Holy Rule for Oct. 19

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 18, 2006

      Prayers, please for a 3 year old girl who may be a victim of sexual abuse,
      for her siblings and parents and all their family. Prayers for all who die by
      their own hand. Prayers for Bishop-elect Robert Hennessy of Boston, newly
      appointed auxiliary there. May God bless and fill his ministry. Prayers for Adam
      and those he guides. Prayers for Dave and his family, travelling to Spokane
      for a safe trip and a restorative vactaion.Lord,, help us all as You know and
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      February 18, June 19, October 19
      Chapter 15: At What Times "Alleluia" Is to Be Said

      From holy Easter until Pentecost without interruption
      let "Alleluia" be said
      both in the Psalms and in the responsories.
      From Pentecost to the beginning of Lent
      let it be said every night
      with the last six Psalms of the Night Office only.
      On every Sunday, however, outside of Lent,
      the canticles, the Morning Office, Prime, Terce, Sext and None
      shall be said with "Alleluia,"
      but Vespers with antiphons.

      The responsories are never to be said with "Alleluia"
      except from Easter to Pentecost.

      REFLECTION

      It is not uncommon for me to get posts asking how on earth I can
      say "God's will is best." after recounting some litany of horrible things
      which have befallen people in need of our prayers. Well, now I up
      the ante a bit and add the equivalent of "Alleluia!" , "praise Him!"
      to each post.

      In every instance, even when it is all we can do to choke it out,
      gritting our teeth, we must always say Alleluia. God must always be
      praised, always, even when we cannot see goodness anywhere else
      at all, it *IS* in Him and must be acknowledged. I fully expect that,
      before long, new subscribers who have not seen this post will begin
      to write and ask me how and who I can say Alleluia after metastatic
      cancer and the like. Guess I'll have to save an answer in my file!

      We can see here that, in the West, already by St. Benedict's
      time, "Alleluia" became a happy word of celebration, the use of which
      was proscribed in somber times like Lent. That didn't happen in the
      East. They go merrily along with Alleluia, even in the depths of
      Lent. There might be a lot more sense to that, actually.

      "Alleluia" means "Praise the Lord!" I know we have taken it to mean
      something a lot more like "Whoopee!", but it doesn't. I bow to St.
      Benedict and Western tradition in the liturgical use. In our hearts,
      however, there should be an "Alleluia/praise the Lord" at all times
      and seasons. "Praise the Lord anyhow!" the charismatics used to say
      when something dreadful or unlovely happened to one. How true, how
      very true!

      I say this, not as complaint, but simply as information. My own life,
      by and large, has not been a happy one. I have not had the crosses
      of many, but I have had heavy, tailor-made ones of my own. Getting
      HIV two years before I became a monk comes to mind, as does
      living with it for nearly 17 years. So does depression, which just about
      equals it, and I was depressed LONG before I had HIV.

      I was not always very graceful about that, nor about many a heartbreak, but
      I do know and I can honestly say that God's will HAS been best, always
      best. My 20/20 hindsight must, though grudgingly at times, fully own
      that Alleluia was appropriate at every point, in every instance.

      Saying that does not mean that I can no longer be terrified at this or
      that prospect. I can. We all can. Jesus was in Gethsemane. It is a very
      human fear, and God finds our humanity, in which He sees His Son, very
      fetching. So don't freak out if you still get scared, it is part and parcel
      of
      our human condition. But even then, we must train ourselves to praise!

      In every heartbreak, in every despair, in every grief we must
      ardently cling to our faith that God is merciful and good. We must
      see that when we feel unable to see it. We must, by faith and sheer
      will, affirm that the Lord must be praised at all times. He is not
      mean. Whatever is bleak shall never, ever lack His tender, caressing
      hand behind it, no matter how unseen to us. It is there. He is there.
      Always! Praise the Lord! ALLELUIA!

      _jeromeleo@..._
      9T1senQyGs)