Holy Rule for Nov. 4

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for a young mother, G., pregnant with her 4th child. She
      has problems and is very worried, lost her last baby thru a miscarriage. She
      has 3 little boys. Please keep her in your prayers. Also, for her father who
      has all the symptoms of a mild stroke. Prayers for Curtis, and Miriam, his
      Mom, special intention. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much.
      JL

      Chapter 28: On Those Who Will Not Amend after Repeated Corrections

      If a sister who has been frequently corrected for some fault,
      and even excommunicated,
      does not amend,
      let a harsher correction be applied,
      that is, let the punishment of the rod be administered.

      But if she still does not reform
      or perhaps (which God forbid)
      even rises up in pride and wants to defend her conduct,
      then let the Abbess do what a wise physician would do.
      Having used applications,
      the ointments of exhortation,
      the medicines of the Holy Scriptures,
      finally the cautery of excommunication
      and of the strokes of the rod,
      if she sees that her efforts are of no avail,
      let her apply a still greater remedy,
      her own prayers and those of all the others,
      that the Lord, who can do all things
      may restore health to the sister who is sick.

      But if she is not healed even in this way,
      then let the Abbess use the knife of amputation,
      according to the Apostle's words,
      "Expel the evil one from your midst" (1 Cor. 5:13),
      and again,
      "If the faithless one departs, let her depart" (1 Cor. 7:15)
      lest one diseased sheep contaminate the whole flock.

      REFLECTION

      The Holy Rule and its author, St. Benedict, are tremendously kind,
      insisting that we go all the way we possibly can and even a bit
      beyond with the erring. All that love and care and sorely tried
      patience is absolutely necessary before this point, "the knife of
      amputation," is reached. This, too, is a great and important part of
      mercy, though we may not easily see that at first.

      It is tremendously unkind, unloving and unmerciful to hang onto a
      person to whom we can no longer offer hope of treatment or genuine
      help. It is cruel to continue behavior which can no longer help, which
      can only further enable the sufferer's pain, leaving its causes quite
      untouched. There are times when such played out relationships become
      terribly toxic to the sufferer and to all concerned.

      There are times when nothing is left but, as AA would put it, to let that
      person
      hit bottom. Even that may or may not work, but we sometimes have nothing
      else to apply. To continue forbearance at such a time is merely to
      enable, to actually participate in the person's self-destruction. Al Anon
      could tell you a lot about the wisdom of enabling.

      This is so hard for us, to finally, seemingly "give up" on someone.
      In truth, we never do that. We still pray, we must, but we must also
      have the humility to admit that we no longer can be of useful help, that
      we are even likely to harm further by enabling. That is an affront to
      our natural pride: we OUGHT to be able to heal ANYTHING, ANYONE...
      Sigh... But we aren't. We are also wounded, also imperfect, little
      better or capable than the poor sufferer for whom we erroneously
      think we can be a healing god from the sky.

      St. Benedict is NOT saying to give up on the person- I still pray
      for people who left decades ago and probably should have done so. I
      have no idea where they are or what they're doing, but I do know the
      monastery didn't seem to be the place that was most helpful to them,
      nor were they particularly a gift to the community.

      What St. Benedict is saying is that we must have the wisdom and
      humility to finally stop trying things that don't work, for the good
      of all concerned, including ourselves. When this point is reached, no
      one can help but God. He can always do so, but to wait for Him to do
      it in a situation already mired beyond hope in dysfunction is not a
      great notion. Fix what you can, stop making it worse by enabling and
      pray for the rest.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2016

        +PAX

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Rod C., former teacher and headmaster. who gave his life to preserve the Catholic identity of an institution committed to quality education during a period of dramatic cultural change. Prayers, too, for all his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for police officers killed in Iowa, Justin Martin and Anthony Beminio, and for their families and all who mourn them. Prayers, too, for the suspect who has been arrested and for whoever else might be responsible, that they may repent and be converted.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Chris, a young man who was killed in a car accident, and for all his family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Joyce W., who died suddenly of a heart attack, and for all her family and all who mourn her.

        Prayers for Joe, having a CAT Scan, and for strength for his wife, Clare, who is worried about him.

        Prayers for Cecile, having surgery, and for her worried husband Ron, for strength to support her through this.

        Nov. 4
[...]

        them, nor did they seem to be a gift to the community.