Holy Rule for Oct. 25

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 2006
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Jim, trying to discern a possible monastic vocation,
      wondering what God wants for him. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest
      of Fr. John Richard Troop, 69, who died unexpectedly and is deeply mourned by
      his parish and many who loved him. Those so inclined might want to offer a
      Divine Mercy Chaplet for him, as his friend Sue asked. It is such a powerful
      prayer for the dying.

      Prayers for someone having cataract surgery on one eye today, Wednesday, and
      the other eye will be done next week, on Thursday. May God guide the
      surgeon's hand- and may He guide the hands and hearts of all who care for us and our
      prayer folks spiritually or physically. Dawn asks prayers for adults in
      RCIA, for understanding, persistence and grace in their coming home to the
      church. May they all be filled with trust in God and love for Him and deep faith in
      His Divine Mercy and Sacred Heart! Lord, help us all as You know and will.
      Thanks so much. JL

      The order of psalmody for the day Hours being thus arranged,
      let all the remaining Psalms be equally distributed
      among the seven Night Offices
      by dividing the longer Psalms among them
      and assigning twelve Psalms to each night.

      We strongly recommend, however,
      that if this distribution of the Psalms is displeasing to anyone,
      she should arrange them otherwise,
      in whatever way she considers better,
      but taking care in any case
      that the Psalter with its full number of 150 Psalms
      be chanted every week
      and begun again every Sunday at the Night Office.
      For those monastics show themselves too lazy
      in the service to which they are vowed,
      who chant less than the Psalter with the customary canticles
      in the course of a week,
      whereas we read that our holy Fathers
      strenuously fulfilled that task in a single day.
      May we, lukewarm that we are, perform it at least in a whole week!

      REFLECTION

      I am going to begin this by reprinting two paragraphs of very
      important qualifications from the last post on this chapter, in
      February.

      "I hasten to add a word of caution to Oblates here: the Holy Rule is
      referring to choral Office in monasteries. To undertake for oneself
      such an Office could well be unwise, and sometimes, even wrong. The
      conditions of one's state in life come first. Oblates who are parents
      or married have kept Vigils and Nocturns with sick children or
      spouses of which professed monastics would never dream. Don't get
      hung up on this one. SHARE the Office all you can, but tend first to
      the responsibilities of your state in life.

      Before I became a monk I used to OCCASIONALLY do all 150 Psalms
      alone. There were two things worthy of mention here: I was a single
      man with one (very loving!) cat, and I recited them. Even at that, I
      can assure you it took up a chunk of time. Hence, Oblates should take
      great care that they don't obsess on this notion. Do what you can and
      rest assured that your community, and the Order and the whole praying
      Church is "making up" whatever you can't offer."

      A couple of years ago, the guesthouse well died (temporarily, thanks
      be to God!) We had to gather 10 gallon plastic buckets for each
      bathroom, haul them down the hill to the monastery in the station
      wagon, fill them and bring them back. What a hassle! We also had to
      caution the guests rather indelicately about no unnecessary
      flushes. Even more recently, a storm left us without electricity for several
      hours. Afraid to open the fridge too much and with no oven, we
      ordered pizza in Athol for the guesthouse.

      Both of these things were tough, but neither were anything compared
      to the amount of labor required to maintain life in the first
      centuries of the Order's existence. Neither were there lay brothers to do
      all that work in those days, since they were a much later development.
      No electricity, no indoor plumbing, no running water, no phones, no Athol
      House of Pizza to call and no car to pick it up in. (OK aqueducts in some
      places, but you get the picture...) In the midst of a life that we would
      find
      crushingly different, St. Benedict insisted on the weekly 150. Hmmmm......

      We live in a world where countless labor-saving devices and perks
      give us far more time than anyone in history has ever had. Are we
      always good stewards of that abundance? Heaven knows, I don't want to
      give up those modern advantages, look at how hooked on computers I
      am. But what do we do with all that time? How much of the time we
      save goes to prayer? How much goes to mindless stuff we could well do
      without?

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 24, 2016

        +PAX

        Prayers for my Elaine and Mary, both lost husbands earlier this year after many years of marriage. Both are struggling to overcome the grief.  Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of their husbands, and for all their families and all who mourn them.

        Prayers for Ginger, struggling for over a month with intense pain in the knee. Recovery is very slow.

        Prayers for Brian, inflammation in the shoulder, but unable to take anti-inflammatory drugs as they conflict with his blood thinner medication. Forced to wait until it gets better on its own.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Dave, and for his wife and family and all who mourn him, especially Jessie.

[...]

        Several years ago, the guesthouse well died (temporarily,