Holy Rule for Feb. 14

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2007

      Phyllis, for whom we prayed the other day, went into renal failure and the
      family agreed to stop heroics. She died at noon on Tuesday, the family had
      come in and, I believe, had arranged for her to be anointed. Prayers for the
      family, especially her son, Bob, and for her happy death and eternal rest.
      Continued prayers for Ann, in hospice and slowly, serenely moving closer and
      closer to death, also for all her family. Prayers for Myrta, who has advanced
      Alzheimer's, and is suffering from pneumonia and an infection. She probably does
      not have long to live. Prayers for all her family, especially her
      granddaughter, Susan.

      Prayers for Brendan and Basil, for the will of God in an appointment with an
      archbishop which is coming up soon. Huge Deo gratias and thanksgiving for
      Adrian, whom we have prayed for and who waited literally years for his hip
      replacement. It was done, with a bone graft, on Feb. 6 and he is now slowly on
      the mend, continued prayers for his recovery. Prayers for Laurent, who has
      recently been diagnosed with the most aggressive kind of leukemia, and for his
      wife and family. Prayers, too, for Elizabeth and for her husband who recently
      had skin cancer removed from his leg. Prayers for the 5 people shot and killed
      in Philadelphia Naval Yard yesterday, for their happy death and eternal rest
      and for all who mourn them, as well as for whoever shot them. Prayers for
      Kate, seeking a second opinion on her questionable pap test. Prayers, too, for
      C., for a safe journey and discernment for God's will. Prayers for Aletha,
      age 19, cancer of the jaw. Prayers, too, for her family, especially her
      grandparents, Al and Sue.

      Prayers for A. who is dealing with the difficult disorder of anorexia, and
      in in-patient treatment. Richard's aunt, for whom we prayed, received
      favorable results from her breast biopsy and he thanks all for their prayers. Deo
      gratias! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is

      Chapter 12: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said

      The Morning Office on Sunday shall begin with Psalm 66
      recited straight through without an antiphon.
      After that let Psalm 50 be said with "Alleluia,"
      then Psalms 117 and 62,
      the Canticle of Blessing (Benedicite) and the Psalms of praise (Ps.
      148-150);
      then a lesson from the Apocalypse to be recited by heart,
      the responsory, the Ambrosian hymn, the verse,
      the canticle from the Gospel book,
      the litany and so the end.

      REFLECTION

      By now, it should be clear that St. Benedict goes out of his way to
      make Sunday special, its liturgy more solemn and joyous. Tucked in
      this short chapter, however, is a key to the monastic struggle that
      is often forgotten or under-emphasized in the modern West: lifelong
      repentance. Not just during the week, but even on Sundays, the feast
      of the Resurrection spread throughout the year, he wants the
      monastics to say Psalm 50(51), "Have mercy on me, O God..." This is
      the most famous confession of guilt in the Psalter, *THE* penitential
      Psalm par excellence!

      Because East and West understand very different things
      by "repentance" it is easy for either side to become annoyed with the
      interpretation of the other. Extremely put, an Easterner might be
      turned off by what would be seen as the Western practice of "repent
      and get over it," a more or less (to their eyes,) temporary activity.
      Westerners would be equally grossed out by the Eastern position of
      LIFELONG repentance. It would strike them as severe and overdone, a
      bit like the perfect student cheerleader who bursts into tears
      because she got an A minus! (How many of us plodders have wanted to
      retch and gag at such Honor Roll tears!!)

      Have to tell you, folks, I think that the East has the healthiest
      view on this one. They view repentance not just as mourning, but as
      turning around, "metanoia." Granted, the term "metanoia" gained a
      certain popularity in the West in the late 20th century, but its full
      Eastern meaning as a synonym for repentance seems to have escaped us!
      In the West, we would term metanoia as "conversion", a turning around
      or away from and repentance more as a passive regret. To the East,
      both these active and passive actions make up the whole of
      repentance. This may seem a silly distinction, but when two parties
      mean slightly different things by the same term, it is wise to clear
      up the picture!

      In that light, repentance is a turning which does not turn back. It
      is not just passive remorse, it is active and lifelong conversion.
      Ah, now our Western minds can wrap around it more easily! Repentance
      means to Eastern ears what we Benedictines would call conversion of
      manners! You don't repent once and quit, you go on and on in
      converted life.

      There might be a Western glimmer of that absolute repentance which
      continues in some fashion or other in a Spanish phrase: "De repente."
      It is used to mean suddenly, all at once, in a twinkling. However,
      (correct me, mis Latinos, if I am wrong here!) once something
      happens "de repente" a complete and total return to the prior state
      of affairs does not occur. If you fall in love "de repente" you may
      indeed later fall out of love, but you will never return to the
      condition which preceded your love, to the beloved being unknown or
      ignored. De repente is not just sudden, it is, in a real sense,
      definite: things will never the exactly the same again.

      That's why St. Benedict wants us to repent everyday. He wants us to
      never be exactly the same again! And that, beloveds, is what
      conversion of manners is all about: different and hopefully better
      each day.