Holy Rule for Oct. 18

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2006
      +PAX

      Prayers, please for Nancy, flying home to be at her dying father's side, and
      for the happy death and eternal rest of her Dad. Prayers for Amanda, whom we
      have prayed for in the past, colonoscopy tomorrow may shed further light on
      her diagnosis. Deo gratias and prayers of thanks that Alex and Ian (for whom
      we
      prayed last November when they lost twins in the third month of pregnancy)
      are now into the fourth month of a new pregnancy and all seems to be going
      well. May God protect them and their unborn child. Prayers please for
      Diana undergoing gallbladder surgery today.

      Deo gratias and thanksgiving for Carol, on the first anniversary of her
      Oblation this week. Deo gratias and thanks for Barb, for whom we prayed, her
      second hip surgery went better than the first and she is home making great
      progress! Her son, David and all her family thank everyone for their prayers. Lord,
      help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and

      Chapter 14: How the Night Office Is to Be Said on the Feasts of the
      Saints

      On the feasts of Saints and on all festivals
      let the Office be performed
      as we have prescribed for Sundays,
      except that the Psalms, the antiphons and the lessons
      belonging to that particular day are to be said.
      Their number, however, shall remain as we have specified above.

      REFLECTION

      Every love life needs a bit of variety now and then, even the
      monogamous ones, even the celibate ones, and, let us face it, our
      prayer is (or ought to be!) a love life. Without marking certain days
      as special, our Office would quickly become a bland and tedious bore.
      On the other hand, mark too much as special and people soon get worn
      out. Variety itself becomes boring and a chore. What sane married
      couple would insist on spending every night in a different motel? One
      or both would quickly tire of that and it would destroy the very
      freshness and unity it was aiming to protect.

      Having lived in a monastery for part of the 1960's and 70's where the
      liturgy became the sad equivalent of a revolving door, changing often
      and not often well, I can speak from experience. It became dreadful
      to wonder what would happen next. It pulled out the necessary
      underpinnings of a certain stability and changelessness that
      a Benedictine life of prayer requires.

      Ah, but in the quest for simplicity carried to unfortunate extremes,
      it did, at times, become UTTERLY changeless. Same old same old, every
      single day with nothing different but the prayer at the end, if that.
      ("Oh boy, it must be Tuesday again....!") No antiphons, just psalms
      and canticles. No music other than the hymn, same seven each week for
      each hour, a few good, many bad.... No Glory be between Psalms, just
      one at the end. It was dull and gave even more of an impression
      of "let's just get this over with" than the old Office did at its
      very worst. One often wondered why we still bothered to go to choir.

      A balance between variety and stability is where the virtue truly
      lies. I have never heard anyone complain about singing or saying the
      same unchanging parts of the Mass every day, because they are set in
      the midst of elements that DO change every day. The same must be true
      of the Office to a certain extent. When SO much changes at feasts
      that one longs and pines for a weekday with one book and NOTHING
      special, that balance has been missed. On the other hand, the
      changeless mundane misses the balance as well. One should never have
      to come out of a "simple" Office and think quietly: "Wow, that was
      dumb...." (But I often have.)

      St. Benedict built the necessary change right into his Office for
      monasteries. Ignore his bottom line or extend it unduly and you get
      into trouble. In this instance, as in so many, he was far wiser than
      we are, than people of any age are.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2016

        +PAX

        Ardent prayers for W., addicted to porn and apparently undergoing severe demonic attacks, many prayers needed.

        Prayers for David and Morgan, on their first wedding anniversary, prayers, too, for a safe pregnancy and delivery of their first child.

        Prayers for James’ wife, struggling with stress and anxiety, prayers for James, too.

        Prayers for Lee, having kidney dialysis.

        Prayers for Phyllis, eye problems and hoping to avoid going blind.

        Prayers for Isabel, she has pneumonia.

        Prayers for Peter, paralyzed after neck surgery.

        Prayers for Josephine, she had Alzheimer’s and her son has died. Prayers, too for her son’s eternal rest, all their family and all who mourn him.

        Prayers for Cynthia, having five bones surgically removed from her foot and apprehensive about it, for a safe and successful procedure.

        Chapter 14: How the Night Office Is to Be Said on the Feasts of the
        Saints

        On the feasts of Saints and on all festivals let the Office be
        performed as we have prescribed for Sundays, except that the
        Psalms, the antiphons and the lessons belonging to that particular
        day are to be said. Their number, however, shall remain as we have
        specified above.

        REFLECTION

        Without marking certain days as special, our Office would quickly become

        a bland and tedious bore. On the other hand, mark too much as special and people

        soon get worn out. Variety itself becomes boring and a chore. One would quickly tire
        of that and it would destroy the very freshness and unity it was aiming
        to protect.

        Having lived in a monastery for part of the 1960's and 70's where
        the liturgy became the sad equivalent of a revolving door, changing
        often and not often well, I can speak from experience. It became
        dreadful to wonder what would happen next. It pulled out the
        necessary underpinnings of a certain stability and changelessness
        that a Benedictine life of prayer requires.

        Ah, but in the quest for simplicity carried to unfortunate
        extremes, it did, at times, become nearly changeless. Same old
        same old, every single day with nothing different but the prayer at
        the end, if that. ("Oh boy, it must be Tuesday again....!") Only one antiphon,
        or no antiphon, just psalms and canticles. No music other than the hymn,
        same seven each week for each hour, a few good, many bad.... No
        Glory be between Psalms, just one at the end. It was dull and gave
        even more of an impression of "let's just get this over with" than
        the old Office did at its very worst. One often wondered why we
        still bothered to go to choir.

        A balance between variety and stability is where the virtue truly
        lies. I have never heard anyone complain about singing or saying
        the same unchanging parts of the Mass every day, because they are
        set in the midst of elements that DO change. The same
        must be true of the Office to a certain extent. When SO much changes
        at feasts that one longs and pines for a weekday with one book and
        NOTHING special, that balance has been missed. On the other hand,
        the changeless mundane misses the balance as well. One should never
        have to come out of a "simple" Office and think quietly: "Wow, that
        was dumb...." (But I sometimes have.)