Holy Rule for Oct. 29

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2006

      Prayers for our superior, Abbot Anselm, flying home tonight from the UK, for
      a safe and uneventful trip, and for me, driving to pick him up.

      Prayers for Anastasia, troubled teen we have prayed for in the past. She is
      doing quite well now, but she and her parents face some difficult decisions
      about her future and continued treatment. Prayers for Grand-Jean, 54, who has
      died of cancer, for his happy death and eternal rest and for all who mourn
      him. His family ( to which he tried to restore peace,) has a long history of
      serious discord, even threatening violence to his widow. Prayers for all in this
      very tense situation. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so
      much. JL

      February 28, June 29, October 29
      Chapter 22: How the Sisters Are to Sleep

      Let each one sleep in a separate bed.
      Let them receive bedding suitable to their manner of life,
      according to the Abbess's directions.
      If possible let all sleep in one place;
      but if the number does not allow this,
      let them take their rest by tens or twenties
      with the seniors who have charge of them.

      A candle shall be kept burning in the room until morning.

      Let them sleep clothed and girded with belts or cords --
      but not with their knives at their sides,
      lest they cut themselves in their sleep --
      and thus be always ready to rise without delay
      when the signal is given
      and hasten to be before one another at the Work of God,
      yet with all gravity and decorum.

      The younger shall not have beds next to one another,
      but among those of the older ones.

      When they rise for the Work of God
      let them gently encourage one another,
      that the drowsy may have no excuse.

      REFLECTION

      Hastening "yet will all gravity and decorum" has prompted many a
      community joke, many a wry comment as one ran most ungracefully,
      parts of the habit flapping wildly in the breeze, to whatever the
      bell was about to make one late for! St. Benedict far antedates the
      Three Stooges, but he still took precautions to ensure that we would
      not look EXACTLY like Moe, Larry and Curly when we went to choir or
      dinner! Admittedly, some of our human tendency still arises to give a
      partial glimpse of that comedic trio, but, as always, the picture is
      balanced!

      The idea of sexual temptations being thwarted by a lamp burning and
      fully clothed juniors interspersed among seniors is germane here,
      but there is also another very pragmatic rationale. First off, the
      young, even in monasteries, tend to giggle. No point in turning grand
      silence into a noisy slumber party!

      Even more importantly, the elderly may have problems during the night
      if their health is declining. Hale and hearty (and hopefully easily
      awakened!) juniors nearby promise them assistance, if needed.
      However, if you want a humorous take on the knives issue, it may have
      been to prevent mayhem and murder of the snorers, an idea which has
      doubtlessly occurred to many light sleepers!

      Of course, dormitory sleeping is a thing of the past in our Order
      today, but its nice to see the thoughtfulness behind its original
      expression in the Holy Rule. There's a bit of the "mother" in St.
      Benedict, going out of his way to mention a small detail like not
      sleeping with knives. It is worthy of note, however, that St.
      Benedict, as always is MODERATELY maternal, not neurotically so! He
      doesn't get all bent out of shape, but he cares greatly and deeply.

      One of the most beautiful images in this passage is the exhortation
      to "gently encourage one another" at the hour of rising. Remember
      that the strictest silence of all prevailed at this time. Now picture
      the monastics gently encouraging one another! With no words, there
      had to be a lot of touch, a lot of gentle smiles, a lot of warmth and
      care expressed NON-verbally.

      There is a particularly good suggestion for Oblates: practice showing
      non-verbal affection some time! Try to express your care, concern and
      camaraderie for those around you with smiles, winks, pats on the back
      and such. Not ALL the time, but hone this skill. A wordless message of
      praise or solidarity or love can be treasured by another, often much more
      than what we might have said.

      A very good idea of how loving a monastic is can be had by disturbing
      their silence (or sleep, I imagine!!) Is the reaction cross and
      withering? Watch out for that one! Is there a smile, even a warm one,
      a reaction of sweetness? Well, when silence is over, that is a
      monastic to whose words you may want to listen carefully.

      One species of Australian eucalyptus keeps the ground around itself
      clear by emitting a toxic substance that renders other growth
      impossible. Sad to say, but sometimes monastics in community (or in
      families, or in workplaces!) can engage in a very similar toxicity.
      There is a terrible facial message that says: "Don't even come near
      me- with anything at all!" We need to watch ourselves carefully for
      that one.

      Everyone has bad days, now and then. Good communities and good
      families know how to spot them in each other. If, however, those
      days get strung together for some time and fairly often, something is
      very, very wrong. Either the monastic doesn't belong in community or
      they do belong in treatment. The monastic life, in cloister or
      marketplace, is not the proper arena for eucalyptus toxicity!