Holy Rule for Apr. 17

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16, 2007
      +PAX

      The worst mass slaying in US history occurred Monday on the campus of
      Virginia Technical Institute: 32 dead, including the gunman, who took his own life,
      and 26 injured, some critically. Prayers, please, for the happy death and
      eternal rest of all the dead and for all their families and those who mourn
      them. Prayers for the injured and their healing and their families. Special
      prayers (because many will omit him...) for the gunman. How awful to take one's
      own life at any time, but how terribly awful within minutes of such horrible
      killings. May the Divine Mercy have called him and all his victims to eternal
      life and may they all have answered that call. Please recall how powerful the
      Divine Mercy Chaplet is for the dying and that it is NEVER too late to pray.
      God is outside of time. Together we can offer many Chaplets for all of the
      dead. How many, after all, ordinarily walk into a college German class prepared
      to die?

      Prayers for one in discernment, an important meeting on Friday of this week.
      Prayers, please, for Joe, who is facing a recurrence of cancer. He needs a
      consult, but the doctors are all booked solid and overwhelmed right now.
      Prayers for these doctors. Prayers also for a 63 year old who has Alzheimer's,
      and for a woman with Parkinson's, whose tremors have returned, and for her
      husband and her sister-in-law.

      Prayers for the crew of a ship which sank near Shetland, UK. Several Crew
      were found dead or are missing. The search for further survivors has been
      called off. Prayers for their happy death and eternal rest and for their
      families and all who mourn them. Prayers, too, for the small community there which
      this affects so deeply. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so
      much. JL

      April 17, August 17, December 17
      Chapter 62: On the Priests of the Monastery

      If an Abbot desire
      to have a priest or a deacon ordained for his monastery,
      let him choose one
      who is worthy to exercise the priestly office.

      But let the one who is ordained
      beware of self-exaltation or pride;
      and let him not presume to do anything
      except what is commanded him by the Abbot,
      knowing that he is so much the more subject
      to the discipline of the Rule.
      Nor should he by reason of his priesthood forget
      the obedience and the discipline required by the Rule,
      but make ever more and more progress towards God.

      Let him always keep the place which he received
      on entering the monastery,
      except in his duties at the altar
      or in case the choice of the community and the will of the Abbess
      should promote him for the worthiness of his life.
      Yet he must understand
      that he is to observe the rules laid down by deans and Priors.

      Should he presume to act otherwise,
      let him be judged not as a priest but as a rebel.
      And if he does not reform after repeated admonitions,
      let even the Bishop be brought in as a witness.
      If then he still fails to amend,
      and his offenses are notorious,
      let him be put out of the monastery,
      but only if his contumacy is such
      that he refuses to submit or to obey the Rule.

      REFLECTION

      The other day I passed the assistant manager of our local supermarket
      cleaning up a bad mess on the floor with sweeping compound. I stopped
      and told him that was the best possible thing his employees could
      see. I congratulated him, saying that his employees would more likely
      do anything for him gladly. They had seen him do it first.

      This chapter applies to anyone who rises at work or at school or even
      in the home. Much is required of those to whom much is given! When a
      Benedictine gets a promotion, the basic willingness to do anything
      necessary ought to remain firmly in place!

      Authority, when it is placed over us, is to be reverenced and obeyed,
      when it is placed in our own hands, it is to serve, not to reign! All
      of us get the opportunity to live under authority or to administer
      same. Our Benedictine hearts should make it readily evident to any
      who observes us that our style in either area is decidedly different!

      There's another thing both the world and religious life could profit
      from learning. Authority in the Holy Rule is not permanent, not even
      in the case of an Abbot, whom St. Benedict says may, even ought to be
      removed in extreme cases. So often, in cloister or world, once we
      have kicked someone upstairs, we are hesitant to ever put them
      downstairs again. That shouldn't be. It gives the person and the
      community an excellent potential for learning and teaching humility.
      Whenever anyone handles authority badly, really badly, they should
      not be rewarded with continued administration. Alas, that is often
      not the case.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 16, 2016
        +PAX

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Bobbie, and for all his family and all who
        mourn him.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of John, and for all his family and all who
        mourn him.

        Prayers for the success of Alex's General Assembly and for the safety of all
        traveling there..

        Please pray for Kathy. We have prayed for her in the past. She has had two
        bone marrow transplants and both have failed. She was taken to hospital
        during the night with multiple infections and her immune system
        compromised. Does not look good.

        Prayers, please, for Sandy, that she be healed and comforted. She is in a
        lot of pain and currently much limited in activity.

        Prayers for Vince, who has been diagnosed with degenerative joint disease in
        his knee and is in a lot of pain and not able to move around very much.

        <http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/> http://www.stmarysmonastery.org
        Petersham, MA.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 16
          +PAX

          Prayers for David and Neesha and their baby, Declan Jerome, they are in the 19th week of pregnancy. They have been waiting for this child for 11 years, so ardent prayers, please, that a healthy and safe pregnancy leads to a safe and healthy delivery for Mom and baby. They are due Sept. 10, please keep the prayers coming!

          Healing prayers for Keith, many troubles after detached retina surgery and now the detachment seems to have returned.

          Continued prayers for baby Grace, Downs Syndrome and in the hospital. Her fever has passed, but now she is having breathing troubles. Prayers for her parents, grandparents and family, too, please.

          Continued prayers for Frank, on a ventilator and very ill while visiting Israel, and for his wife, Mary Ellen and all their family. Prayers he gets well and can get safely home.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Robert, 37, and for his family, especially his son, and all who mourn him.

[...]

          One day I passed the assistant manager of our local supermarket