for Fr. Karola Meissner,OSB, of Poland, who turned 90 last month. Graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

        Prayers for Erica, having surgery, and for her family.

        Prayers for D., that she returns to the Sacraments.

        Prayers for Nathaniel and his wife and for all the children they teach in their parish’s religious education program.

        Prayers for me, on my birthday. Thanks in advance to all!

[...]

        heals one. In v. 3-4, immediately prior to the 5th verse which St.
        Benedict quotes, we find the following: "I kept it secret and my
        frame was wasted. I groaned all the day long for night and day Your
        hand was heavy upon me. Indeed, my strength was dried up as by the
        summer's heat."

        Guilty secrets control us, they rob us of our freedom, they destroy
        our peace. Long before one's frame is wasted (though that, too will
        eventually happen,) one's mind and spirit are trashed, laid low by
        the relentless fear of discovery. We shall have a MUCH harder time
        spiritually, if we try to keep our guilty secrets totally hidden.

        What the guilty one is fleeing is within herself, and
        travels right along with her. Ever see a news clip about a fugitive
        who successfully hid for decades and then was caught? I wonder what
        kind of life they had in the meantime, a life never free, a life that
        always had to fear. This is not what Jesus called us to.