Apr 2

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2003

      First, a recent quote from Pope John Paul II that is simply to good
      to miss!

      "...the conquest of peace at all levels is joined to conversion of
      heart and a genuine change of life."

      Much to ring a Benedictine bell or two there!! JL

      April 2, August 2, December 2
      Chapter 51: On Brethren Who Go Not Very Far Away

      A Brother who is sent out on some business
      and is expected to return to the monastery that same day
      shall not presume to eat while he is out,
      even if he is urgently requested to do so
      by any person whomsoever,
      unless he has permission from his Abbot.
      And if he acts otherwise, let him be excommunicated.

      REFLECTION

      Remember that cloistered paradise of the heart I wrote about
      yesterday? All Benedictines, monks, nuns and oblates, must cultivate
      that monastic heart. Today's chapter is an excellent example.

      Like our Christianity itself, our Benedictinism must become part of
      us, rooted in our hearts, carried with us everywhere because it is
      inseparable from us. While the issue in this chapter is keeping the
      monastic who goes outside vigilant, mindful and observant, there is a
      particular application to oblates here. This concept of carrying the
      monastery with us becomes a principal means of evangelization, of
      being leaven in the dough of the world, of being a catalyst for peace.

      Remember that the Holy Rule does teach us that the observance of some
      things becomes easier with time. Happy the day when one wakes to find
      that even the smallest part of one's Benedictine struggle has become
      one's very self, an integral part of who one is. This realization
      will likely sneak up on one and catch us quite unawares, suprised by
      joy, as it were. With God's mercy and grace, those areas will
      increase over time. More and more we actually become the monastic we
      have been striving to be. That, beloveds, is an awesome feeling of
      joy, to say nothing of considerable relief!! Truly, m'dears, we shall
      one day, with God's help, "run in the way of His commandments with
      hearts enlarged."