Holy Rule for Feb. 8

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007

      Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Luana, for whom we
      prayed. She died at 11AM Wednesday. Her long-estranged son could not make it
      there in time. Prayers for him and all Luana's family. Prayers can mend
      things, even after death relationships can heal.

      Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias: Mary Ellen, for whom we prayed, has left
      hospice and is hospitalized. Don't have details, but perhaps our prayers have
      helped give her a bit more time. Prayers for Chenal, 20's, breast and
      cervical cancer. Was in chemo when she broke her leg in a car accident, now
      recovering from that surgery, chemo is on hold for a while. Prayers for B., newly
      returned to the Church after many years. May she be patient with herself in
      learning and re-learning her Faith. Prayers please for Bob, in critical
      condition in ICU, suffering from a serious infection. He's in septic shock and had to
      have one leg amputated. Prayers, too for his wife Theresa and their two
      young children, Olivia and George.

      Prayers for Lou Ann, complete hysterectomy on January 12, cancer was found.
      Currently she is hospitalized with a blood clot on the left lung. No chemo
      is possible until another 3 weeks passes, in other words - until complete
      healing from the surgery is accomplished. Please pray for u her and her
      husband, Ken. Prayers please for Russ, 42, suffering from cancer...prayers also for
      his family. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All
      is mercy and grace. God si never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Chapter 7: On Humility cont.
      February 8, June 9, October 9

      The eleventh degree of humility is that when a monk speaks he do so gently
      and without laughter, humbly and seriously, in few and sensible words, and
      that he be not noisy in his speech. It is written, "A wise man is known by
      the fewness of his words."

      REFLECTION

      I read this one and cringe, largely because I fail it so much. Part of my
      loudness is being 40% deaf, and while I try to control my levels of speech, I
      sometimes forget. That, however, in NO way absolves me from the wise man and
      fewness of words part, nor does it cover the sins of my tendency to make a
      big
      splash nearly every time I'm entering the pool. Face it, beloveds, for those
      at
      poolside dining on dry snacks like potato chips, those big splashes can get
      very
      old, very fast!

      I'm speaking of my own failure here, but I imagine some of it may apply to
      others' lives, too. So many wasted words, and at such volume! What is their
      purpose, what insecurities do they cover? How many times do I speak as if on
      stage and why? To show that I am cool or a big shot or clever or funny? All
      those things are ultimately lies and the person I may be trying most to
      convince
      is my pathetically false self.

      How many times do I call it teasing when another is really hurt? How many
      times do I go over the top and not even notice, because my focus is really on
      myself? Even if I am only futilely trying to overcome my own boredom by
      creating
      some excitement, the message reads frighteningly clear: I am more important,
      am a big deal, I matter more than the people or silence that make me
      uncomfortable.
      None of that is true in the sense I am modeling it. None. So why do I bother?
      Why do any of us? These are tough and excellent questions!

      There are, however, both positive and negative sides to this virtuous method
      of
      speech. Check out the "gently" part, check out the "fewness" of words, not
      their total absence. I have been at gatherings, not a few of them, alas,
      monastic, where such a tense and uneasy silence obtained that one began to
      ardently hope that someone would serve cyanide kool-aid and end the
      suffering!
      One leaves such a mess hankering for an antacid. Not what recreations are
      supposed
      to be and especially bad if they come right after a meal!

      What is behind such recreations that have all the charm of a dead string
      quartet
      is often shyness or social ineptitude, but these, too, are faults in some
      instances and must be overcome. Just as the braying fool like myself must
      rein in, others must consciously "rein out". To fail to do so is to embrace
      the
      same lie: I matter more than this situation, than these people. My feelings
      are
      paramount. Whoops! Not so. Many humble people may be reticent, but there are
      plenty of ways to be shy that are decidedly neither humble nor kind.

      The twofold key is charity and balance. There have been times when I have
      seen a
      person- even been a person- who monopolized a recreation. There have been
      other
      times when I have longed for someone to do so. It requires that mindfulness
      born of love and balance to truthfully ascertain whether a situation would
      profit more from our silence or our speaking. But the key here is "profit
      more"
      and the recipients in mind must be others, not just ourselves. Buffoonery can
      certainly annoy, but silence can also sometimes hurt: this person doesn't
      care
      about me at all, it's like I didn't even exist. Somewhere between the
      extremes
      lies love, folks, and that is our precarious goal.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2008

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Michael, 20, a soldier killed by an IED in Iraq and for all his family and all who mourn him. Prayers, too, that his funeral is not marred by protesters with signs disturbing to his family.

        Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who take care of them:

        Karen, having gastric by-pass surgery later this month. She has some blood pressure problems, so is a bit concerned about the surgery.

        Peter, who was just diagnosed with a tumor, growing in his bladder. He will have emergency surgery today for it.

        Deo gratias, Anastasia, a troubled teen we have prayed ofr, has a new job and hopefully will graduate this year from high school. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        I am a big deal, I matter more than the people or silence that make me