Holy Rule for May 4

    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2007

      Little Ethan, the baby with leukemia we have been praying for still has
      found no match for a bone marrow transplant. His Dad is going to donate stem
      cells to him to buy time. This is a very risky procedure for his Dad, whose
      spleen could rupture, causing him to bleed to death. hence, ardent prayers for
      them both and all their family. Prayers for Will, severe alcoholism, resisting
      family attempts to intervene and help. Prayers for him and all his family,
      please. Prayers for John, who suffered a stroke. His daughter is to be married
      in June and he is so hopeful of recovering enough to walk her down the aisle,
      prayers, too, for his daughter and her fiance and all their family. Prayers
      for Fr. Bob Fuchek, on his ordination anniversary.

      Prayers for Mike, 62 today and retiring after 33 years. Ad multos annos and
      many blessings. Prayers for Gianna, 3, troubling, persistent cough, being
      checked out this morning, and for Tom and Kasey, her parents and all their
      family. Prayers for Charles, making his First Communion this week, and for all of
      his family, some of whom have fallen away from their Faith. Lord, help us all
      as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

      Prologue (continued)

      And the Lord, seeking his laborer
      in the multitude to whom He thus cries out,
      says again,
      "Who is the one who will have life,
      and desires to see good days" (Ps. 33:13)?
      And if, hearing Him, you answer,
      "I am the one,"
      God says to you,
      "If you will have true and everlasting life,
      keep your tongue from evil
      and your lips that they speak no guile.
      Turn away from evil and do good;
      seek after peace and pursue it" (Ps. 33:14-15).
      And when you have done these things,
      My eyes shall be upon you
      and My ears open to your prayers;
      and before you call upon Me,
      I will say to you,
      'Behold, here I am'" (Ps. 33:16; Is. 65:24; 58:9).

      What can be sweeter to us, dear ones,
      than this voice of the Lord inviting us?
      Behold, in His loving kindness
      the Lord shows us the way of life.

      REFLECTION

      The tenderness of St. Benedict, as well as his tender image of God,
      is evident all through this portion, harking back to his fatherly
      affection at the beginning of the Prologue. The intensity, the
      sweetness of the last lines today is so great that it borders on too
      much. This must be St. Benedict at his all but gushingly most
      sincere, and that is a good time to listen with extra care to him,
      since he doesn't just gush on every other page!

      In the midst of all this sweetness, look at the question he puts in
      the Lord's mouth: "Who is the one who will have life and desires to
      see good days?" Granted, it is a quote from the Psalms, but St.
      Benedict could have used something else, or written his own, or
      employed a rhetorical question. He didn't, though, he used this one
      and that is most fortunate.

      He does not have God in the teeming marketplace hollering out: "Who
      wants to be a monk? Who wants to be a nun? Who wants to be an
      Oblate?" (Chuckle: if God DID call out "Who wants to be an Oblate?",
      how many people you know would yell back: "What's an Oblate??") No
      doubt, for some on the monastic way, those may have been the first
      questions. For many others, it was not nearly that direct.

      This question allows us to ponder (if God and you will pardon the
      phrase,) the Divine sneakiness. How many of the stories we hear of
      how people came to the monastic way and were drawn to the Benedictine
      life give witness to God's loving "sneakiness." God cannot lie and
      His query here is not a lie, but He can certainly CHOOSE the truth He
      uses to draw us. Like any parent of a stubborn child, He knows that
      some approaches work better than others.

      I know Brother Bernard Aurentz, now dead, joined St. Leo because he
      liked Florida and thought the monastery was on the Gulf of Mexico!
      The picture of a palm tree by water in a vocation ad sure sold him!
      He just didn't realize they were on a large lake, 40 miles inland!
      God didn't deceive him, He just didn't make the geography evident
      until the guy arrived and stayed for the rest of his life.

      God doesn't trick us in a wrong way, but He often allows us to do the
      right thing for the wrong reason! No doubt He knows that's the only
      way He could have gotten us in the door!

      There is a lot more than sneakiness in this question, however. How
      many times, when speaking of monastic life, or married life, or any
      vocation, do we stress its harsher aspects? To some extent, monastic
      life and married life get the brunt of this: "Oh, it isn't easy,
      blah, blah, blah...It's no cinch, there's a lot of hardship." OK,
      there is, no problem there, but there is also a lot of sweetness if
      any vocation is done right.

      How many people would have gotten married if the proposal included a
      litany of night-feedings and diaper pails, much less if the proposal
      could have announced the birth of a severely handicapped child or the
      paralysis of the spouse or the tragedy of an auto accident far in the
      future? We do both marriage and monastic life a great harm when we
      emphasize only the difficult things.

      There IS joy in marriage, great joy, and there is in the monastic
      way, too. Just like any good proposal, God asks us to respond to the
      good things He is offering and they are not slight!

      By the way, a traditional joke used when a monastic is writing his or her
      profession chart is to tell the person to leave a lot of space between the
      lines: so God can add things later!! He has a way of doing that, with or
      without the spaces between the lines!!

      brjeromeleo@...