Holy Rule for May 31

    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Paul, 23, and Caitlyn, 19, he was killed and she was seriously injured (and is in a coma,) when their taxi was struck by a car in a high speed chase. Prayers for their families and friends, and for Paul's happy death and eternal rest. Prayers, too, for their taxi driver, lightly injured, and for the State Trooper who gave high speed chase in this residential area, also for Javier, who struck their taxi while fleeing.

      Prayers, please, for Phyllis, just diagnosed with a malignant inoperable brain tumor. Prayers for Nicole, hysterectomy with potential for complications today, and for her worried parents, Michael and Genny, and all her family. Prayers for Judy, a shut-in who had to be taken to the emergency room today, and thanks for Harry, who went along to comfort her. Prayers for Dot, breast cancer and facing a mastectomy, also for Billy, whom we prayed for when his bladder cancer was treated. He has now been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Prayers for Linda, who asked prayers for them and for all their family.

      Forty years ago today, I graduated from Tampa Catholic High School. Prayers, please for all the teachers and students there who changed my life forever for the better. Much of what I give you I received from them. I urge all of you to pray daily for those who taught you and, if this applies, for those you've taught. It is a practice I love very much. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      We must be on our guard, therefore, against evil desires,
      for death lies close by the gate of pleasure.
      Hence the Scripture gives this command:
      "Go not after your concupiscences" (Eccles. 18:30).

      So therefore,
      since the eyes of the Lord observe the good and the evil (Prov. 15:3)
      and the Lord is always looking down from heaven
      on the children of earth
      "to see if there be anyone who understands and seeks God" (Ps. 13:2),
      and since our deeds are daily,
      day and night,
      reported to the Lord by the Angels assigned to us,
      we must constantly beware, brethren,
      as the Prophet says in the Psalm,
      lest at any time God see us falling into evil ways
      and becoming unprofitable (Ps. 13:3);
      and lest, having spared us for the present
      because in His kindness He awaits our reformation,
      He say to us in the future,
      "These things you did, and I held My peace" (Ps. 49:21).

      REFLECTION

      The theme of God seeking His laborers first expressed in the Prologue
      comes back here, like background hints of melody woven through an
      overture. God SEES us, yes, but He also SEEKS us, seeks those who
      seek Him. If we forget that, God's loving, watchful care over us (He
      assigns angels to us!) is reduced to the lackluster charm of a security camera,
      an "Eye in the sky."

      Ever lose somebody in airport? It's a funny sort of panic, because
      both of you know that ultimately, somehow you will connect. Until
      that happens, however, a lot of anxious hunting takes place. Do you
      know the joy when two such people finally find each other? It ain't
      slight! While one says "Thank heavens I found you!" the other is
      saying, "But I was looking for you, too, EVERYWHERE!" There is a
      great common blessing in such moments, one which far transcends the
      anxiety of the search which preceded it.

      That's how it is with God. While we are seeking Him, even BEFORE we
      are seeking Him, He is seeking us. There is so much love in that searching,
      on both parts. The novice is to be examined to see if she truly seeks God.
      But the question is not just for novices. "Quaeremus inventum," said St.
      Augustine: "Let us seek Him Whom we have found." And so it goes. A monastic
      life done right has seeking and finding writ large on every page, from
      beginning to end.

      Angels got a bad press in the Roman Catholic world in the late 60's
      and beyond. It became fashionable to be rather scornful of such
      belief and some skeptics viewed guardian angels as only a slight step
      beyond the fairy godmothers of children's tales. Well, folks, it was
      one time they weren't on the crest of a wave. The signs of the times
      told them that emphatically when a ground swell of popularity arose
      with angels as its focus.

      To some, angels are less threatening as a concept than God. They are
      more than human, but less than divine. They share our status of being
      creatures, but they have powers beyond our ken. No wonder popular
      culture embraced them: they are a very good entry level awareness of
      something beyond, something spiritual. Whatever else they may be,
      they are real. Why waste 'em? Let them help us all they can and let
      us ask for more besides! There may be reservations among some of our
      readers about praying to saints, but Scripture abounds with examples of
      conversations with angels, a comforting assurance for our Protestant readers.
      Go for it!

      A couple of years ago, a confessor recommended that I pray to
      my Guardian Angel about a problem. No one had said that to me in years! I
      took his advice, however, and loved the results. Growing tired of always just
      calling on him generically, I decided to give my guardian angel a name.
      I call him Hal, short for the Hebrew "hallelujah", a word I'm sure he says quite
      a lot. He seems happy enough with his new moniker! Thanks, Hal. I owe you
      big time!!

      By the way, the Guardian Angels are the patrons of the American
      Cassinese Congregation. I know some guys who probably would have
      loved to change that during the "bad press" years. Thankfully, no one
      did! Holy Guardian Angels, pray for us!

      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2016

        +PAX

        Father Dunstan’s father, Ian, seems to be dying, perhaps in the next 24-36 hours. Prayers for his happy death  and for Father Dunstan and all their family.

        Prayers for B, 18, she is 4 months pregnant and plans to abort her baby on June 8th. Prayers she changes her mind and saves her baby.

        Forty-nine years ago today, I graduated from Tampa Catholic High School. Prayers, please for all the teachers and students there who changed my life forever for the better. Much of what I give you I received from them. I urge all of you to pray daily for those who taught you and your classmates and, if this applies, for those you've taught. It is a practice I love very much.

        Prayers for Christina, that the tumor in her eye is not cancerous, her chances of survival are less than 1% if it is, and she has three young sons who need her. She had cancer before, but was doing well, and now this and another tumor in her neck. Prayers for all her family, too.

        Prayers for Encarnita, having medical tests on Tuesday, that all results may be good.

        Prayers for Martha, on her 80th birthday, graces galore and many more! Ad multos annos!

        Prayers for Carol and Joey, on their 34th wedding anniversary. Many more years and blessings for them! Ad multos annos!

        Prayers for Mary, who has terminal cancer, for her happy death, for all her family and all who will mourn her.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Thomas, 20, and for all his family, especially his Mom, and for all who mourn him.

        Deo gratias and prayers of thanks for Lola, who made her Final Oblation with sacred Heart Monastery, Yankton, South Dakota. Many more years in God’s service, ad multos annos!

        Please pray for Vanessa's brother. He had treatment for stage 4 thyroid cancer, but it came back in his lungs.

        Continued prayers for Fr. Vern’s healing, still very ill in ICU, but making bits of progress.

        Prayers of healing for John Michael Talbot, who suffered a large hearing loss, he badly needs his hearing for his ministries of speaking and music.

        Lord, help us all as You know and
        Him! Thanks so much. JL

        The second degree of humility
        is that a person love not his own will
        nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
        but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
        "I have come not to do My own will,
        but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
        It is written also,
        "Self-will has its punishment,
        but constraint wins a crown."

        REFLECTION

        Occasionally, I have looked after someone else's pet. I tried to
        remember how much it means to me when someone looks after my cat.
        I know I tried to be much more careful than I usually am about many things.
        That pet is someone's treasure and I have been trusted. I don't goof off! I
        take extra care.

        See what I'm getting at? Caring for another's pet done right is an
        example of coming not to do one's own will, but the will of one who
        sent us. Monastic life done right would be looking at the whole of
        our world, life and endeavor as pet care for God. Again and again, from the
        greatest things in life to the smallest, He entrusts us with the care
        of the apples of His eyes.

        That extra care that one would take of a pet or, even more so, a
        child one had been asked to watch, is the attitude we should have to
        everything. This is mindfulness in the highest order. This is what
        happens when the will we are obeying is Someone else's, not our own.
        We take extra care with the things of God because they are His, not
        our own.

        Of course, the ultimate truth is that this step points to the fact
        that NOTHING is really our own, everything is God's. We "own" nothing
        in the absolute sense, that is, with the freedom to dispense or waste
        or expend or destroy it with no responsibility at all for the common
        good. Christians "own" things in stewardship for the good of all.

        It may take all of our lives to realize it fully, but we are ALL
        doing pet care for God, all the time, nothing less and nothing more!
        And God, like a pet owner or parent who entrusts dear ones
        to another, loves our carefulness very much and treasures us deeply!
        How deep is our love for one who cares for someone we love, but
        deeper still, infinitely so, is the love of God in this respect. Ah, the warmth
        of His smile at such times!