Holy Rule for Apr. 24

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 23, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Abbot Fidelis of St. Leo
      (+1992) Today is his patron's feast day, St. Fidelis of Sigmaringen. He taught
      me much of what I pass on to you. May he rest in peace!

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Peter, on his anniversary of
      death, and for his son, Tom and all his family. Prayers for a woman in ICU,
      critically ill with lungs deteriorating and on a ventilator, also for Jose,
      her distraught husband, and all their family. Prayers for Maria, on her
      birthday.

      Prayers, please, for Fr. Virgil, seriously ill from an infection and in
      intensive care. He is responding to the medication they're giving him but has a
      long way to go to recover. Prayers, please, for Alex and Ian and their son ,
      Tyson, born 12th April. He has already been hospitalized once for jaundice
      and is now losing weight with the threat of being hospitalized a second time.
      Please pray for the anxious parents and the health and well-being of their
      little one, and the anxious grandparents who are unable to be with them until
      May 6th. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is

      Chapter 66: On the Porter of the Monastery

      At the gate of the monastery
      let there be placed a wise old woman,
      who knows how to receive and to give a message,
      and whose maturity will prevent her from straying about.
      This porter should have a room near the gate,
      so that those who come may always find someone at hand
      to attend to their business.
      And as soon as anyone knocks or a poor person hails her,
      let her answer "Thanks be to God" or "A blessing!"
      Then let her attend to them promptly,
      with all the meekness inspired by the fear of God
      and with the warmth of charity.

      Should the porter need help,
      let her have one of the younger sisters.

      If it can be done,
      the monastery should be so established
      that all the necessary things,
      such as water, mill, garden and various workshops,
      may be within the enclosure,
      so that there is no necessity
      for the sisters to go about outside of it,
      since that is not at all profitable for their souls.

      We desire that this Rule be read often in the community,
      so that none of the sisters may excuse herself
      on the ground of ignorance.

      REFLECTION

      Modern monasteries in our Order rarely have gatehouses, let alone
      porters waiting at them. In one way, that's too bad, because one
      often sees visitors come to a monastery without a clue as to where to
      go first, or how to contact someone. On the other hand, it would
      wasteful to employ one person full-time at such an endeavor in our
      smaller communities of today, since whole days may go by in many
      places with few or none needing assistance.

      What we have today is the phone, and phone manners are how this best
      translates into modern life for both Oblates and professed. It is a terrible
      thing whenever monks have answered the phone with an attitude
      that clearly said: "You've got some nerve putting me out like this,
      disturbing me, etc." with little concern for the person on the other end
      of the line.

      One certainly wouldn't want to call such a monastery twice. If one
      had never called one before, it is unlikely that one would want to
      try another, to go for 2 out of 3, just in case. See the great
      responsibility we have?

      When a phone or doorbell rings, whether in a great Benedictine abbey
      or an urban Benedictine apartment, we have the opportunity to
      practice the hospitable grace that the Holy Rule requires of all.
      Dorothy Day's friend and mentor, Father Hugo, used to say that we
      love God as much as the one we love the least. That would readily
      translate here. I LOVE to see certain guests arrive, look forward to
      it as soon as I hear they are coming. Those are not the receptions on
      which I should judge my hospitality. The difficult ones are.

      The point here is that we ARE Benedictines, whether our answering
      style makes that evident or not. I might not like to think so, but
      the anonymity of just saying "Hello," without my name or title does
      not entitle me to be harsh or gruff or rude. All of us are bound by
      something Benedictine within us to be kind and gracious to all who
      call or visit.

      Someone who calls the guesthouse- or an Oblate's home- for the first
      time can be driven away or attracted by the way they are dealt with
      on the phone. To risk alienating someone because of our own moods
      might mean that we cheat someone out of a spiritual friendship they
      sorely need. I can't tell you how many people who just called us out
      of nowhere in the last nine years have become real members of our
      family, greatly beneficial to themselves and to us. Anyone of those
      first experiences could have been irreparably soured by a cranky
      phone manner. Look at what all of us would have lost had that
      happened.

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 23, 2008
        +PAX

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Abbot Fidelis of St. Leo
        (+1992) Today is his patron's feast day, St. Fidelis of Sigmaringen. He taught
        me much of what I pass on to you. May he rest in peace!

        Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physcial well-being of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

        Suzie, traumatic brain injury 5 years ago, not uncontrollable seizures meds can't help.

        Clarice and her grandson, Benjamin, 20, thrown out of the house by his father.

        Terry, apparently an allergic reaction to a blood tranfusion after dialysis, but docs uncertain and for his worried wife.

        Jerry, whose bone marrow transplant we prayed for has been discharged. Deo gratias!

        Lee, very near death, 55, baptized Catholic but has no faith and never practiced. For a miracle of a happy death accepting Jesus and His Divine Mercy.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 23, 2016
          +PAX

          Let us pray for the happy death of Michael, 65, who is dying of stage 4
          pancreatic cancer. He has reached end stages, including delirium at this
          point. The hospice nurse thinks it Is a matter of days. We pray also for
          Leigh, his wife, who has just begun to reach out to friends, who have been
          offering to help for quite some time. She's ready now.

          Please pray for Brian, who left the Benedictine novitiate after five months.
          Pray that he remain a good Catholic and also for healing for his friend,
          Jim, who was so proud of him being a novice.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of two Florida teens lost at sea, Perry and
          Austin, their boat, missing for nearly a year, has been found. No bodies
          were recovered, prayers for their families and for all who mourn them.

          Thank you so much for the prayers that have been offered for baby Millie, 7
          months, her family and her parish. Millie died Friday morning. Her heart,
          liver, and kidneys went to three others upon her death. Prayers for a good
          outcome for all three families that received these gifts and are thankful
          for any and all goodness that comes from this tragic death. Prayers for
          Seton, that he may get through singing in the choir at her funeral without
          crying.

          Prayers for a swift and uncomplicated healing following cataract surgery for
          Edmond D. He has a type of glaucoma developing as well, and a successful
          cataract surgery will slow it down considerably.

          Prayers for Fr. Christopher P. and John B., may the Holy Spirit fill them
          both abundantly.

          Deo gratias and prayers of thanks for Ernest, for whom we prayed,continued
          prayers for his recovery. This update is from his son, Ernest, Jr.: Thank
          you to all those who prayed. My father, Ernest Sr. had a successful surgery
          and is now recovering. I know God knows best and placing my trust in an all
          knowing and powerful God is key but, sharing my burdens and knowing others
          are praying with me certainly helped in lessening the anxiety.

          Lord, help us all as
          You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never
          absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

          April 24, August 24, December 24
[...]

          All of us have folks we love to see arrive. Those are not the
          receptions on which we should judge our hospitality. The tough-to-love
          ones are.

          The point here is that we ARE Benedictines, whether our answering
          style of door or phone makes that evident or not. All of us are
          bound by something Benedictine within us to be kind and gracious to all
          who call or visit.

          Someone who calls a monastery for the first time can be driven
          away or attracted by the way they are dealt with on the phone.
          A vocation could driven away by a smartingly cold response. To
          risk alienating someone because of our own moods might mean that we
          cheat someone out of a spiritual respite they sorely need.

          People who just called us out of nowhere in the course of
          many years have become real members of our family, greatly

          http:www.stmarysmonastery.org

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 23

            +PAX

            Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, we had a good Oblate Day at Petersham, prayers that the graces remain with all our Oblates.

            Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias, Frank, for whom we prayed, has been discharged from the hospital. Continued prayers for his recovery and trip home to the USA.

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Norma, 89, and for all her family and all who mourn her, especially Chris. Prayers that Chris returns to the Church. (This is not the Norma we prayed for the other day, who had hip surgery.)

            Continued prayers for Ryan’s job search, there is some promising news.

            Prayers for Wayne L., undergoing open heart surgery for four large blockages in his arteries, and prayers for his family and doctors.

            Prayers for Bev E., who is not responding to chemo. She has been hospitalized with an immune system crash. Prayers they can get her blood numbers up fast so she can go home.

            Prayers for Grace and Ethan, received into the Catholic Church during the Easter Vigil last week, may they have many graces and many years!