Clarification of Jan. 19 reflection

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2007
      Someone kindly pointed out to me that the underlined passage was not too
      clear. I quite agree, alas!
      Below is an attempt to clarify what I meant. JL

      Our worst enemies and annoyances can change- they might not, but they can.
      When we give up on them, we deny them the ability to change in
      our eyes- ever. This in no way impoverishes those who push our buttons, they
      can change and grow or fail to do either quite independently of our
      perceptions. It does, however, impoverish us. It leaves our vision honed in that
      person's regard to untruth, when Jesus, our God has told us that He IS the
      Truth. It denies us a piece of divine Truth, of God. It means we are always going
      to find that our jigsaw puzzles did not come with all the pieces in the box.
      That should upset us more than it does.

      Thanks for pointing this out to me. I had no idea (until I re-read it!) how
      unclear that sentence was.

      If we deny that a person can ever change, we deny an important truth: all
      people can change, even those who annoy or hurt us the most. Insisting that a
      person will never be any better is clinging to a falsehood. The person MIGHT
      never change, sure, but to insist that we KNOW someone never will improve is a
      lie. We know nothing of the sort. Every lie diminishes our sharing in truth.
      Since Jesus said He is the Truth, we must grasp and gather every bit of truth
      that we can. To cling to a false (and uncharitable,) conviction of a
      person's perpetual inability to become better is to work against ourselves. we
      should be gathering truth, not lies.