Br. Jerome: Reflection on the Holy Rule. Dec 3

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2006

      Please bless me with your "Prayer Requests" at:
      michael_oblate@...

      +Please pray for Rev. Charles Kaldahl for healing from cancer. Deo
      Gratias! In thanksgiving for our Holy Father's safe journey to and
      from Turkey and in thanksgiving for Brother Jerome. +Prayers please
      for J. and S. who are in the process of separating.and for their two
      children. May God save their marriage. +Please pray for the repose
      of Eddie Gawne who died yesterday. Please remember him, his wife
      Peggy and his boys in the charity of your prayers. +Prayers please
      for safe travel for Liz, and their 4 children (8,8,6 & 5) who are
      driving from Iowa to join Matt at his new job in North Carolina .
      They have been apart for 8 weeks and everyone is looking forward to
      being back together. +Deo Gratias! Thanks to all the faithful prayer
      partners Joseph R., for whom we prayed, will be discharged from the
      hospital in a few days and begin therapy. +Deo Gratias! Al's
      daughter, Donna, is making a wonderful recovery. As a matter of
      fact, she was able to work several hours this past week. God is
      faithful and good. +Prayers please, for Samantha G. who is in the
      Hospital, awaiting a Liver Transplant.(There is some confusion on my
      part as to the date of this request. I received it today but it was
      date stamped 11/29. Rest assured God will know since He is outside
      of time....michael). +Please pray for B. in desperate financial
      straights. Present expences were heavy but now old debts that B.
      thought were gone are demanding payments and the situation is
      becoming overwhelming. + Please pray for Linda diagnosed with skin
      cancer 4 weeks ago. Many treatments ahead but a good prognosis.+

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those souls who
      have taken their own lives. Lord, help them as You know and will.
      God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him!
      Thanks so much. JL

      April 3, August 3, December 3

      Chapter 52: On the Oratory of the Monastery

      Let the oratory be what it is called, a place of prayer;
      and let nothing else be done there or kept there.
      When the Work of God is ended,
      let all go out in perfect silence,
      and let reverence for God be observed,
      so that any sister who may wish to pray privately
      will not be hindered by another's misconduct.
      And at other times also,
      if anyone should want to pray by herself,
      let her go in simply and pray,
      not in a loud voice but with tears and fervor of heart.
      She who does not say her prayers in this way, therefore,
      shall not be permitted to remain in the oratory
      when the Work of God is ended,
      lest another be hindered, as we have said.

      REFLECTION

      "...let nothing else be done there or kept there." Don't think for a
      moment this refers to only furniture, storage or other activities. It
      refers to our hearts, too. We must be terribly careful of what we
      take into the oratory, what we carry in our hearts, because it not
      only colors our prayer, but often the prayer of those around us as
      well.

      Even half-aware people who live together for years can spot
      trouble immediately. They may not know what is wrong, but they are
      themselves disquieted by it. Often one never finds out what is
      troubling another, so one just prays for them. But the empathy, the
      sympathy that moves one to do so by observation has colored the
      oratory experience ever so slightly from one of untrammeled peace.

      Sometimes we honestly cannot help what we carry in our hearts. I know
      that all too well. There have been times when I could scarcely calm
      the cacophonic roar of anxiety and hurt. For me, as I am sure for
      some
      others, too, it is all but impossible to pray at such times, through
      no fault of our own. So long as we do not will such distraction, our
      prayer
      remains intact. Involuntary distractions are crosses to be borne with
      patience, not sins we should become despondent about. Despondency
      is a far greater enemy of the spiritual life than distracted prayer!

      Do your best to stay focused, if you cannot, offer that to God, too,
      and
      rejoice that you have been humbled by it. Depressives and others
      with certain mental illnesses should recall that inability to
      concentrate
      is often part of the disease, not our fault at all. If a cut bleeds,
      do we
      feel guilty? Of course not. Many of us who suffer from such things
      are
      already far too prone to beat ourselves up. Don't let distractions
      at prayer
      that you didn't want and couldn't help be a reason for that.

      I resolve to be a bit more careful to try to empty my heart whenever
      I can, but I sometimes cannot. Nothing seems clear or right. So I
      just say: "Look, maybe what I am offering You really is nothing at
      all, maybe I shouldn't even dare. If it is nothing, please forgive
      me. If it's not, please take it for whatever it is worth." Sometimes
      that's the best we can do.