Holy Rule for Jan. 22

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Bob, for whom we have
      prayed, who has gone home to God, also for his wife, Teri, in her bereavement.
      Prayers for Felicia, septic shock, serious infection, on ventilator in ICU with
      multiple critical medical issues. A risky option for treatment is being
      undertaken with no guarantees. Prayers, too, for Ralph, her husband and for all
      those caring for her. Prayers for David, hospitalized with severe depression,
      for his wife, Lucia and their daughter, Jessica, 12. Prayers for the happy death
      and eternal rest of Mary Jane, who died in the arms of her daughter, Carol,
      and for Carol, who faces her loss with great faith. Prayers for Lillian, on
      her birthday.

      Prayers for Ken, who took his own life, may he have embraced God's perfect
      Divine Mercy at his last instant, for his family and for all who survive and
      mourn him. Prayers for discernment for Brenna and also for her impending loss
      of her beloved dog, Vesper, who is only a week or so from death. Prayers for
      Terry, depression, in a second bad marriage, working long hours daily to
      support two children from his first marriage, he has a very full plate. Prayers
      for JM, facing a big move and a lot of heartbreak, very difficult time. Prayers
      for the wonderful medical folks of Cardiostart, a program bringing much
      needed medical care to Latin America, and for all who help them. Lord, help us
      all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

      Chapter 5: On Obedience

      The first degree of humility is obedience without delay.
      This is the virtue of those
      who hold nothing dearer to them than Christ;
      who, because of the holy service they have professed,
      and the fear of hell,
      and the glory of life everlasting,
      as soon as anything has been ordered by the Superior,
      receive it as a divine command
      and cannot suffer any delay in executing it.
      Of these the Lord says,
      "As soon as he heard, he obeyed Me" (Ps. 17:45).
      And again to teachers He says,
      "He who hears you, hears Me" (Luke 10:16).

      Such as these, therefore,
      immediately leaving their own affairs
      and forsaking their own will,
      dropping the work they were engaged on
      and leaving it unfinished,
      with the ready step of obedience
      follow up with their deeds the voice of him who commands.
      And so as it were at the same moment
      the master's command is given
      and the disciple's work is completed,
      the two things being speedily accomplished together
      in the swiftness of the fear of God
      by those who are moved
      with the desire of attaining life everlasting.
      That desire is their motive for choosing the narrow way,
      of which the Lord says,
      "Narrow is the way that leads to life" (Matt. 7:14),
      so that,
      not living according to their own choice
      nor obeying their own desires and pleasures
      but walking by another's judgment and command,
      they dwell in monasteries and desire to have an Abbot over them.
      Assuredly such as these are living up to that maxim of the Lord
      in which He says,
      "I have come not to do My own will,
      but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).

      REFLECTION

      Ever wonder what was so great about obedience? I sure have and I
      vowed it, still wondering a bit. What is so hot about dumping our own
      wills? Sometimes our wills are innocent, sometimes they're even
      downright good. Let's be truthful, sometimes our own wills seem even
      BETTER than the choices presented to us by other circumstances. What
      gives?

      Good rhetorical question, that one: what GIVES. Genuine obedience is
      a gift, to God and to all His people. Make the monastic better and
      you have made the home or monastery better, and so the neighborhood,
      the city, the state and onwards to the whole world. We forget the
      ripple effect, because we cannot clearly see it. We are not giving
      that gift to falsehood, but to truth. If we look at particle physics, it is
      very
      true that what we do with our hearts really DOES affect the whole universe.

      Our self-gift of obedience heightens truth in the world, and Jesus
      is the Truth. There is a very incarnational aspect of obedience. Like
      Mary, we are, in our own halt and lame, partial ways, birthing God.
      In our actions Christ today can become visibly human in us, in our
      tiniest drop of fresh water, the sea becomes less salty, the desert,
      less dry. No one can make the Sahara a rain forest alone, and God
      knows that, but He wants us to try, to be part of the solution, not
      the problem. Enough drops together WOULD make the Sahara bloom.

      Obedience and humility are conjoined twins which share one heart:
      both will die if they are separated. Humility, in its healthiest
      perfection, is truth and that truth births bits of God into the
      world, confetti mosaics that the wind of the Spirit can blow into
      fuller, more accurate portraits. Yes, humility is the most often
      mentioned of connections, but the root of humility is truth and the
      root of truth is God. Obedience without humility would be no
      better than a Nazi lockstep.

      All of us spend large portions of our lives carefully building a
      false self, who lives in a false world, with matching false
      imperatives. Merton speaks of this false self again and again. The
      goal of monastic struggle is to uncover and nurture the TRUE self,
      the true world view and values. We often cheerfully ignore the real
      imperatives of God and life, substituting our own and elevating them
      to a level they truthfully (literally!) do not deserve. It's a moral
      displacement activity. We fail altogether in one area, so we
      compensate by raising another. Trouble is, the other one raised is
      false. Sigh... It becomes a vicious circle.

      Give a good parent a critically ill child and you will find out
      what's true or important in a hurry. Everything gets dropped at once,
      without hesitation or care. Everything. Give a single person a really
      bad case of the flu and you will soon find imperatives pared to very
      few. (The flu or any illness is a superlative teacher: if it doesn't
      matter when you're that sick, it usually doesn't matter, period!)

      The sentiment is not mine originally, but I have often said that the
      truly neat thing about being HIV+ is that it hit me over the head
      with a 2x4 board and woke me up to a fact that is true for all of us:
      I'm gonna die. Big deal. Didn't happen when I thought it would, may
      not for a long time, I'm quite healthy, but I'm gonna die. So are
      you. Who knows when? Maybe both of us by lunch and neither of us from
      AIDS!

      See what obedience points us toward? Obedience says: here is Jesus, the
      Truth. Embrace Him now, don't wait for the threatened child or the
      ghastly flu or AIDS to scare you into appropriate action. The Truth Whom
      we only see in crisis is here all along. Keep what you have learned
      from crisis. Live it all the time. Make it a gift, because it is one
      that will enrich others AND yourself!

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2008
        +PAX

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, for all their loved ones and those who mourn them:

        Marie, elderly lady who has already gone to God.
        Helen, very near death.

        And please say a prayer for me, on the 49th anniversary of my Confirmation, and for my Dad, Jerome, whose name I took.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 21

          +PAX

          Prayers for the repose of the soul of Lillian, on her birthday, and for all who mourn her.

          Prayers for the repose of the souls of Kevin C. and Mary Lou V., and for their families and friends.

          Please pray for Jennifer, who was misdiagnosed with Lupus for 16 years. The Doctor yesterday changed her diagnosis to Wilson's Disease and as a result of going 16 years without the appropriate treatment Jennifer needs a new liver.

          Prayers for Frances, suffering without friends or family near.

          Prayers for Andrea, beginning his ministry as an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion, that he may always follow the will of God and be humble in his duties in this apostolate.

          Prayers for Willie, for discernment of how he can help more at Church and for a more spiritual Christian direction for him.

          Prayers for Abbots Raphael and Cuthbert, special intentions.

[...]

          Ever wonder what was so great about obedience? What is so hot about
[...]

          root of truth is God. Obedience without humility would be little
          better than a Nazi lockstep.

          Some of us spend large portions of our lives carefully building a
          false self, who lives in a false world, with matching false
          imperatives. Merton speaks of this false self again and again. The
          goal of monastic struggle is to uncover and nurture the TRUE self,
          the true world view and values. We often cheerfully ignore the real
          imperatives of God and life, substituting our own and elevating them
          to a level they truthfully (literally!) do not deserve. It's a moral
          displacement activity. We fail altogether in one area, so we
          compensate by raising another. Trouble is, the other one raised is
          so often false, or made false by its unjust elevation. Sigh...
          It becomes a vicious circle.

          Give a good parent a critically ill child and you will find out
          what's true or important in a hurry. Everything gets dropped at once,
          without hesitation or care. Everything. Give a single person a really
          bad case of the flu and you will soon find imperatives pared to very
          few. (The flu or any illness is a superlative teacher: if it doesn't
          matter when you're that sick, it often doesn't matter, period!)

          See what obedience points us toward? Obedience says: here is Jesus, the
          Truth. Embrace Him now, don't wait for the threatened child or the
          ghastly flu to scare you into appropriate action. The Truth Whom
          we sometimes only see in crisis is here all along. Keep what you have learned