Holy Rule for Dec. 20

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2006

      Prayers, please, for Barbara, lumps in her breast and armpit, referred to a
      surgeon, but a 2 weeks wait; many of us know how hard that waiting can
      be!Prayers, too, for Bob whose heart catheterization failed today and who is facing
      open heart surgery, and his worried wife Marsha. For Jean, tear in her knee
      but slow resolution and response from her current doctors. Prayers for
      Polly, that she may see Christ in those who are troubling her and not sink into
      gossip and murmuring. Prayer for Samantha, who has had her liver transplant and
      now has a month in the hospital, with another 5-6 months recovery at home,
      and for all her family. Prayers for the congregations of The Falls Church,
      Truro Church, Potomac Falls, All Saints, the Church of the Apostles, and St.
      Margaret's who voted to sever ties with the Episcopal Church USA, that the Holy
      Spirit may guide them through this difficult time.

      Prayers for all those mentally ill who suffer so much more at this time of
      year. For many, it is the toughest time to get through and they need all our
      help. Something special to reflect on with ALL our prayers for each other is
      St. Paul's injunction: "Bear one another's burdens and so you shall fulfill the
      law of Christ." We really do that when we pray for others. We bear the
      burdens of those we have never met, will never meet until heaven. In doing so, we
      become, in the Father's eyes, more perfect images of Jesus, the Word, Who
      bore the burdens of us all. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and

      Chapter 64: On Constituting an Abbess

      In the constituting of an Abbess
      let this plan always be followed,
      that the office be conferred on the one who is chosen
      either by the whole community unanimously in the fear of God
      or else by a part of the community, however small,
      if its counsel is more wholesome.

      Merit of life and wisdom of doctrine
      should determine the choice of the one to be constituted,
      even if she be the last of the order of the community.

      But if (which God forbid)
      the whole community should agree to choose a person
      who will acquiesce in their vices,
      and if those vices somehow become known to the Bishop
      to whose diocese the place belongs,
      or to the Abbots, Abbesses or the faithful of the vicinity,
      let them prevent the success of this conspiracy of the wicked,
      and set a worthy steward over the house of God.
      They may be sure
      that they will receive a good reward for this action
      if they do it with a pure intention and out of zeal for God;
      as, on the contrary, they will sin if they fail to do it.

      REFLECTION

      Monasteries can forget sometimes that they are not their own, one of
      the unavoidable risks of Benedictine autonomy. While it was usual, in
      St. Benedict's day, for monasteries to be under their local bishop
      (and still is usual in the East today,) St. Benedict says something
      even more telling. The local laity should intervene if the monastery
      conspires to elect a loser! Now THAT is going a long way!

      Monasteries become dear to those around them, and a sense of
      ownership for their local monastery arises in many hearts. St.
      Benedict actually endorses that. The monk is not his own, but neither
      is the whole community. We belong to the Church, we belong to our own
      locale, we belong to the people in a very special way. It entitles
      them to warn us that we may have gone amiss and it obliges us to
      always recall that our monasteries have ripple effects!

      Many of us in the workplace or school, some of us even in marriage,
      are forced to deal with people who were NOT chosen for their "merit
      of life and wisdom of doctrine." That can be very tough, but grace
      and the Holy Rule are there to strengthen us.

      The single most important thing the one governed can do to thwart bad
      government is NOT to mirror the behavior which is at fault. Two
      wrongs can never make a right. All too often, for whatever reason,
      people push our buttons and get exactly the sick response from us
      that they sickly need. Try not to let that happen. Put a control on
      your buttons. Never stoop to the level that annoys you, and believe
      me, that stooping is easy to do. It is even commonly (the adjective
      here is no accidental choice!!) done.

      Hard and perennial truth, but most of the things which annoy us most
      in others are our own sins, in one form or another. We are rarely so
      vigilant or crusading about other matters. We might reflect those
      faults in different areas, in different ways, but this can only help
      us in denial. Look, look very carefully at the person who makes you
      the most angry. Most of us will not have to look honestly for very
      long to see why we are affected strongly.

      On another note entirely, for Oblates who are single and dating, what
      about using the criteria given for an Abbess for checking out a mate?
      Granted the pickings might be slim, but we should always look to
      people who are good, who will help us grow spiritually as potential
      partners. This age, when so many are unchurched, may have convinced
      many single folks that spirituality is something they can do alone,
      without their partners. Well, sometimes it is, to be sure, but it is
      a harder road. Indifference is one thing, but if a partner is
      downright opposed, it can be a VERY hard road.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 2007

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, and for all who mourn them:

        Duncan's brother Dana passed away unexpectedly this AM.

        Olive who died during a heart operation and for her family.
        Sally who died after a long illness and her Husband Doug who misses her very much.

        Prayers for the spiritual, metnal and physical health of the following and for all their loved ones,and all who take care of them:

        Ed who is suffering from MS.

        Devin and Chelsie.
        Chelsie is 10 1/2 weeks pregnant and at the ultra sound today their baby has a cardiac
        and chromosonal abnormality and will not make it past 20 weeks gestation.

        Bernice who has just finished chemo therapy.

        Mrs. Saleem, Mrs. Feroze, Mary Fia, Marthaan, Zareena, Bota Masih and Younis Masih.

        Those who are alone and feel abandoned this holiday season.

        Please pray for renewal, vitality, and affection in the marriage of E. and C.

        Please pray that K. will return to the faith.

        Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. ALl is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        April 20, August 20, December 20