Holy Rule for Jan. 12

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2007

      My deepest thanks to Michael, for keeping the Holy Rule going while I was
      sick, for being the dependable and trustworthy brother he always is. Prayers for
      him and his service to us all! Thanks, too, for the many prayers you sent up
      on my behalf. I knew I was being prayed for and it was a deep consolation.
      God reward you all!!

      For those who wondered, the Sr. Clare with bladder cancer for whom we prayed
      is not our Sr. Mary Clare of Petersham, another person entirely.

      Prayers, please for K.M. who is facing some difficult vocation questions
      right now. Prayers for Dot's mother, who has been hospitalized with pneumonia.
      Also for Dot and all their family, who are very worried about her. Fr Chris
      OSB, recently lost his niece, Heather, to a brain hemorrhage. The family is
      overwhelmed with grief is an understatement. Coming so close on the death of
      their mother and father makes this especially difficult. Please keep all of
      them in your prayers and prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of
      Heather.

      J. asks prayers for two friends with cancer, may they get better news than
      what they fear and may God's will shield them in any event. Prayers for Lucia,
      total knee replacement and in hopes that the awful pain she has lived with so
      long with be relieved. Prayers for Rachel, 17, most of last 4 years in
      residential psych treatment, now deteriorating very badly, also for her clergyman
      Dad and her Mom and family. Her father feels there is a spiritual element
      involved over and above the psychiatric, so ardent prayers for her spiritual
      well-being, too. prayers, also, for the parish served by her Dad, as his upset
      affects them all. Prayers, please, for my Kate. She had some pre-cancerous
      cervical cells surgically removed a few months ago. She just went in for a pap
      test to see if everything is clear. Prayers, too, for her Mom, and for a job
      possibility her Mom has, for God's will in all! Lord, help us all as You
      know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent,
      praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Let her make no distinction of persons in the monastery.
      Let her not love one more than another,
      unless it be one whom she finds better
      in good works or in obedience.
      Let her not advance one of noble birth
      ahead of one who was formerly a slave,
      unless there be some other reasonable ground for it.
      But if the Abbess for just reason think fit to do so,
      let her advance one of any rank whatever.
      Otherwise let them keep their due places;
      because, whether slaves or free, we are all one in Christ (Gal. 3:28)
      and bear in equal burden of service
      in the army of the same Lord.
      For with God there is no respect of persons (Rom. 2:11).
      Only for one reason are we preferred in His sight:
      if we be found better than others in good works and humility.
      Therefore let the Abbess show equal love to all
      and impose the same discipline on all
      according to their deserts.

      REFLECTION

      Choosing favorites is a terribly risky business for any of us,
      parent, abbot or supervisor. Our own self-image (or lack thereof,)
      can get very tangled in this process. If we choose wrongly, it
      empowers one and strangles the rest, to one degree or another.

      Christopher Marlowe (+1593) wrote a great short poem about love at
      first sight. Ah, the tragic romantic in me LOVED that poem- at first
      sight! I dog-eared the page many years ago, to more easily find it on
      occasions such as this!

      "It lies not in our power to love or hate,
      For will in us is overruled by fate.
      When two are stripped, long ere the course begin,
      We wish that one should lose, the other win;
      And one especially do we affect
      Of two gold ingots, like in each respect:
      The reason no man knows, let it suffice
      What we behold is censured by our eyes.
      Where both deliberate, the love is slight:
      Whoever loved, that loved not at first sight?"
      (from "Hero and Leander")

      Big fan of love at first sight here. Happened to me several times.
      All of 'em were wrong. Had I looked more closely "at first sight" to
      what Marlowe was saying, even he knew that what we see "is censured
      by our eyes," another way of saying that love is blind! Of course,
      Marlowe lived in Elizabethan England. Such loves ruled by fate and
      impervious to reason were all the rage.

      That was exactly the type of love for those under us that St.
      Benedict said to avoid. The poem has an entirely different message
      when one considers that ALL our brethren and children and associates
      are gold ingots, all are stripped runners, devoid of fashion or rank.
      Marlowe may chalk the preference up to Fate, but Fate has been an
      awfully handy catch-all through the centuries.

      One can hang things on Fate that are so embarrassing one would rather
      not own up to one's complicity in them at all! Fate, however, is
      about as real as the "unseen hand" that keeps free markets so
      equitable. Both are lovely fantasies. Neither are good means of
      choice. (I have often been amused by atheist types who could deny the
      supernatural, yet believe in the "unseen hand" all the way to the
      bank... Sigh....)

      I only know of two monastic favorites who were actually loved by all
      and really were fabulous people. I have lived with (and under!) many,
      many more abbatial favorites who were not, who fooled no one but the
      abbot and were mostly resented by all. Of the families I have known I
      can rarely recall an instance where the favored child was really the
      best. In doing that memory work, however, I warmly recall a family of
      11 children where no favorites existed. They truly all were gold
      ingots. What wonderful parents they had!

      St. Benedict lived and wrote over a thousand years before Marlowe,
      but he knew well the human bent to love at first sight, to love
      without reason or rhyme. He quite rightly points out that this is one
      of the many human tendencies we have to conquer. If we don't, it will
      harm us and harm those under our care, including the favored one.

      Favoritism harms the one in charge, too. Since others can see all too
      well what the parent or boss cannot, it diminishes their trust in the
      authority figure. If she can be so glaringly wrong about this, why
      not about something else? Every person is fallible, but a careless
      superior can emphasize her own lack of brilliance by poor choices.
      This doesn't make governing or being governed any easier for anyone.

      I forgot to mention, of those many monastic favorites I have known,
      only one is still in vows. The jury is still out there anyway,
      because the fall from power has not yet come. Another fell from favor
      when his Abbot did, and he later died one of the most embittered
      alcoholic men I have ever known, but at least he persevered. (No one
      missed him, by the way.) The others all left, every single one. Get
      the picture? St. Benedict did!

    • jeromeleo@stmarysmonastery.org
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2008

        Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Fr. Philip Kaufman, OSB, of St. John's, Collegeville.

        Al, surgery for prostate cancer and kidney removal and Deo gratias for his daughter, Donna, whom we prayed for a while back, she is doing fine pot-op.

        Tim, whom we prayed for, has been discharged with his stent in place. Prayer for him and his fiancee, Audrey, as they try together to quit smoking. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL