Holy Rule for Dec. 25

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2006

      A blessed Christmas to all! I took a moment to gather you all into my heart
      for First Vespers of Christmas this afternoon, and in a while I shall carry
      you all with me to Midnight Mass. Know that being in touch with all of you is
      one of the greatest gifts of my life. Let us pray for each other, that our
      lives may bring Christ's Light to others around us. Each heart is a Bethlehem, a
      Manger. We can be the ones to place Him there, in our own hearts, and those
      of others.

      Prayers, please for John, near the end of his suffering with a severe form
      of Parkinson's disease and is now having seizures, for his serenity through
      all of this, especially since this will probably be his last Christmas. Prayers
      for his happy death when God calls him, and for Catherine, his sister and
      all his family. Prayers for Ronnie, who is very ill with viral pneumonia, but
      happily at home now with visiting nurses. She had been in the hospital since
      late November and was very glad to finally get home. Prayers for all her
      nieces and nephews and all who help them care for her. Lord, help us all as You
      know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent,
      praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      April 25, August 25, December 25
      Chapter 67: On Brethren Who Are Sent on a Journey

      Let the brethren who are sent on a journey
      commend themselves
      to the prayers of all the brethren and of the Abbot;
      and always at the last prayer of the Work of God
      let a commemoration be made of all absent brethren.

      When brethren return from a journey,
      at the end of each canonical Hour of the Work of God
      on the day they return,
      let them lie prostrate on the floor of the oratory
      and beg the prayers of all
      on account of any faults
      that may have surprised them on the road,
      through the seeing or hearing of something evil,
      or through idle talk.
      And let no one presume to tell another
      whatever he may have seen or heard outside of the monastery,
      because this causes very great harm.
      But if anyone presumes to do so,
      let him undergo the punishment of the Rule.
      And let him be punished likewise who would presume
      to leave the enclosure of the monastery
      and go anywhere or do anything, however small,
      without an order from the Abbot.

      REFLECTION

      Rare is the person who can manage to stay employed without at least a
      slightly different persona at work. We are one thing there, because
      we have to be, but when we clock out, much, if not all of the work
      persona is shed. In fact, we usually have a whole repertoire of
      different selves, being one thing with our grandmother and quite
      another with a childhood friend we have known all our lives, one
      thing with the promising new date and quite another with the spouse
      of many years!

      Secular society has enlarged upon this tendency to its own ends.
      Because the tendency is so deeply rooted in us, we may fail to see
      its dangers when carried to extremes. Thanks to a society often
      glaringly unassisted by revelation, we have the unhappy concept of
      different umbrellas, different sets of ethics to cover different
      areas of life. "Hey, religion is fine if you want it, but this is
      BUSINESS!" or "I may be a Christian, but this is public service. I
      was elected by a constituency that expected me to leave some of that
      Gospel stuff at the door." Well, folks, such notions do not always
      wash well. In fact, they really don't wash at all.

      The message of the Holy Rule and of the Gospel is that there is one
      umbrella, period. There is one persona, period. Granted, in the
      latter, shades and gradations may last throughout most of our
      struggling lives, but the goal is clear. All monastic, all Christian,
      all the time. One heart, one umbrella, one Lord, one faith, one
      baptism.

      That work persona that we drop when we clock out, the totally free
      and other person we are on days off or on trips away can be an OK
      notion in relation to work. Wouldn't we find someone who was a
      salesperson or teacher or secretary or manager ALL the time to be a
      dreadful drip? The concept fails, however, when it is applied to
      vocations, to any vocation at all. One does not take a vacation from
      being married or a parent or ordained or a monastic.

      Do I hear loud screams in cyber-space as I mention BALANCE again?
      Sorry, but it is true. There is a balanced way to be under one
      umbrella all the time that we must strive to achieve. Yes, I am
      different with different friends, we all are, we have to be, charity
      demands that. But there is a commonality between all the threads of
      our behavior. We are monastics. We are freer within defined limits.
      It is to the balance of those defined limits that this chapter refers.

      At Petersham, we still follow this custom of prayer for one who will
      be away overnight. The prayers are said in the refectory, after
      grace. One is blessed leaving and returning, while kneeling in the
      center of the ref. It's just a way of saying, as a community, that we
      all know that maintaining that one umbrella can be tough, especially
      when one is away alone. We want to support each other with our
      prayers, we want our brother to know that our hearts are with him all
      the way.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 24, 2007

        A lot of prayers today, so I am basically cutting and pasting:

        Please pray for the happy death and eternal repose of Keith who was suffering with cancer of the lungs and liver and has now gone home to be with his Heavenly Father. Keith's parents have now lost the third of four sons and a daughter. Please pray for Keith's parents and for Rev. Nikki also.

        Please pray for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and alll who take care of them:
        Sabette, recovering from serious knee surgery and fighting drug reactions and seizures
        Maybelle, 98 and slowly winding down from a very active life as her aortic valve hardens; doctors cannot treat due to age
        Leslie, first Christmas since death of husband of 45 years, her first love whom she married at 16
        Shirley, multiple medical issues and being moved to nursing home and for her husband Glee realizing he cannot provide the help she needs at home any longer

        Prayers badly needed for Teresa, trapped in an increasingly dangerously abusive relationship and feeling there is no way out.

        Mark who is wrestling with depression.

        Ed who is suffering from MS and his wife Anne who is supporting him. Let them know that it is okay to ask for help.

        Polly who is suffering short term memory loss and is in an adult home.

        Bob who was involved in a serious automobile accident and is recovering.

        Rob who has left the church.

        Mike who has personal problems.

        Deb who is suffering from MS and fibromalehia.

        Fred who is fighting alcoholism.

        Mary who is suffering from several different illness brought on by aging.

        Jane who faces some tough life choices.

        All those who are alone and lost this Christmas season.

        S, who has been HIV+ since 1986, receiving Social Security disability & rent subsidy due to that, is challenging his landlord & HUD/HPD who want to evict him in January '08 from his home of nearly 30 years. And in NYC, where can he go? It's beginning to look like my living room floor!

        A young girl, whose parents have been convicted of "slavery," and are awaiting sentencing. She collapsed in court. She has juvenile diabetes. Prayers too for the accusers, who appear to be mentally ill; they believe in witches & curses, wanted someone to kill her parents by witchcraft.

        And more cheerfully, several men are investing their savings in opening a non-profit religious goods shop connected to a church, as an evangelical mission. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL