Holy Rule for Feb. 23

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22 6:11 PM

      Prayers, please, for Eileen who is awaiting some results from tests that
      were done, also for Lisa who is battling some emotional difficulties. Prayers
      for C., awaiting needle biopsy and abdominal ultrasound results, many of us know
      something of how awful that wait can be. Prayers for Walter, already blind
      in one eye, perhaps losing his sight in the other, also for his wife, Rosemary
      and son, William and all their family. Prayers for Ann's Mom, cancer,
      radiation pneumonia, and Cushing's syndrome, also has a pacemaker, and for Ann,
      trying to care for her. Prayers for Melissa, on her birthday, and for Carol, her
      Mom. Prayers, please, for another Carol, it's the tenth anniversary of her
      father's death, and she's dealing with a lot of different feelings and prayers
      for her Dad's happy death and eternal rest. Lord, help us all as You know
      praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Vespers are to be sung with four Psalms every day.
      These shall begin with Psalm 109 and go on to Psalm 147,
      omitting those which are set apart for other Hours;
      that is to say that
      with the exception of Psalms 117 to 127 and Psalms 133 and 142,
      all the rest of these are to be said at Vespers.
      And since there are three Psalms too few,
      let the longer ones of the above number be divided,
      namely Psalms 138, 143 and 144.
      But let Psalm 116 because of its brevity be joined to Psalm 115.

      The order of the Vesper Psalms being thus settled,
      let the rest of the Hour --
      lesson, responsory, hymn, verse and canticle --
      be carried out as we prescribed above.

      At Compline the same Psalms are to be repeated every day,
      namely Psalms 4, 90 and 133.

      REFLECTION

      Maybe it's just me, but I find Vespers and Compline very different
      and refreshing. They are evening hours, not followed by work, except
      for the light clean up after supper, which is not a main meal here
      anyway. Vespers makes me think of finally getting home and shutting
      the door after a long day and a tough commute. It is a flavor no
      other hour has for me. It ends the workday, leaving the evening for
      family. Not shabby! A rite of passage from the job to the home hearth!

      A brief glance at the Psalms for Vespers will show that they are yet
      another example of consecutive, running psalmody. One right after
      another, except for a few which get bumped elsewhere or thoughtfully
      divided because of their length. Apparently by numerical
      happenstance, Psalm 140 winds up in the Vespers grouping, and it is
      most appropriate: "Let my prayer ascend to You like incense and the
      lifting up of my hands like an evening sacrifice." Historically,
      Psalm 140 has appeared in the Vespers or services of light
      (Lucenaria) of many, many rites.

      For active monasteries, or for busy Oblates in the world, evening and
      early morning are often the only times we get of relative cloister
      and focus. The morning hours are largely available to anyone willing
      or able to get up while the rest of the world (including the kids!)
      sleeps, the evening hours perhaps less so. Those evenings are family
      times par excellence and our first vocations must always be respected.

      If, as a working parent or spouse, getting home means just getting
      started with dinner, don't despair! There is (or can be, if you
      provide for it,) a lot of undistracted solitude in cooking, even if
      it is rather harried cooking. The solitude of a cook in the kitchen,
      at work feeding loved ones, is a rich one, indeed. That exercise of
      care for your loved ones is truly prayer, a graced act of love!

      If you are into CD's or tapes, get one of somebody else singing Vespers and
      play it. Heaven knows, if you can put up with the kids' music, they
      can put up with yours for half an hour a day. Even if you do not
      listen to every word, the soothing chant will settle into your bones,
      become a backdrop of peace on which you can position the rest of your
      evening. Give it a shot for two weeks and I'll bet you find your
      evening meals and later times very different, because YOU are
      different!

      http://www.aol.com.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22 8:58 AM

        Prayers, please, for me and the success of the retreat I will be giving next week at Valyermo, California, and for all those making the retreat. May I not get in God's way!

        Father George, who has Parkinson's disease, now newly diagnosed with prostate cancer, surgery after Easter.

        Maggie, surgery to remove a spot on her lung