Holy Rule for Mar. 28

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Nettie, whom we have prayed before, in her final days,
      for her happy death and eternal rest and for Mary, her daughter, who's
      trying to spend as much time with her dying mom as possible. Prayers for Tony,
      stage 4 cancer of the liver. Deo Gratias for Nick, the barber whom we prayed
      for. His tests show cancer, but Stage 2. Prayers for Carol, in hospice, for her
      happy death and eternal rest and for her childhood friend, Joan who sat with
      her yesterday.

      Cindy, for whom we prayed, has gone to God, prayers for her happy death and
      eternal rest and for her husband, Terry, her children, Jason and Marie and all
      who mourn her. Deo gratias: Liz, for whom we prayed has delivered her baby.
      Courtney weighs under four pounds and she will be in neonatal ICU for a
      while, she needs prayers to gain weight and strength and prayers for her parents,
      Terry and Liz, as well.

      Prayers for Charlie, potentially fatal meningitis and for Jennifer and all
      his family. Prayers for Marushka, stress leave from work and badly needing a
      transfer to another position with her employer. Prayers for an annulment
      process. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy

      Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor

      From the Calends of October until the beginning of Lent,
      let them apply themselves to reading
      up to the end of the second hour.

      At the second hour let Terce be said,
      and then let all labor at the work assigned them until None.
      At the first signal for the Hour of None
      let everyone break off from her work,
      and hold herself ready for the sounding of the second signal.
      After the meal
      let them apply themselves to their reading or to the Psalms.

      On the days of Lent,
      from morning until the end of the third hour
      let them apply themselves to their reading,
      and from then until the end of the tenth hour
      let them do the work assigned them.
      And in these days of Lent
      they shall each receive a book from the library,
      which they shall read straight through from the beginning.
      These books are to be given out at the beginning of Lent.

      But certainly one or two of the seniors should be deputed
      to go about the monastery
      at the hours when the sisters are occupied in reading
      and see that there be no lazy sister
      who spends her time in idleness or gossip
      and does not apply herself to the reading,
      so that she is not only unprofitable to herself
      but also distracts others.
      If such a one be found (which God forbid),
      let her be corrected once and a second time;
      if she does not amend,
      let her undergo the punishment of the Rule
      in such a way that the rest may take warning.

      Moreover, one sister shall not associate with another
      at inappropriate times.

      REFLECTION

      Lectio divina, sacred reading, is the Benedictine form of
      contemplation, more ancient than many later forms, both Carmelite and
      Athonite. Being so ancient, it comes with very few directions. Much
      of its "method" has been developed and handed down by monastics over
      the centuries since St. Benedict. Even in that embellished form, it
      remains a very, very simple and efficient means to contemplative
      prayer. One simply reads Scripture or the Fathers (or Mothers!)
      slowly, reflectively, ruminating (like a cow chewing its cud!) on
      each word and verse. As St. Romuald later observed, one waits like a
      chick for whatever its mother gives it. One does not read to get
      through the book. One reads to see if and when the Holy Spirit calls
      us to higher prayer with a word or phrase that strikes the heart. At
      that point, one should follow one's heart and not worry about
      finishing the page! Cleared for takeoff!

      It is interesting that St. Benedict weaves all these schedules of
      contemplative reading and prayer together with his manual labor
      concerns, without any ado. There's another example of the dignity and
      holiness of work in a Benedictine theology. Our work, too, is prayer.
      It must be. We must, somehow, learn to be all prayer. That same
      ruminative mindfulness that colors our lectio must color our labor as
      well. It is a different form of attention, a different form of
      prayer, but it is prayer nonetheless! Just ask any gardener or cook
      with a mystical heart or, for that matter, any toilet cleaner or
      diaper changer of the same ilk!

      The Carmelites prescribe mental prayer, which should, with
      recollection, spread throughout one's day. The hesychasts of Mount
      Athos, Romania and Russia stress the Jesus Prayer, said vocally until
      it becomes automatic in the heart at all times. Both of these are
      more explicit methodologies, but the Benedictine aim is the same:
      prayer without ceasing, prayer in choir and garden and cell, prayer
      at reading and prayer at work. Mindfulness of God at all times is the
      contemplative goal of all these systems.

      This is just my own opinion, but I am inclined to think that the
      Dominican concept of contemplation comes closest to our own, largely
      because of their love of study. Study, for the Dominican, is often
      very similar to lectio in the Benedictine scheme of things. Why?
      Because the Dominican seeks Truth, and Jesus said: "I am the Truth."
      A Dominican could be reading Karl Marx and still know that every bit
      of real, objective truth garnered from that reading would be yet
      another shard, no matter how small, in the infinite mosaic of the
      face of Christ. That is a mosaic none of us shall ever complete in
      this life, but oh, how much more familiar He shall seem to us when we
      meet Him because of it!

      Maybe I'm just prejudiced, but I think that a Dominican education,
      such as I had, is a wonderful preparation for Benedictine life.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28, 2008
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Eva, who died Thursday at about noon, and continued prayers for her son, Dave, and all their family.

        Prayers, too, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who treat them:

        Barbara, unable to walk, possible toxins and heart infection.

        Brad, attempted suicide, but now on meds, family seeking residential tretament facility.

        Tracey, who ran into a pole after losing control on icy roads. She was 8 months pregnant; the baby is fine, but tracy is still unable to reccognize her daughter and does not remember being pregnant even though she's held her baby boy. She thinks she's 16; she recognizes her brother but not her sister.

        Victoria and for the relationship God wills her to have with her sister and nephew.
        Lord, help us all as You know
        and
        Him! Thanks so much. JL

        ++++ Ah, the problems of doing re-runs: this is the fourth time I have copied
        and sent reflections for 3/28 and 3/29 in reverse order. Sigh.... Mea culpa!
        Here is the 28th to catch up. JL

        March 28, July 28, November 27
        Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor

        Idleness is the enemy of the soul.
        Therefore the sisters should be occupied
        at certain times in manual labor,
        and again at fixed hours in sacred reading.
        To that end
        we think that the times for each may be prescribed as follows.

        From Easter until the Calends of October,
        when they come out from Prime in the morning
        let them labor at whatever is necessary
        until about the fourth hour,
        and from the fourth hour until about the sixth
        let them apply themselves to reading.
        After the sixth hour,
        having left the table,
        let them rest on their beds in perfect silence;
        or if anyone may perhaps want to read,
        let her read to herself
        in such a way as not to disturb anyone else.
        Let None be said rather early,
        at the middle of the eighth hour,
        and let them again do what work has to be done until Vespers.

        And if the circumstances of the place or their poverty
        should require that they themselves
        do the work of gathering the harvest,
        let them not be discontented;
        for then are they truly monastics
        when they live by the labor of their hands,
        as did our Fathers and the Apostles.
        Let all things be done with moderation, however,
        for the sake of the faint-hearted.

        REFLECTION

        With one of our several mottos, Ora et Labora, Pray and Work,
        Benedictines have developed a marvelous theology of work. Our
        centuries of reflection on the relationship of prayer and work, and
        on the dignity of work itself have been shared with the Church at
        large and have gone a long way to flesh out the Christian theology of
        labor.

        There's a beautiful glimpse of St. Benedict's tenderness here,
        wrapped in one of his frequent exhortations to moderation. Here we
        have a very important "WHY" of moderation: it is done "for the sake
        of the faint-hearted." Got that? The median road of monastic
        observance is not gauged by the strong, but by the weak among us.
        Herculean ascetics that might quench the smoldering ember or break
        the bruised reed are not for us. In a very real way, God Himself
        decides the observance of a given house by sending those whom He does
        to join it.

        Neither my community nor your family or workplace is an accidental
        fluke. (Tempting to think so at times, but they aren't!) God sent
        those other people who drive you nuts there and He then placed you in
        the midst of them. Odd sense of humor He has! But He knows what He is
        about.

        Some monasteries are the only place in the world a particular member
        of that house could ever be a monastic. Don't scorn that, reverence
        it! What a great and tender mercy of God is there! We are a huge
        Order with rooms and slots for everybody on a very, very wide
        spectrum. Some work more, some pray more, but all must try to balance.

        We work AND pray: Ora et Labora. Carry either too far and the results
        will not be pretty. Too much work can wear a community out, make them
        all but useless for prayer. If this continues for too long a time, it
        can kill monastic life entirely. On the other hand, pray too much and
        work too little and you will wind up with a lot of spoiled, pampered
        lap dogs and lounge lizards of prayer, weak and soft and not much
        good for anything- INCLUDING prayer! See how important balance is?

        Oblates here are at a disadvantage. They don't usually have a
        superior living right with them to tell them when they have gone
        around the bend, off the top and over the falls. That's why those
        objective people who ARE placed around the Oblate, like spouses,
        parents, friends, employers or co-workers, are voices we should
        listen to carefully.

        Note I said "objective." The advice of others is not always and
        everywhere good, but sometimes they can very clearly
        see things to which we are completely blind. That's too important a
        gift to be written off or ignored. Besides, listening is a very
        Benedictine act and so is respect for and attention to authority, as
        well as fraternal obedience.

        The world of the Oblate is full, would we only look, with checks and
        balances to keep us moderate and on course. As Francis Thompson
        observed of the secular world at large:

        "The angels keep their ancient places,
        Turn but a stone and start a wing!
        'Tis we, 'tis our estranged faces
        That miss the many-splendored thing!"

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27, 2016
          +PAX

          Prayers for Karen. She wants to be the kidney donor for her son but her own
          kidney has to show a strong function.

          Prayers for eternal rest of the 29 dead and the recovery of the 60 wounded
          in the terrorist attack in Baghdad, and for the families of all. Prayers for
          the repentance and conversion of the suicide bomber.

          Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor

          Idleness is the enemy of the soul.
          Therefore the sisters should be occupied
          at certain times in manual labor,
          and again at fixed hours in sacred reading.
          To that end
          we think that the times for each may be prescribed as follows.

          From Easter until the Calends of October,
[...]

          Neither my community nor your family nor workplace is an accidental

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 27

            +PAX

            Healing prayers for Maddy, who is suffering from the same kind of cancer that killed her sister. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of her sister and for all their family and all who mourn her sister.

            Prayers for Neo, Brittany and Orest’s dog, suffering perhaps from a stomach tumor, lab work pending. Prayers that he can be treated with medication and recover.

            Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor

            Idleness is the enemy of the soul.
            Therefore the sisters should be occupied
            at certain times in manual labor,
            and again at fixed hours in sacred reading.
            To that end
            we think that the times for each may be prescribed as follows.

            From Easter until the Calends of October,