Br. Jerome: Reflection on the Holy Rule. Jan 9

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2007

      Prayers, please, for D., who has several addictions and has
      attempted suicide. Prayers that he finds peace in his life and comes
      back to the Love of Christ. Prayers too for his mother and his
      sister as they try to connect with him and help him come to accept
      himself and
      get the help that he so desperately needs. May they accept him for
      who is is
      and not try to make him who they feel he should be. Please continue
      prayers for our good Brother Jerome for rapid return to health and
      for all at St. Mary's and St. Scholastica who are ill. Please pray
      for Sr. Clare, who might have bladder cancer. Tests are currently
      being made. PLease pray for John, who is a double amputee, who is
      having more health roblems. Pray for his family also. Please pray
      for Pat, having tests done to determine the nature of a
      uterine abnormality. It could be cancer, caused by the medication
      she has taken since she had breast cancer.

      Please bless me with prayer requests at: michael_oblate@...

      Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy
      and grace. God is

      An Abbess who is worthy to be over a monastery
      should always remember what she is called,
      and live up to the name of Superior.
      For she is believed to hold the place of Christ in the monastery,
      being called by a name of His,
      which is taken from the words of the Apostle:
      "You have received a Spirit of adoption ...,
      by virtue of which we cry, 'Abba -- Father'" (Rom. 8:15)!

      Therefore the Abbess ought not to teach or ordain or command
      anything which is against the Lord's precepts;
      on the contrary,
      her commands and her teaching
      should be a leaven of divine justice
      kneaded into the minds of her disciples.

      REFLECTION

      Folks, the abbot is a parent, so, while I am writing about abbots in
      my experience, this is also true of parents, or any authority
      position. Stick with me, you'll see what I mean in the end.

      It will no doubt come as a great relief to other cranky types like
      me to note that the leaven gently kneaded into the minds of certain
      disciples often seems to have a downright under whelming effect. A
      hallmark of us curmudgeonly types is impatience: we do not suffer
      fools gladly, the miracle is that we endure them at all. Most of all,
      we want those fools FIXED, right now, or yesterday at the latest! The
      tragedy of this is that, in assuming we can recognize fools so
      terribly well, we completely miss the fool at work in ourselves.

      That's not the only issue, though. This leaven-in-the-dough stuff
      works two ways. Throw a measure of leaven into a heap of cornmeal and
      you'll wind up with a different critter than several cups of
      buckwheat or flour would produce. For all I know, you could probably
      throw yeast into concrete and wind up with a meringue-like patio.
      Both components are essential to the change, both elements affect the
      outcome.

      Abbot and monastic, parent and child, boss and employer, all these
      are very, very intricate duets of God's mercy and grace. Neither may
      be very evident to one while in the midst of things! Time and wisdom
      and hindsight bring a different view. Beyond that, all of us change:
      the characters in the catalyst are always changing, no matter how
      subtly. God has done some awesomely loving fine-tuning here!

      God uses human means to accomplish His will, as my favorite
      professor, Dr. Jean Ronan, so often said. Ah, but the abbacy scores
      doubly on this maxim. A very human abbot is elected by a very human
      community. Most often, abbots are elected to counteract each other.

      The human community gets tired of the very human tendency of an abbot
      to stress one thing above others. Hence, tight reins are often
      replaced with loose ones and vice versa. It is also worthy of note
      that, within about three years, roughly the same number of people
      will be sorely complaining about either extreme or the lack thereof!

      Those human means which God uses are often quite firmly addicted to
      extremes. The extremes then vex a majority to the opposite extreme.
      (I know this is the Marxist dialectic and I know it is not always
      true, but it does have a kernel of application.) Usually, sometime
      after we are all so fatigued with polarization that we have briefly
      stopped watching, a median virtue ensues!

      And what about that leaven that I couldn't notice having much effect?
      Well, neither I nor anyone else knows, save the person and God. Some
      die, some leave before the effect is seen. Leaven works. It may work
      slowly, it may work in a variety of ways, but all leaven does
      something sooner or later! Faith and trust in God's Divine Mercy
      require that we have a LOT of patience with bread cast on waters in
      tremendous hope!

      A final note, much, maybe even MOST of the leavening work of grace
      and
      sanctification in our own hearts and souls takes place unnoticed, the
      silent, unsung, yet constant workings of the Divine Mercy. Usually we
      don't even realize it until a long while after its completion. One
      day we
      wake up and finally notice something is different, something is
      better in us.
      That has nothing to do with us at all: such secret works are all the
      gratuitous
      gift of the Leaven of all leavens Himself! Deo gratias!!!!