Holy Rule for Apr. 28

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2007

      Prayers, please, for Sylvia, graduating with a degree in psychology, and
      needs prayers to find a job, also for her Mom, Jin. Prayers for Ann's health and
      for her pilgrimage to be filled with graces. Prayers, please, for Sarah, a
      college student, who died this week; for Divine Mercy and her salvation. She
      had been very depressed and the circumstances of her death are troubling.
      Prayers, too, for her family and especially her younger siblings.

      Little Lily, for whom we have prayed, her first birthday is today and she is
      in serious kidney impairment difficulties, continued prayers, please, for
      this brave child. Prayers for a Taize retreat for youth in Montreal, especially
      for Cheryl's son on that retreat, and for Cheryl and all those she serves as
      a social worker. Prayers for Tania, kidney dialysis, waiting for a
      transplant. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy

      Chapter 70: That No One Venture to Punish at Random

      Every occasion of presumption
      shall be avoided in the monastery,
      and we decree that no one be allowed
      to excommunicate or to strike any of her sisters
      unless the Abbess has given her the authority.
      Those who offend in this matter
      shall be rebuked in the presence of all,
      that the rest may have fear.

      But children up to 15 years of age
      shall be carefully controlled and watched by all,
      yet this too with all moderation and discretion.
      All, therefore, who presume
      without the Abbess' instructions
      to punish those above that age
      or who lose their temper with them,
      shall undergo the discipline of the Rule;
      for it is written,
      "Do not to another what you would not want done to yourself" (Tobias
      4:16).

      REFLECTION

      Ever work in a place where there was such chaos that you always had
      to be protecting yourself from just about everybody, where you never
      knew from which quarter doom might swoop down without warning. Trust
      me, it ain't much fun. Been there, done that! St. Benedict wisely saw
      that healthy people cannot live that way- it makes them sick- and
      sick people cannot either, it makes them sicker in a big hurry!

      Our communities, our families, and our own behavior at work or school
      should never buy into such lunacy. One advantage of a central
      authority is that it takes the heat, or ought to take it! To leave
      those we have under our care at the mercy of each other, be they
      siblings or monastics or employees, is a terrible abdication of
      responsibility.

      The other telling thing here is the proscription against losing one's
      temper. Hey, I know it happens, and I often even know how. It surely
      has happened to me, alas. But our communities are to be founded on peace.

      When disagreement comes or wrong is done, our first resort must
      NEVER be the overkill of the heaviest possible artillery. Much less than
      that is effective in most cases and giving more than is necessary just
      destroys our inner peace. That, my friends, is something we should
      never allow things around us to destroy.

      Two other important things are to be borne in mind. The other person may
      honestly have no clue that they have offended or done anything wrong. It
      may be in our own wrong-headed perceptions. Also, the silent treatment or
      the cold shoulder freeze out are demeaning and not terribly mature ways to
      deal with conflict, especially if the person receiving such nonsense is
      expected
      to either know or guess what she has done wrong. Such petulant behaviors
      are beneath humanity itself, much less Christianity and terribly beneath
      monastic life.

      Far from the "mutually assured destruction" tactic of the nuclear days,
      we should always and everywhere espouse gentleness and polite restraint.
      Our disagreements and corrections should be marked with mercy, even to
      those who fail mercy themselves. (There is no shortage of such people and
      no need to duplicate services there!) So much of charity is genuine courtesy
      and respect, qualities which are sadly easy to fail. We must be mindful, ever
      mindful!

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 27, 2008

        Prayers for the spiritual, mental and phsyical well-being of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who take care of them:

        Someone who is on his way to Europe to be with his cousin who is dying of cancer, and for the cousin's happy death and eternal rest and for all who will mourn him.

        Kee-Soo, 57, who has been ill for many years and now is in hospital with serious kidney troubles. Prayers, too, for his wife and children.

        Mary F., that God give her the job He wants fo her, interview coming up soon.

        Paul, panic and depression, and for his wife and Mom.

        Colleen, social worker woried about violence from clients at her workplace.

        Peter who was recently engaged is having conflict with his ex-fiancee and they are going to court. Peter is now having a break down.....

        Father Mark, he has the arduous job of cleaning up a dysfunctional parish ,very messy ...

        Chantel who has been diagnosed with a brain tumor, family very worried.

        Nadia and all her family. She makes her First Communion next week.

        Deo gratias, Michael, for whom we prayed when he disappeared has contacted friends. Hopefully things will resolve according to God's will.