Holy Rule for Dec. 21

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006

      Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Barbara, whom we prayed for yesterday:
      her surgeon's appointment has been moved up to Christmas week! Barbara
      observed in her post that prayer sure works fast! Prayers for Tom, very painful
      and severe sinus infections and problems which trigger migraines. Scheduled for
      surgery in Christmas week, but will have to get better to be able to have
      the operation. Prayers for Joan, mother of four small children, lung cancer,
      and for all her family, especially Evelyn, her Mom. Evelyn has already lost two
      sons, so this would be her third loss of a child and it is devastating to
      her. Prayers for Tom's Mom, Barbara, having eye surgery tomorrow. Prayers for
      Patty, and for her Mom's happy death and eternal rest. We prayed for Patty
      seven months ago, when she lost her husband, now she is burying her Mom just
      before Christmas. She has no children, just siblings, so she is quite alone in
      many ways. Prayers for Luana, possibly dying from kidney failure, and for Rob,
      her son, and all their family.

      Sr. Lany Jo's sister-in-law, Lolita, is being buried today. Robert, her
      husband, asks special prayers for the safety of the many folks traveling from
      great distances to her funeral, for the safe journeys coming and going. Prayers
      for the happy death and eternal rest of Maura, who died this morning, and
      prayers for her son, Rodger and her daughters. Prayers for all who have lost
      loved ones so close to the holidays, the challenge of getting through a
      celebrating world when one's own heart is breaking is not slight. Prayers for 3
      friends of one of our readers. One is facing a medical exam and needs reassurance,
      the other two, both 52 and both husbands and fathers have serious illnesses:
      one of them has cancer and the other has severe dementia praecox, unable to
      speak and barely recognizing people. Prayers for their families, too, and for
      their friends who want to help. Lord, help us all as You know and will.
      Thanks so much. JL

      April 21, August 21, December 21
      Chapter 64: On Constituting an Abbess

      Once she has been constituted,
      let the Abbess always bear in mind
      what a burden she has undertaken
      and to whom she will have to give an account of her stewardship,
      and let her know that her duty is rather to profit her sisters
      than to preside over them.
      She must therefore be learned in the divine law,
      that she may have a treasure of knowledge
      from which to bring forth new things and old.
      She must be chaste, sober and merciful.
      Let her exalt mercy above judgment,
      that she herself may obtain mercy.
      She should hate vices;
      she should love the sisterhood.

      In administering correction
      she should act prudently and not go to excess,
      lest in seeking too eagerly to scrape off the rust
      she break the vessel.
      Let her keep her own frailty ever before her eyes
      and remember that the bruised reed must not be broken.
      By this we do not mean that she should allow vices to grow;
      on the contrary, as we have already said,
      she should eradicate them prudently and with charity,
      in the way which may seem best in each case.
      Let her study rather to be loved than to be feared.

      Let her not be excitable and worried,
      nor exacting and headstrong,
      nor jealous and over-suspicious;
      for then she is never at rest.

      In her commands let her be prudent and considerate;
      and whether the work which she enjoins
      concerns God or the world,
      let her be discreet and moderate,
      bearing in mind the discretion of holy Jacob, who said,
      "If I cause my flocks to be overdriven,
      they will all die in one day."
      Taking this, then, and other examples of discretion,
      the mother of virtues,
      let her so temper all things
      that the strong may have something to strive after,
      and the weak may not fall back in dismay.

      And especially let her keep this Rule in all its details,
      so that after a good ministry
      she may hear from the Lord what the good servant heard
      who gave the fellow-servants wheat in due season:
      "Indeed, I tell you, he will set that one over all his goods" (Matt.
      24:27).

      REFLECTION

      Anyone reading this would perhaps quite rightly think: "Wow!
      That's a tall order to fill!" They would, of course, be right.

      Now for the clincher: this is not just a model for Abbots, but for
      all of us with any authority, in fact, for all of us period. This is
      the way Benedictines should treat others, seniors, juniors, all
      people. This Christ-like attitude ought to pervade every parent,
      teacher, boss, nurse and grocery clerk, all of us. For every one of
      us the model here is exquisite. Read it over and over and etch it
      into your very heart. This is St. Benedict at his best!

      Pay particular attention to the deceptively short paragraph about
      not being "excitable and worried," along with its other cautions. Its
      warning that such things mean we shall never be at rest is a very
      important one. Without such, rest, without a certain level of serenity
      and peace, the spiritual journey is very, very tough going, indeed.
      We badly need that restful serenity to focus on Christ and the tasks
      of our souls at hand.

      "Now THAT," he said in an unusually short reflection, "is a REALLY
      tall order!" Sure is! You can only do it with grace, with prayer and
      God's all-merciful help.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2007

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, and for all who mourn them:

        Irene

        Adele

        Prayers, please for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their families and all who take care of their needs:

        Paul and Mary, whose 10 year old Lab, Java, seems to have metastasizing cancer.

        Ryan, 17, hard drug addictions, arrested and hopefully will get into a treatment facility for teens, rather than jail for 6 months, and for George, trying to help him.

        Sr. Mary Stella, hospitalized, perhaps for the last time, for a happy death if God calls her this time and for her eternal rest.

        A church choir member being made very sick by her vertigo. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL