Holy Rule for Feb. 1

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2007

      Prayers for Kathy, beginning her journey as an Oblate of St. Benedict.
      Prayers for Jane, worried terribly at her son's addiction, for her strength to
      trust God with all her might. Prayers, too, for Brianna Marie, a 3rd generation
      Villa Madonna student and for the two wonderful generations that preceded
      her! Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Catherine, also of Louis
      and Henry, and for all who mourn them. Prayers for all those who care for us and
      our prayer folks, whether physically, mentally or spiritually. May God guide
      and reward them richly! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will
      is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! THanks so
      much. JL

      The fourth degree of humility
      and contradictions
      and even any kind of injustice,
      For the Scripture says,
      "The one who perseveres to the end,
      and again

      And to show how those who are faithful
      8:36).
      they go on with joy to declare,
      "But in all these trials we conquer,
      "You have tested us, O God;
      You have brought us into a snare;
      it goes on to say,

      Moreover, by their patience
      in adversities and injuries:
      when forced to go a mile, they go two;

      The awful trip here is the part about holding "fast to patience with
      a silent mind." How on earth does one begin to do that? The trend in
      consumerist Western society is pretty much to form people- no, let's
      call them what consumerism does: "consumers"- in a mold that ALWAYS
      listens to very noisy minds. That, after all, is the root of desire
      and consumption (clever play on words there!) and profit. Nothing
      else matters much to a consumerist society.

      It's not surprising that living, moving and having our being in such
      waters, we more or less acquire consumerist gills in order to
      breathe. However, the Gospel itself and the Holy Rule tell
      us that we must adopt a view which contradicts that of the secular
      world. Learning to do this is neither easy nor fast.

      The really hard thing here is that sometimes, even when we are right,
      we have to put up and shut up, so to speak. The Rule speaks of
      bearing injustice and false brethren. There are no qualifiers here
      that say: "You may think it is unjust, but the truth is otherwise."

      No, sometimes we must actually endure stuff that really is unjust,
      endure people that truly are false. As one very wise old monk of
      Pluscarden once said: "Some things will only be fixed by a cross in
      the cemetery." That is frighteningly true. Some people, some
      dysfunctions will go unchecked and there are only two things one can
      do about it: leave or endure.

      This may feel like denial to us. It isn't. That's not what's asked of
      us. I may feel very clearly that a person or situation is wrong,
      nearly know it, but what is asked of me is to react in a particularly
      controlled fashion, "with a silent mind."

      Non-judging also enters in here. We must have silent minds because,
      generally speaking, we cannot be sure what is going on! Someone
      we may think is at fault for giving us the silent treatment may be in such
      pain, mental or physical, that they have all they can do to bear that. It
      may have nothing to do with us at all. We are obliged to think the best of
      others

      Jesus did say, after all, the He is the Truth. He is not calling us
      to stupidity or denial, but to trust Him. He can well afford to call
      us to silent endurance. The briefest look at Jesus in His Passion can
      affirm His rights there. There was never a greater injustice done
      than that, nor was there ever a victim so innocent and completely
      undeserving of all that brutality.

      Why is the "silent mind" such a big deal? Because you cannot get
      anywhere spiritually without one. Your focus will be shattered. The
      messy bit here is that your focus can be shattered by things
      apparently worthwhile- the devil, after all is no fool.

      We can be tricked into spinning our wheels and expending all our
      emotional and spiritual energy on dead ends that look noble, or on
      things that truly are noble, but should not absorb all of our efforts or
      attention. We can distort our necessary caring and charity into anger
      and rage at injustice that does nothing other than perpetrate anger
      and rage in more religious attire. Big mistake there!

      Recall the last time you saw a mini-flame war, perhaps only
      a "skirmish", erupt in any setting . Probably, quite early on it stooped to
      hurling charges at people, not ideas. Whoops! Wrong way, folks. The
      holiest monks I know would not have even entered into that
      discussion. They would have smiled and maybe shrugged and gone to
      their room to read or pray.

      That's not denial, that's a fair assessment that Brother David (the
      elderly monk I have in mind,) of Saint Leo would have made correctly.
      Br. David was a very, very holy nobody and he knew that. It was a very
      freeing knowledge, one I completely lacked when I first lived with
      him. In point of fact, it was that holy humility, that "nobody-ness" that
      made Br. David truly a very awesome somebody: a saint in our midst.

      At the ripe old age of 18, I thought entering into heated
      argument was the thing to do. David, quite rightly, knew that it
      would result in a night (or day) of strife and nothing would be
      changed. David knew that a nickel-dime monk in Florida was not
      going to change the Church at all by fighting with other people who
      were similarly powerless. He was humble enough to go to his room. How
      I wish I had been that smart- then or now!

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2008

        Rosy, test to rule out cancer in her throat.
        Elaine, awaiting biopsy on a lesion on her leg.
        Deo gratias for Shauntelle, her missing stepson was found before we even got to pray for him!

        Barbara Mary, surgery to remove a cancer tumor.
        LaVerne, for whom we've been praying, has to undergo another round of chemo and radiation for colon CA. He's just finishing a bout with gout.
        Brian, 25, had a stroke on Thursday. He has a disease (AVM) that causes blood vessels to form a mass in his brain. He also has a blood clot and had to undergo emergency brain surgery on Sunday. His wife is expecting their second child in July or August and has been spotting. Brian's mom and dad are simply overwhelmed and can use all the love and support we can provide.