Holy Rule for Feb. 17

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 16, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers, please for Francis, in hospice care, but resisting receiving the
      Sacraments, which he needs badly. Special prayers (for those so inclined to join
      in,) to St. Joseph are being said for his conversion. His wife, Eva, also
      needs prayers, as she was hospitalized this week with pneumonia, and prayers
      for their son, Dave, and all their family. Prayers needed for Joan, in the
      hospital for what looked like a heart attack, but isn't. Prayers also for her
      husband, Pete, and brother, Fr. Tom. Lord, help us all as You know and will.
      Thanks so much. JL

      February 17, June 18, October 18
      Chapter 14: How the Night Office Is to Be Said on the Feasts of the
      Saints

      On the feasts of Saints and on all festivals
      let the Office be performed
      as we have prescribed for Sundays,
      except that the Psalms, the antiphons and the lessons
      belonging to that particular day are to be said.
      Their number, however, shall remain as we have specified above.

      REFLECTION

      Check out the sickening glut of consumerist advertising that attends
      the approach (even the very remote approach!) of Christmas,
      Valentine's Day, or any other holiday whose traditions include gift-
      giving. Man, the sharks move in for the kill! We can firmly trust the
      secular world to promote and protect the days they stand to profit
      from.

      In fact, in the US, at least, we can count on the greeting card
      industry to even increase those special days. Long since bored with
      just Mother's Day and Father's Day, now the card industry has now
      gone to Grandparents' Day, Secretaries' WEEK, and who knows what is
      next. (Not that I don't love Secretaries, I do, but let us be frank, the
      greeting card industry had something other than love and gratitude in
      mind...)

      There's a truth in all this annoying materialism: those who profit
      from a thing must make it special themselves. In other words, we must
      use our best efforts to celebrate our own feasts, in our own hearts, for our
      own
      spiritual gain, since it is highly unlikely that the holiest feasts for us
      (unless one is named Valentine or Patrick!!) are likely to turn up anytime
      soon in the scheme of secular promotion.

      In our monastery, we celebrate feastdays, not birthdays. This took a
      bit of adjusting to, but now my feastday is even more special than my
      birthday: it is the one everyone knows about and celebrates and tries
      to make special. WE make feastdays special. We profit from them
      spiritually and it is up to us to ensure their importance.

      Take a hint from this chapter and go out of your way to make your own
      special saint's feast or feast of the Lord come alive for you. For
      years now I have loved Feb 2, the Presentation of the Lord, or
      Candlemas. It has become my favorite feast and I honestly look
      forward to it and revel in it. But I had to do that myself, to
      nurture the associations with the day and so forth. All of us can
      give that gift to ourselves and there's no consumerist madness
      involved! Especially in families, this can give the grace of a holy
      and joyous celebration that is truly ours, not some whim of the
      corporate world or a meaningless secularity.

      St. Mary's Monastery, Petersham, MA
      _http://www.stmarysmonastery_ (http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/)

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2008
        +PAX

        I will be gone most of Saturday at Sr. Julian's Mom's funeral. Please pray for her and all their family. Since I will be leaving early in the morning, I am sending Sunday's Holy Rule out today. JL

        Fran, 54, who will undergo surgery on Wed. 2/20.
        Ben, who will marry soon by interfaith minister. Prayers that he marries in the Church as a sacrament.
        Mercedecado, 50, for his multiple health problems, diabetes and heart ailments worsening

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 16

          +PAX

          Prayers for Michael’s mother, who suffered a pulmonary embolism and is hospitalized. They fear additional clots. Prayers for Michael and his father and all their family, too.

          Prayers for Michael B., (Br. Basil,) who is in the hospital with pneumonia.

          Deo gratias, Joshua’s sigmoidoscopy result were very good news.

          Prayers for Jordan, 23, in prison for 11 years without possibility of parole, he had no criminal record and was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Prayers that God protects him in prison. Prayers for his family, and for the victim and all involved. Prayers that God brings about good through all this.

          Prayers please for healing for a five year old, James K , going blind in his left eye, detached retina, possibly from a head injury. Prayers for his mother, Geraldine, who naturally is blaming herself and taking it very bad. Prayers for healing and easing of conscience please.

          Prayers for Mary-Beth, she has abdominal adhesions which are inoperable, and now has a bowel obstruction. This is very serious. Prayers please for healing and God's glory to be made manifest.

          Please pray for a teenage daughter abducted into a human trafficking ring. Authorities are trying to track her down but we need to pray very, very hard that this happens quickly and limited damage is done.

          Prayers for a pregnant mom that is very close to having an abortion. Please pray for the human lives and human dignity of everyone trapped in these situations.

[...]

          bit of adjusting to, but now my feastday is the one everyone knows about and