Holy Rule for Feb. 7

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6 6:25 PM

      Prayers for Richard's aunt, for Richard and all her family. She is going in
      for removal of lumps from her breast and there is a history of breast cancer
      in her family. Prayers for Paula, recovering from a heart attack and stents
      being put in her arteries. Prayers for Jeff, serious crisis now, long bedridden
      and paraplegic. Prayers for Steven, early 20's, killed in Iraq, and for all
      his family, especially his grandmother. Prayers for a happy death and eternal
      rest for him and for all the thousands dying there. How sadly immune we can
      become to the daily tallies of dead, of any nationality: each death rends a
      family somehow. The ripples go out in every sad direction. Let us pray for all
      whose lives have been forever changed by war.

      Prayers for Luana, dying of cancer, long estranged from one of her sons who
      has now gotten back in touch with his birth family after almost 20
      years. Prayers for all that God's will be done. Special prayers for Luana's
      happy death and eternal rest, that she may be open to getting the sacramental
      ministrations she badly needs at this time. Prayers for her son, that he may
      be able to help her do so, a great gift for them both. Prayers for Pat,
      that, if it is God's will, a long-sought job offer comes through, that all may be
      done in accord with His will and for Him. Prayers for a mother who had a
      knee replacement and her daughter who suffered from extreme fatigue and
      depression while trying to care for her. May they both continue to mend well! Lily,
      the child we have been praying for came through her surgery and is off the
      ventilator, though still likely to die of renal failure, she may, in fact, be
      able to go home, a great joy for her Mom and family. Deo gratias! Prayers for
      Elias, that he receive the gift of more silence and for his marriage annulment
      and trying to discern a vocation, also for his brother-in-law, just out of
      ICU with a serious illness, complicated by alcoholism. Prayers for Lisa who is
      going through a very difficult time right now emotionally, and for her Mom
      and all her family. Deo gratias, Scott, whose head injury we prayed about has
      had successful surgery and is in ICU. He fractured 5 thoracic vertebrae, but
      can move all his extremities, thanks be to God! His family is very grateful
      for all our prayers, keep 'em up! Lord, help us all as You know and will.
      Thanks so much. JL

      The tenth degree of humility
      is that he be not ready and quick to laugh,
      for it is written,
      "The fool lifts up his voice in laughter" (Eccles. 21:23).

      REFLECTION

      Face it, beloveds, speech and laughter have a lot in common! Both are
      often fake, insincere, nervous or empty. Both are often employed for
      no reason other than to break a silence which makes us uncomfortable.
      Both are frequently unnecessary. To the degree that both are
      sometimes false, they are destructive of truth and, therefore, of humility.

      I speak from experience as one of the big-time braying mules, all
      too ready to lift my fool's voice in laughter! People like me are
      quick to defend themselves by making the other side look dumb or
      challenged: "Oh, I can't stand someone with no sense of humor!" Well,
      the issue here is NOT having a sense of humor, all saints need that.
      It is having a hair trigger on same or, worse. It's having a
      catastrophic first strike capability to laugh when no one else does,
      to see humor where it truly does not exist, or to be silly in the
      presence of those far wiser than oneself.

      Every good monk I have ever known has laughed. The best monks,
      however, did not laugh easily. A knowing, warm smile with bright eyes
      or a discreet chuckle would have been most usual for them. They were
      not quick to laugh, nor did they roar loudly with laughter.

      There's another connection between speech and laughter here. Their
      moderate, virtuous use is connected to wisdom, which is why the person
      who rarely speaks at all is usually listened to when they do say
      something. Ditto the use of laughter. If Br. X, who laughs at
      everything, including things that aren't funny, howls in laughter,
      people don't ascribe much to the affair. On the other hand, if Br. Y,
      who is NOT given to laughter, even chuckles it is a sign that
      something is REALLY funny!

      Stupid laughter and stupid speech are both pathetic as a first
      resort. Both can stem from thinking we know something that we really
      do not, or that we can see clearly and entirely what we really see
      only partially, if that. Our ignorance in such matters may be missed
      by others, but those we live with can usually point it out, unless
      they are too polite or charitable to do so!

      Having said that about ignorance, let me jump in to defend valid
      laughter and truthful senses of humor. Merely being curmudgeonly and
      not laughing is definitely NOT the idea! That treats the symptom, not
      the cause! Joyless, cranky, unduly serious people who take
      themselves, above all, FAR too seriously, are every bit as much out
      of touch with reality as the braying mules.

      Both laughter and speech can be cruel and ought never to be for the
      Christian.
      But both can be loving and charitable, too. Surely there is no condemnation
      implied here of charity! What of the many times when a laugh or chuckle truly
      did break the ice, lighten the moment or cheer someone up. One would be hard
      pressed to claim that those charitably kind uses of laughter were forbidden.

      Humility is truth, remember that one? As Sheen observed, both the sense of
      faith
      and the sense of humor are the terribly important ability to see through
      things!
      The good monks I described who rarely laughed were not morose. They were not
      so
      because they were holy enough to know better! They were cheerful, joyful men.
      That stands in high (and pleasant!) relief to being either a crank or a
      buffoon.

      That's the issue here: being holy makes us humble, being holy makes
      us avoid extremes!

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6 8:57 AM

        Deo gratias, Scottie's knee replacement went very well and Liz's intention was answered, too.

        Jack, prostate cancer and now atrial fibrillation, in hospital, and especially for Pat, his wife and David and all their children. David and Jane just lost Jane's Dad.

        Eleanor, mid-50s who lost her husband 3 months ago, now struggling with advanced lung cancer after ovarian cancer ... and for their teenage daughter Maggie...