Holy Rule for Jan. 19

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2007
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Jim and Bernice, spiritual and bodily health, and for
      their daughter, discerning a religious vocation. For the ministry of Randy, a
      permanent deacon. For Jeannette, going through a difficult divorce and seeking
      work. For Shawn and healing of relationships with his parents and his
      sister, Michele. For Melanie and her return to the Church.

      Prayers for Leigh, seriously injured in a car wreck, car caught fire, but
      she was mercifully not burned, Deo gratias. Also for her husband, Michael, and
      for the passenger in the other car who was killed, for a happy death eternal
      rest and for all who mourn the loss. Continued prayers for Nadeem and her
      parents who are ill. Prayers for five Sisters of St. Anne in Chicago, and
      especially for their frail superior. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks
      so much. JL

      Not to give way to anger.
      Not to nurse a grudge.
      Not to entertain deceit in one's heart.
      Not to give a false peace.
      Not to forsake charity.
      Not to swear, for fear of perjuring oneself.
      To utter truth from heart and mouth.
      Not to return evil for evil.
      To do no wrong to anyone, and to bear patiently wrongs done to
      oneself.
      To love one's enemies.
      Not to curse those who curse us, but rather to bless them.
      To bear persecution for justice' sake.
      Not to be proud.
      Not addicted to wine.
      Not a great eater.
      Not drowsy.
      Not lazy.
      Not a grumbler.
      Not a detractor.
      To put one's hope in God.
      To attribute to God, and not to self, whatever good one sees in
      oneself.
      But to recognize always that the evil is one's own doing, and to
      impute it to oneself.

      REFLECTION

      A beginning warning as we read these instruments of good works: don't
      focus on the few you already can more or less manage! Lots of people
      do that, carefully skimming over the ones they can't dream of doing
      or fathoming, patting themselves on the back for the stray one here
      and there they can. (E.g., "Hey, I don't murder anybody...") None of
      us could do any of these things at all without grace and mercy. It is
      all God's gift that allows us to do good. The most important
      instruments of good works are the ones we HAVEN'T mastered... yet!!

      Just a quickie on one of these: "Not to forsake charity." St. Paul
      tells us that love never gives up. There is a similarity here to the
      vow of conversion of manners: one never gives up striving for
      holiness or the vow is broken. So it is with love: if we give up, it
      is broken.

      Our worst enemies and annoyances can change- they might not, but they
      can. When we give up on them, we deny them the ability to change in
      our eyes- ever. This in no way impoverishes those who push our
      buttons, they can change and grow or fail to do either quite
      independently of our perceptions. It does, however, impoverish us. It
      leaves our vision honed in that person's regard to untruth, when
      Jesus, our God has told us that He IS the Truth. It denies us a piece
      of divine Truth, of God. It means we are always going to find that
      our jigsaw puzzles did not come with all the pieces in the box. That
      should upset us more than it does.

      One of the Dominican applications of their motto, "Veritas", Truth,
      to spirituality is to justify study by Jesus' statement that He is
      the Truth. Hence, every bit and fragment of real truth that
      Dominicans gain in their learning is like one more piece of the
      puzzle, one more shard of the shattered mirror of human consciousness
      that reflects Christ. The more we learn of truth, the more familiar
      His face will be to us when we finally see Him.

      Jesus said He was the Truth, St. John tells us God is love. The two
      are intertwined in the essence of God. They must also be wound
      together tightly in our ways of loving, forgiving and knowing each
      other.

      brjeromeleo@...

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18

        +PAX

        As the US prepares to inaugurate a new President, prayers for him and all world leaders, for all our people and for our country. May we follow the will of God, may we care for all God’s people, especially those who need it most.

        Prayers continuing for Cas and Bev, he is undergoing chemo. May it be effective. Prayers, too, for all their family.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Sr. Wilma Davis, OSB, 95, of Immaculate Conception Monastery, Ferdinand, Indiana, and for her family, her Community and for all who mourn her.

        Please pray for Kinsley, 21, she has a brain disorder. She has only developed to the age of 5 and has suffered with seizures, numerous brain shunts her entire life. This past year she has taken a turn for the worse and has not recovered. She is now in the final stages of her life. Please pray that she may be baptized, that she may see our Lord at last and rest eternally in His love. Please also pray for the consolation of her family.

[...]

        If we deny that a person can ever change, we deny an important truth: all
        people can change, even those who annoy or hurt us the most. Insisting that a
        person will never be any better is clinging to a falsehood. The person MIGHT
        never change, sure, but to insist that we KNOW someone never will improve is a
        lie. We know nothing of the sort. Every lie diminishes our sharing in truth.
        Since Jesus said He is the Truth, we must grasp and gather every bit of truth
        that we can. To cling to a false (and uncharitable,) conviction of a
        person's perpetual inability to become better is to work against ourselves. We
        should be gathering truth, not lies.

        http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/