Candlemas and two extra prayer requests

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2007

      Prayers, please, for Sr. Carol Coston, who entered the Adrian Dominicans 52
      years ago today. Prayers, too, for Paul, depression and some tough times at
      work and at home. Thanks! JL

      Candlemas! A blessed feast of the Presentation of the Lord in the Temple to
      all.
      Candles have been associated with this feast since the time of Pope Sergius,
      in
      the 8th century. We bless all the candles we use on the altar on this day,
      before the procession, then we process into Church with lighted candles, just
      blessed. Pope Paul VI said something wonderful about the symbolism of the
      candles to ourselves and and I wanted to share it with you.

      “Christ Himself says, ‘I am the light of the world.’ And we are the light,
      we
      ourselves, if we receive it from him.... But how do we receive it, how do we
      make it shine? ... The candle tells us: by burning, and being consumed in the
      burning. A spark of fire, a ray of love, an inevitable immolation are
      celebrated
      over that pure, straight candle, as, pouring forth its gift of light, it
      exhausts itself in silent sacrifice”