Holy Rule for Nov. 5

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2006
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for my Dad, Jerome Hughes, who would have been 94 today,
      for his happy death and eternal rest.

      Prayers, please for Wayne, birthday anniversary. Passed away in 1994 at 48,
      a single man and for his sister and all his family. May God bring him and all
      souls to be happy with Him in heaven. Prayers for John, struggling with
      heroin and alcohol addictions. For the repose of the soul of Br. Rafael, FSC. He
      was stationed in the Philippines. He drowned on November 1st while on holiday
      celebrating his Golden Jubilee as a Christian Brother. Prayers also for all
      of his family members, especially those who are traveling to the Philippines
      for the funeral. Prayers for Margie, who has been laid off from work. Also
      for Valerie, lump in breast, extensive family history of breast cancer, and for
      her mother, Gerri. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is merctand grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 6, July 6, November 5
      Chapter 29: Whether Brethren Who Leave the Monastery Should Be
      Received Again

      If a brother
      who through his own fault leaves the monastery
      should wish to return,
      let him first promise full reparation for his having gone away;
      and then let him be received in the lowest place,
      as a test of his humility.
      And if he should leave again,
      let him be taken back again,
      and so a third time;
      but he should understand that after this
      all way of return is denied him.

      REFLECTION

      There are variant readings of the first line of this chapter among
      manuscripts. Some authorities accept the additional phrase "or is
      expelled", though the RB1980 translation does not. As with so many
      things this ancient, it is hard to tell who is right (and sometimes,
      if that matters!) I checked in the library downstairs, but I can't
      find our autographed first edition of the Holy Rule anywhere... LOL!

      However, let's err on the side of mercy if we are to err at all.
      Since most modern translations omit the phrase, let's take a look at
      the other possibility: what if it really was what St. Benedict had in
      mind?

      If so, it reveals a mercy and love and tenderness beyond anything we
      have ever seen in the Holy Rule. If, even after all the hassle that
      can occur before one actually gets thrown out one could STILL be
      forgiven, and up to three times, that is verging on divine mercy to
      say the least. Still, it is a very consistent reading with the penal
      code that precedes it. If the only reason for Benedictine punishment
      is reform and conversion, then even the ultimate punishment of
      expulsion ought to have a hook of possible conversion to it.

      From this perspective, let us look at ourselves for a moment. How do
      we "punish" people or banish them from our lives and hearts? I use
      quotes around "punish" to stress the lunacy that very often
      such "punishments" harm no one but ourselves. We decide, once and for
      all that this or that person has had it. End of story. Well, if one
      reads the Holy Rule carefully, there MAY be an "end of story" point
      for Benedictines, but it does not come as often or as early or as
      readily as some of us might think and we must be saddened if
      it does come!

      Face it, a lot of us think of punishment as about us, not the
      offender. It is OUR "justice" that gets fed, that makes demands, that
      says we are done with the problem person. Whoa! If God's ideas are
      anything like that (and we daily ask Him to use our standards of
      mercy in the Our Father,) we are in deep, deep trouble. Our
      punishments must have an eye to reform, not revenge, to conversion,
      not conclusion. Permanent rifts, as even the Rule allows, may
      sometimes occur, but our attitude then should be sadness, not joy.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2016

        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of my Dad, Jerome Hughes, on his birthday. He died in 1960, but we should never forget our departed dear ones.

        Prayers for Geraldine, having so health issues.

        Prayers for Richard V., severe alcoholism, possibly heading for suicide by drink, doesn’t trust doctors to treat him. Prayers, too, for his wife and small daughter and all their family.

        Deo gratias, little Damian, 2 ½ months old, came through his surgery well. Continued prayers for his recovery and healing and for his parents and family.

        Prayers for Ralph, that he forgive and reconcile with his family after many years of estrangement.

[...]

        be forgiven, and up to three times, that is very great mercy
        to say the least. Still, it is a very consistent reading with the
        penal code that precedes it. If the only reason for Benedictine
        punishment is reform and conversion, then even the ultimate
        punishment of expulsion might have a hook of possible conversion
        to it.

        From this perspective, let us look at ourselves for a moment. How
        do we "punish" people or banish them from our lives and hearts? I
        use quotes around "punish" to stress the lunacy that very often
        such "punishments" harm no one but ourselves. We decide, once and
        for all that this or that person has had it. End of story. Well, if
        one reads the Holy Rule carefully, there MAY be an "end of story"
        point for Benedictines, but it does not come as often or as early
        or as readily as some of us might think and we must be saddened if
        it does come! But even at that last point, we must still pray for them.

        Face it, a lot of us think of punishment is about us, not the
        offender. It is OUR "justice" that gets fed, that makes demands,
        that says we are done with the problem person. Whoa! If God's ideas
        are anything like that (and we daily ask Him to use our standards of
        mercy in the Our Father,) we are in deep, deep trouble. Our
        punishments must have an eye to reform, not revenge, to conversion,
        not conclusion. Permanent rifts, as even the Rule allows, may
        sometimes occur, but our attitude then should be sadness, not joy.
        And always, always and everywhere, we must pray for such people. Never give
        up on prayer for them.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2017

          +PAX

          Prayers for the eternal rest of my Dad, Jerome Hughes, on his birthday, and for all who mourn him.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Bob McD., for whom we prayed, and for his Community, family, and all who mourn him, especially Fr. Jamie.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Carmen, on her 2nd death anniversary, and for her daughter and all who mourn her.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Greg D., and for his family and all who mourn him.

          Please pray daily for the Holy Souls, all of November is especially dedicated to prayer for them.

          Prayers for Maureen, that her health be restored.

          Prayers for our president and all our leaders, prayers for all of us.

          Prayers for Belinda, diagnosed with glioblastoma, an aggressive brain cancer, and given a prognosis of 15 months. Prayers, too, for her daughter, Stephanie, and all their family.

[...]

          From this perspective, let us look at ourselves for a moment. How