Holy Rule for Feb. 24

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 2007

      Prayers, please, for Al and Kim, being married this evening (Friday.) May
      God grant them many happy, holy years together and bless them with the family
      they so desire. May His awesome Sacrament of Matrimony fill them with deep joy
      and peace, may they always mirror the love of Christ for His Bride, the
      Church.

      Forty years ago, Father MacFadden, my religion teacher for the senior year
      marriage course, taught us something I have never forgotten. He said that on
      the day of their marriage, a couple is standing knee-deep in an ocean of grace
      that will be with them all their lives. All they need do is trouble
      themselves so little as to reach down and scoop it up and all the graces necessary to
      be faithful to their marriage are there. Sadly, these days, many neither
      believe that nor bother to scoop. Over the years, I have come to disagree with
      his teaching in only one respect: now I tend to think the ocean of grace is
      waist-deep. Yet many seem unwilling to reach even that far. It is so very
      important to pray for married folks, that their lives, their vocations their
      families are filled with grace and God.

      Prayers for M., safety in her new car, a tragic accident has made driving a
      difficult endeavor for her. Prayers for Ann and her workplace, a buy-out has
      everyone's job future uncertain and many are tense and anxious. Prayers for
      Elizabeth, drug addiction. Prayers, please, for vocations to St. Mary's
      Monastery and to Pluscarden Abbey and all our respective monasteries. Lord, help us
      all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

      The order of psalmody for the day Hours being thus arranged,
      let all the remaining Psalms be equally distributed
      among the seven Night Offices
      by dividing the longer Psalms among them
      and assigning twelve Psalms to each night.

      We strongly recommend, however,
      that if this distribution of the Psalms is displeasing to anyone,
      she should arrange them otherwise,
      in whatever way she considers better,
      but taking care in any case
      that the Psalter with its full number of 150 Psalms
      be chanted every week
      and begun again every Sunday at the Night Office.
      For those monastics show themselves too lazy
      in the service to which they are vowed,
      who chant less than the Psalter with the customary canticles
      in the course of a week,
      whereas we read that our holy Fathers
      strenuously fulfilled that task in a single day.
      May we, lukewarm that we are, perform it at least in a whole week!

      REFLECTION

      I am going to begin this by reprinting two paragraphs of very
      important qualifications from the last post on this chapter.

      "I hasten to add a word of caution to Oblates here: the Holy Rule is
      referring to the choral Office in monasteries. To undertake for oneself
      such an Office could well be unwise, and sometimes, even wrong. The
      conditions of one's state in life come first. Oblates who are parents
      or married have kept Vigils and Nocturns with sick children or
      spouses of which professed monastics would never dream. Don't get
      hung up on this one. SHARE the Office all you can, but tend first to
      the responsibilities of your state in life.

      Before I became a monk I used to OCCASIONALLY do all 150 Psalms
      alone. There were two things worthy of mention here: I was a single
      man with one (very loving!) cat, and I recited them. Even at that, I
      can assure you it took up a chunk of time. Hence, Oblates should take
      great care that they don't obsess on this notion. Do what you can and
      rest assured that your community, and the Order and the whole praying
      Church is more then "making up" whatever you can't offer."

      Several years ago, the guesthouse well died (temporarily, thanks
      be to God!) We had to gather 10 gallon plastic buckets for each
      bathroom, haul them down the hill to the monastery in the station
      wagon, fill them and bring them back. What a hassle! We also had to
      caution the guests rather indelicately about unnecessary flushes.
      Even more recently, a storm and left us without electricity for
      about twelve hours. Afraid to open the fridge too much and with no oven,
      we ordered pizza in Athol for the guests.

      Both of these things were tough, but neither were anything compared
      to the amount of labor required to maintain life in the first
      centuries of the Order's existence. Neither were there lay brothers
      to do all that work in those days, since they were a much later
      development. No electricity, no indoor plumbing, no running water, no
      phones, no Athol House of Pizza to call and no car to pick it up in.
      (OK aqueducts in some places, but you get the picture...) In the
      midst of a life that we would find crushingly different, St. Benedict
      insisted on the weekly 150. Hmmmm......

      Every day, well before Mass, I can send this message out to 1,600
      people all over the world with no effort beyond editing and typing the
      prayer requests. Think of what a mailing to 1,600 would entail before
      computers.

      We live in a world where countless labor-saving devices and perks
      give us far more time than anyone in history has ever had. Are we
      always good stewards of that abundance? Heaven knows, I don't want to
      give up those modern advantages, look at how hooked on computers I
      am. But what do we do with all that time? How much of the time we
      save goes to prayer? How much goes to mindless stuff we could well do
      without?

      http://www.aol.com.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 23, 2008

        Prayers for Melissa, on her 30th birthday. Many more years! Prayers for Brittany and other youths travelling to their Diocesan Youth Council meeting. Prayers for Al and Kim, on their first wedding anniversary.

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Justino, 96, near death from congestive heart failure and hallucinating on his meds, prayers for all his family and especially his wife of 60+ years.

        Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their families and loved ones and those who take care of them:

        Jim and Marilyn, devastating news about their unborn children very tough time just now.

        a teenager whose sexual orientation is bringing her a lot of bullying at school, loss of friends, etc., and for those who are bullying and hurting her, too. Prayers for all young people suffering the horrible pains that peers can inflict, and the peers that do so. It can be such a cruel time.

        Deo Gratias, Maryann's aunt for whom we prayed came through miraculously well on her infected leg and may not need dialysis, either.

        Anna Marie, hospice care and not expected to live, for her happy death and eternal rest and all who will mourn her.

        Prayers, please, for vocations to St. Mary's Monastery and to Pluscarden Abbey
        and all our respective monasteries. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL