Holy Rule for May 3

    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2007

      Prayers for all our Jameses and Philips on their feastday. Blessings galore,
      y'all!

      Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Ellie, the child with heart surgery
      for whom we prayed and for Betsy & John, her parents.The surgery was long and
      they repaired the hole and re-routed blood vessels and installed a pacemaker.
      Prayers for her continued recovery. Prayers for Carol, suffering badly with
      allergies, also for Larry, who has just returned from the west coast for
      employment interviews and is waiting to hear from them.
      Prayers for all students who will be taking their AP exams starting next
      week, and for those who teach and prepare them for same! Prayers for Tony,
      hoping that a job he wants at Fordham is God's will for him.
      Prayers please, for Mary, impending surgery, about which she is quite
      concerned.

      Prayers, too, for Jane, who is approaching death from Lupus. Please pray for
      her and her family, that they all may be comforted, and secure in the
      knowledge of God's love and mercy. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for a
      pilgrimage filled with blessings for Ann, now prayers for her safe journey home.

      Prologue (continued)

      Let us arise, then, at last,
      for the Scripture stirs us up, saying,
      "Now is the hour for us to rise from sleep" (Rom. 18:11).
      Let us open our eyes to the deifying light,
      let us hear with attentive ears
      the warning which the divine voice cries daily to us,
      "Today if you hear His voice,
      harden not your hearts" (Ps. 94:8).
      And again,
      "Whoever has ears to hear,
      hear what the Spirit says to the churches" (Matt. 11-15; Apoc. 2:7).
      And what does He say?
      "Come, My children, listen to Me;
      I will teach you the fear of the Lord" (Ps. 33:12).
      "Run while you have the light of life,
      lest the darkness of death overtake you" (John 12:35).

      REFLECTION

      Check out the similarities of this section, at the beginning of the
      Holy Rule, and the readings of early Lent, which stress that "now is
      the acceptable time." It brings to mind St. Benedict's later chapter
      which says that the monastic life ought always to have some semblance
      of Lent.

      That perpetual Lent chapter is the source of a lot of grumbling about
      austerity from one camp and cheering about it from another. Both may
      have missed a salient point. Perhaps the greatest element of
      perpetual Lent has less to do with austerity- even the monastic fast
      did not last all year. What are perpetually in style are repentance,
      wakefulness
      and self-examination.

      Monastic life withers in either smugness or a rut. What St. Benedict
      wants us to do is always to try and stay at that serious moment of
      taking inventory that many of us feel at Lent's beginning. We need to
      always be checking what needs to be cleaned up and we need to be
      prepared, even a bit eager, to start working on it. This is why a
      daily examination of conscience is so necessary. Compline, the
      traditional liturgical place for such examens, is a very apt place
      for same. As we prepare for sleep, which prefigures death, we prepare
      also for death, by examining our faults and asking forgiveness.

      The Holy Rule, like Lent, is by no means the gateway to an easier
      life, but to a holier one. As we actually grow in holiness much of it
      will become easier, more natural to us. But until that time, it is a
      struggle and, in unconquered areas, it remains something of a
      struggle for all of our lives. What's hard about that struggle isn't
      fasting or penance, but changing ourselves. Austere practices are
      just a means to that end, not ends in themselves.

      The whole idea of Lent and the Holy Rule is lasting change for the
      better. Lent is a seasonal construct to get us to begin anew, the
      Holy Rule says that beginning anew must be a daily thing. Lent is an
      attempt to get us to do for forty days what we ought to have been
      doing all year. The Holy Rule is a way to do what we ought to do all
      year, every day.