Holy Rule for May 29

    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Alix's Dad, whom we had prayed for, he went to God May 22. Prayers, too, for his wife of 63 years, all their 6 children and 17 grand and great grand children.

      Prayers of Deo gratias and rejoicing: Nancy, for whom we prayed, was told she would have severe pain all her life after her carpal tunnel surgery. The pain, however, has left her, contrary to prognosis, and she is working on building up her muscles. God is good. She has a 5 year old daughter and the life-long sentence of pain would have been a terrible cross for them both. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      As for self-will,
      we are forbidden to do our own will
      by the Scripture, which says to us,
      "Turn away from your own will" (Eccles. 18:30),
      and likewise by the prayer in which we ask God
      that His will be done in us.
      And rightly are we taught not to do our own will
      when we take heed to the warning of Scripture:
      "There are ways which seem right,
      but the ends of them plunge into the depths of hell" (Prov. 16:25);
      and also when we tremble at what is said of the careless:
      "They are corrupt and have become abominable in their will."

      And as for the desires of the flesh,
      let us believe with the Prophet that God is ever present to us,
      when he says to the Lord,
      "Every desire of mine is before You" (Ps. 37:10).

      REFLECTION

      Revolutions usually have several things in common: they respond to a
      need, they go too far in some areas, not far enough in others and
      they tend to brand those not agreeing with them as criminal or
      psychotic. Look at Soviet Russia for most of the 20th century and you
      will see all of these. Look further back at the French Revolution and
      you will find that 1917 in Petrograd offered nothing new, perhaps new
      names for certain aspects, but nothing else.

      The last decades of the 20th century saw a tremendous psychological
      revolution in the West. Its effects were perhaps greatest in some
      religious circles, where those once wary of psychology now embraced
      it more or less wholesale.

      Pieces of our psycho-spiritual world view definitely needed change and
      correction. Unfortunately, like the Bolsheviks and French before them, the
      revolutionaries shot the Imperial family and guillotined a lot of otherwise
      very fine people. Their zeal went a bit too far and they were often followed
      unquestioningly. If one did question one was either totally discounted or
      "enlightened" as to the new way of things post haste, yet again like the
      revolutions in Russia and France- frighteningly so!

      In those years, a close and scathing look was taken at religious
      obedience and the personal will. It certainly was necessary. A lot
      of accumulation under the accept-without-any-question syndrome
      needed examination and sometimes, change.

      Sadly, but predictably, the pendulum swung in a
      very un-Benedictine fashion to the opposite extreme: question
      everything and accept nothing. Personal will, formerly maligned as a
      foolish, worthless and even dangerous entity was now elevated to
      lofty, noble heights that it frankly did not deserve. Not
      astoundingly, both extremes missed the middle road of truth.

      Human will is at once both potentially noble and hopelessly flawed.
      Without God and grace assisting, the prognosis is not good. For
      Christians, however, God's grace and aid ARE available, but they come
      at the price of cooperation and cooperation demands a certain
      sacrifice of our own wills, often even a total sacrifice of them.

      It is perhaps harder for us to see the necessity of abandoning our
      wills than it has been for many before us. We are traipsing through
      the spiritual road with all kinds of extraneous, late 20th century
      baggage about autonomy and maturity and self-actualization carried to
      false extremes.

      Balance, always balance, always moderation in the
      Benedictine way! Our wills can be good and wonderful. It is, after
      all, with our wills that we answer God's call. But part of His call
      is to forget the self and forget its willful tantrums.

      It is fatal to spiritual growth and to community to infer too great a
      maturity or too little. Monastics are not children, but most adults
      have not totally arrived, either! It is foolish to trust those under
      our care with nothing, but equally so to empower them to virtually
      anything. That's just not how monastic life works. St. Benedict
      bluntly says that his followers DESIRE to live under an abbot. If any
      have seriously changed their minds about this, maybe it's time to go.

      A good superior will keep one from being too easy on oneself, but
      will also protect one from being too hard on oneself. I cannot tell
      you the number of times submitting a matter to my superior has
      resulted in something FAR less gruesome than what I had obsessively
      planned for myself! Obedience can and does protect us!

      Some of the wonderful things said about personal will are true, to a
      point, but the revolution failed to emphasize the fact that our wills do
      NOT come with gyroscopes or guarantees. As such, their trustworthiness
      as compasses is far from absolute. The superior, the Rule, the Gospel,
      these are the gyroscopes that enable us to will true North! Without these
      helps, our journey could very easily make the "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
      (or the maiden voyage of the Titanic, if one prefers...) look like a Sunday
      afternoon swan boat ride in Boston's Public Gardens.

      Finally, St. Benedict supports his argument with Scripture. It's a
      clever way of saying: "Hey, you want to argue this? Take it up with
      God." That's where he threw the gauntlet, all those years ago. No one
      in their right mind would dare pick it up.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2016

        +PAX

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Irene, 85, mother of TomKay, listowner at Monastic Life list, and for TomKay and all her family and for all who mourn her.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Nancy-Cassandra, and for all her family and all who mourn her, especially Katie.

        Prayers for Br. Bruno Boyko, OSB, making his solemn vows today as an Olivetan Benedictine at Our Lady of Guadalupe Abbey, Pecos, New Mexico. May God grant him many happy years in His service!

        Prayers for John and Carol, they celebrated their 41st wedding anniversary last week.

        On this Memorial Day in the US, prayers for the eternal rest of all veterans  who died in wars, as well as those who died years after coming back, with disability and suffering. Prayers for their families and all who mourn them.

        Continued prayers for Fr. Vern, he remains critical and recovery will be longer than expected, but he has shown some improvement, Deo gratias.  However, he is still very critically ill, prayers for his healing and for his parish, St. Francis of Assisi.

        Prayers for Joy, wife and mother of 7, who has inoperable brain cancer. Prayers for healing, if God wills. Prayers, too, for her husband and all their children and family.

        Prayers for Christina, that her eye tumor is not cancerous and that her other medical problems can be solved. She is the mother of three young boys.

        Prayers for Nina, 84, recovering from effects of a recent stroke.

        Prayers for Bill, 56, on hospice for cancer that isn't responding to new treatments.

[...]

        Human will is at once both potentially noble and flawed.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 28

          +PAX

          As the US celebrates Memorial Day, prayers for all those who died in wars, and for their families and all who mourn them. Prayers for those whose lives were forever changed by wars, who were never the same again.

          Prayers for Br. Bruno, OSB, celebrating his first anniversary in solemn vows, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

          Prayers for John and Carol, 42nd wedding anniversary last week, many more happy years! Ad multos annos!

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Irene, TomKay’s Mom, on the anniversary of her death and prayers for TomKay and all who mourn her.

          Prayers for the happy death of Jim T., Diana’s father-in-law, in his last days of hospice care Prayers that he gets all the Sacraments he can and the Apostolic Pardon.

          Prayers for Diana, sick with a cold that has taken her voice.

          Let us pray that multitudes will seek forgiveness and become saints, that many will enter heaven.