Holy Rule for May 30

    Message 1 of 6 , May 29, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers for two men trying their vocation at Assumption Abbey, may God strengthen them to do His will. Nicki's grandfather, for whom we prayed, has died. Continued prayers for his happy death, and for Nicki, Jan, Daniel, Dale and all their family. Prayers for Matt and his children. Prayers, too, for little Lily, whom we have prayed for. She is going for dialysis, hopefully. Her prognosis has been terminal all along, but so far she has defied medical opinions. Prayers, too, for her parents and all those treating her and all our prayer folks. May God guide and reward them all! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      The second degree of humility
      is that a person love not his own will
      nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
      but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
      "I have come not to do My own will,
      but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
      It is written also,
      "Self-will has its punishment,
      but constraint wins a crown."

      REFLECTION
      [I am delighted that some of you actually know Comet, our Guesthouse Wonder Dog.
      She is SUCH a classic!]

      On some occasions, now that Mary lives with us, I get to look after
      Comet, her dog. I know when I take care of Comet I try to be much more
      careful than I usually am about many things. Comet is Mary's treasure and she
      has trusted me with her. I don't goof off! I take extra care because I know
      how dear she is to Mary.

      See what I'm getting at? Caring for another's pet done right is an
      example of coming not to do one's own will, but the will of one who
      sent us. Monastic life done right would be looking at the whole of
      our world, life and endeavor as pet care for God. Again and again, from the
      greatest things in life to the smallest, He entrusts us with the care
      of the apples of His eyes.

      That extra care that one would take of a pet or, even more so, a
      child one had been asked to watch, is the attitude we should have to
      everything. This is mindfulness in the highest order. This is what
      happens when the will we are obeying is Someone else's, not our own.
      We take extra care with the things of God because they are His, not
      our own.

      Of course, the ultimate truth is that this step points to the fact
      that NOTHING is really our own, everything is God's. We "own" nothing
      in the absolute sense, that is, with the freedom to dispense or waste
      or expend or destroy it with no responsibility at all for the common
      good. Christians "own" things in stewardship for the good of all.

      It may take all of our lives to realize it fully, but we are ALL
      doing pet care for God, all the time, nothing less and nothing more!
      And God, like a pet owner or parent who entrusts dear ones
      to another, loves our carefulness very much and treasures us deeply!
      How deep is our love for one who cares for someone we love, but
      deeper still, infinitely so, is the love of God in this respect. Ah, the warmth
      of His smile at such times!

      Message 2 of 6 , May 29, 2016
        +PAX

        Prayers for the eternal rest of all veterans who died in wars on this
        Memorial Day, and for those who suffered and died afterwards at home.
        Prayers too, for all their families and all who mourn them. For all who are
        still serving, especially those in troubled parts of the world. For peace
        and religious tolerance to come and relieve suffering of civilian
        populations.

        Prayers for Kate, whose birthday was yesterday, many more years and graces!
        Ad multos annos!

        Prayers please for the repose of the soul of Abigail Reynolds, a former
        hospital chaplain and MonasticLife member who has died, for her family and
        those who knew her.

        For the happy death of Geoff, diagnosed with terminal cancer and freedom
        from pain in the time left to him, and for all his family and all who will
        mourn him.

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias, Br. Bruno made his solemn vows today. May
        God grant him many years!

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias, Marina began her Oblate novitiate with
        the Tyburn nuns yesterday. May she persevere in the Lord's service for many
        happy years.

        Prayers for A., who seems to have little motivation to treat her anorexia.
        She has struggled for years. Prayers of healing for her, may God grant her
        strength and motivation and emotional stability.

        Please pray that a loving father and his little girl will be reunited soon.
        Despite him having joint custody and a legal agreement on access his ex-wife
        has blocked his access since last September. This is causing great pain in
        the family. Prayers it can resolved without going to court.

        Lord, help us all as You know and
        will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent,
        praise
        Him! Thanks so much. JL

        We must be on our guard, therefore, against evil desires,
        for death lies close by the gate of pleasure.
        Hence the Scripture gives this command:
        "Go not after your concupiscences" (Eccles. 18:30).

        So therefore,
        since the eyes of the Lord observe the good and the evil (Prov. 15:3)
        and the Lord is always looking down from heaven
        on the children of earth
        "to see if there be anyone who understands and seeks God" (Ps. 13:2),
        and since our deeds are daily,
        day and night,
        reported to the Lord by the Angels assigned to us,
        we must constantly beware, brethren,
        as the Prophet says in the Psalm,
        lest at any time God see us falling into evil ways
        and becoming unprofitable (Ps. 13:3);
        and lest, having spared us for the present
        because in His kindness He awaits our reformation,
        He say to us in the future,
        "These things you did, and I held My peace" (Ps. 49:21).

        REFLECTION

        The theme of God seeking His laborers first expressed in the Prologue
        comes back here, like background hints of melody woven through an
        overture. God SEES us, yes, but He also SEEKS us, seeks those who
        seek Him. If we forget that, God's loving, watchful care over us (He
        assigns angels to us!) is reduced to the lackluster charm of a security
        camera,
        an "Eye in the sky."

        Ever lose somebody in airport? It's a funny sort of panic, because
        both of you know that ultimately, somehow you will connect. Until
        that happens, however, a lot of anxious hunting takes place. Do you
        know the joy when two such people finally find each other? It ain't
        slight! While one says "Thank heavens I found you!" the other is
        saying, "But I was looking for you, too, EVERYWHERE!" There is a
        great common blessing in such moments, one which far transcends the
        anxiety of the search which preceded it.

        That's how it is with God. While we are seeking Him, even BEFORE we
        are seeking Him, He is seeking us. There is so much love in that searching,
        on both parts. The novice is to be examined to see if she truly seeks God.
        But the question is not just for novices. "Quaeremus inventum," said St.
        Augustine: "Let us seek Him Whom we have found." And so it goes. A monastic
        life done right has seeking and finding writ large on every page, from
        beginning to end.

        Angels got a bad press in the Roman Catholic world in the 1960's
        and 70's. It became fashionable to be rather scornful of such
        belief and some skeptics viewed guardian angels as only a slight step
        beyond the fairy godmothers of children's tales. Well, folks, it was
        one time they weren't on the crest of a wave. The signs of the times
        told them that emphatically when a ground swell of popularity arose
        with angels as its focus.

        The angels are
        more than human, but less than divine. They share our status of being
        creatures, but they have powers beyond our ken. No wonder popular
        culture embraced them: they are a very good entry level awareness of
        something beyond, something spiritual. Whatever else they may be,
        they are real. Why waste 'em? Let them help us all they can and let
        us ask for more besides! There may be reservations among some of our
        readers about praying to saints, but Scripture abounds with examples of
        conversations with angels, a comforting assurance for our Protestant
        readers.
        Go for it!

        A couple of years ago, a confessor recommended that I pray to
        my Guardian Angel about a problem. No one had said that to me in years! I
        took his advice, however, and loved the results.

        By the way, the Guardian Angels are the patrons of the American
        Cassinese Congregation. I know some guys who probably would have
        loved to change that during the "bad press" years. Thankfully, no one
        did! Holy Guardian Angels, pray for us!

        Message 3 of 6 , May 29

          +PAX

          Prayers for the eternal rest of  Deb’s Mom, and for all her family and all who mourn her, especially Deb.

          Prayers for Mother Benedicte, OSB, newly elected Abbess of Dzobegan, in Africa, and for her Community. This Abbey belongs to the Subiaco Cassinese Congregation, as we do.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Jim T., for who we prayed, and for all his family, especially Diana, and for all who mourn him.

          Prayers for Mark, Miguel, and John who will be ordained priests on June 3, at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Richmond, Virginia, and for all their families. May God grant them many fruitful years of ministry in His service. Prayers especially for John, Mark’s Dad, and for all their proud parents.

          Prayers for Kate, making her observership and celebrating her birthday yesterday. Graces galore and many more, ad multos annos! Grant her help to see God’s will and do it.

          Prayers for Martha, her birthday was also yesterday. Graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

          Prayers for Floyd, recovering from a liver transplant.

          Prayers for Lucia, tendonitis pain worsening and spreading in her arm.

          Prayers that Brittany is protected by God from being forced to sign a contract at work that is not to her benefit, prayers that she is not bullied into accepting something bad for her.